Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

willie_dee posted:

Bjj and wrestling guys, are toes getting wrecked from rolling a thing? Both my big toes are kinda bruised from 2 weeks ago and now one of my little toes is black and swollen to twice it's size. Theyn ever hurt at the time but then when I get home I notice them.

I broke a little toe rolling in college but I think that was kind of a freak thing. I didn't realize it was broken until I went to the doc a few weeks later because it still hurt. By that point it was healing crooked. You should probably go to the doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

willie_dee posted:

Bjj and wrestling guys, are toes getting wrecked from rolling a thing? Both my big toes are kinda bruised from 2 weeks ago and now one of my little toes is black and swollen to twice it's size. Theyn ever hurt at the time but then when I get home I notice them.

It's a thing, mostly with "cheaper" softer mats. Like puzzle mat and stuff that are super grippy. Zebra mat and judo tatami help that a whole lot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I tend to have more issues with the top of my big toe getting rubbed raw when I shoot a lot of shots. Unless someone is dropping knees on your toes, they should be bruising from you moving around.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Bumping this thread since it's been over a week.

What's everyone working on - I'm working on double underhooks from butterfly

Also please share any funny injuries

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There's a new guy, orthodox, 6'3" (5in taller), pretty standard Muay Thai. I've been sitting out for a couple weeks nursing injuries. I should write up a game plan for next time I get to spar with him.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Weave so low your rear end touches the canvas and then knock him right in the snot box with a stupendous uppercut right hook combination.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

There's a new guy, orthodox, 6'3" (5in taller), pretty standard Muay Thai. I've been sitting out for a couple weeks nursing injuries. I should write up a game plan for next time I get to spar with him.

Right overhand past the jab to close the distance. Stay uncomfortably close, but not too close - just within his straight punching reach to keep him thinking about moving backward or throwing slower, looping punches. Watch out for knees, but trips are a good way to disincentivize those.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Grandmaster.flv posted:

This for me too, oddly enough, shucking the arm to get to the back mainly. Also truck entries.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kekekela posted:

This for me too, oddly enough, shucking the arm to get to the back mainly. Also truck entries.

There's truck entries from butterfly now???

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Working on maintaining top and not letting a lovely sweep make me concede.

At a small inhouse tournament today a bunch of guys all got wrecked by each other, one ate a foot in the mouth from a guy that tried Sakuraba's secret technique, another got a foot stomped on his fingers and later dislocated his shoulder. some other guy got cut on the ball of his nose and bled a bunch everywhere. Another got hit by an an elbow on his ankle and tapped because of the pain, he was afraid it got fractured. Guess I got lucky, that room went hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nltcFB4kI

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

working on buying more sick gi patches, mostly

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KildarX posted:

There's truck entries from anywhere you could hit ko-uchi-gari, when you get right down to it

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have a new favourite turnover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0JVGcIYv8

This thing is dope as hell. Been flipping guys much heavier than me so easily. Worst case I force some hands to move away from their lapels so I can try and go for my favourite choke of all the time, the good old clock choke.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
What are the best guillotine from mount videos? I'd like to be able to attack something that isn't an arm. At the moment I go for a kimura and wait for the arm to be arm barable or finish it, but I'd like some more subs.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KildarX posted:

Probably, but that was supposed to be a separate thought.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Yesterday was the International Martial Arts Festival in Florida. The final event for their televised segment was the Longpoint South open longsword finals. You can check out the fight and the after-fight interview here: http://youtu.be/lZPOQDkcu4c

This is pretty big news for HEMA. It was apparently well received by the audience and production staff, and it was well-represented by the fighters at the event.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Yesterday was the International Martial Arts Festival in Florida. The final event for their televised segment was the Longpoint South open longsword finals. You can check out the fight and the after-fight interview here: http://youtu.be/lZPOQDkcu4c

This is pretty big news for HEMA. It was apparently well received by the audience and production staff, and it was well-represented by the fighters at the event.

id really like to enjoy HEMA and if you could get the following advice to the right people it would go a long way towards securing the wangsbig market: 'do something about the fat dorks nicking each other's hands with floppy swords and then retreating back to their corners'

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
So I just got back from a casual open mat rolling at my commercial gym with my training buddies and this random guy asks for a roll.

He destroyed me, destroyed me harder than I have ever been destroyed before.

Turns out hes a double Gold medal winner in the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam London at Purple belt level and is now a Brown belt at the most competitive/aggressive BJJ gym in my area.

He hasn't been able to find his matches on youtube from when he won. Apparently it was televised. Does anyone know where I would even start looking? His name was Hugh and he is 85kg.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Grappling: ha, count me in for also working on my butterfly guard. Just generally trying to tighten it up - grip fighting, proper positioning, attacks - arm drags and butterfly sweeps. For submissions, I've been practising knee on belly -> d'arce -> neck crank.

Striking: Coach has us working on hooking off the jab to change up the rhythm. And defense. Always defense.

Injuries: Became one year older two weeks ago and last week was the first time I've ever strained the outside of my hip from running around playing ultimate frisbee. So now I'm out for the next couple days. Yay to getting old. :toot:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Somebody posted a rant in this thread awhile back about how martial arts training was great for making friends because it combined all the different aspects of human bonding. One of them was shared hardship. Does anybody remember that post and know how I can find it?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Martelo de chão, which has the benefit of everyone in my group being bad at, and trying to recover confidence after a head injury three months ago. Got a rabo de arraia to the head; broke my nose, got a concussion, suddenly worse in the roda than I was before.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Hoover Dam posted:

Martelo de chão, which has the benefit of everyone in my group being bad at, and trying to recover confidence after a head injury three months ago. Got a rabo de arraia to the head; broke my nose, got a concussion, suddenly worse in the roda than I was before.

Does stuff like that happen often in capoeira?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Ideally, no. There are, as mentioned before, games and styles where you can do full contact, and of course when you're playing with a regular group in an informal game you can do a lot more silly poo poo than you can when it's a performance or a mixed group. But for the most part, the object is not to connect. In this case, my opponent went for a kick that's normally done straight up, but went out. I saw her go for the kick and dodged as though it would be coming from above. She's about the same height as I am, so her heel with her leg fully extended is roughly the height of my eyebrows. We both misjudged distance and time and CLUNK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWpoxVIhd_E

The kick in question

While I should have looked where I was dodging--I am really bad at reading the game yet--the burden is generally on the higher level player (her) to go easier on the lower level (me). So while I'm still shaky, she is too, fearing she'll injure someone else. It's a weird lesson to learn.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I did a little post bjj capoeria and the expectation was: if you don't move - you get hit. Everything was slow and telegraphed since we were all beginners, so it didn't take sweet pea level movement to keep safe.

Regardless a few people took a good whack because they just kinda froze up while a wheel kick glided towards their head. Then they looked all shocked and hurt. The Mestre kinda shrugged and said keep going. Was a good time.

Not saying you froze up sounds like you guys were about 10x the level we ever reached. I can see how poo poo can happen, it's so dynamic.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I have a new favourite turnover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0JVGcIYv8

This thing is dope as hell. Been flipping guys much heavier than me so easily. Worst case I force some hands to move away from their lapels so I can try and go for my favourite choke of all the time, the good old clock choke.

No one has tried to invert their guard or just roll on the arm you threw across their body?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We have Mauricio Gomes taking all our classes this week at Gracie Barra Northern Ireland - went to one yesterday evening and he's a very impressive guy. Hoping to get to another today and hopefully tomorrow.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

No one has tried to invert their guard or just roll on the arm you threw across their body?

In judo to stay facedown or turtled is too greatly incentivized in the rules, so people will just try to ride things out in that position.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

JaySB posted:

Inverting the guard is very rarely gonna happen in judo and if it did I'd be quite happy because that give me a chance to try and pass their guard/avoid mate. People stalling by being flat on their stomach and just hoping for mate is very very common since you have a few seconds to turn them over or else you're stood up. It's relatively easy to defend most turnovers for long enough to be stood up.

I don't see how they could roll on the arm? When I'm putting it across their body I am in a very strong position perpendicular to them if they they try to roll my way they aren'T going to accomplish anything. If they roll the other way then they give me side control. Once you catch the skirt of the judogi there is no way they will roll on your arm either. It puts a poo poo ton of pressure on them when you walk around them and once again I don't think people could just roll you over.

Anyway, try it to see if it works and I'd be happy to know if people found glaring weaknesses to it. I'll the people at my club so I can use it on people who know how to defend it and see if I can still make it work. Obviously if you do BJJ then someone being flat on their stomach is like a wrapped giftbox so there would be no incentive on just flipping them over

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
back in my judo club I was doing randori against a BJJ player. I did a failed ippon seio nage so I went straight into turtle defense. He put in his hooks being all excited to show off some groundwork. That was until I flattened out and he had to tap since I crushed his big toe. Fear the judo flattened position all you BJJ snobs.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I will not

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bangkero posted:

Fear the judo flattened position all you BJJ snobs.

Neck cranks all day.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I just love Sakuraba's secret move

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

KildarX posted:

Neck cranks all day.

Win by hansoku-make bitch get your neck cranking leg locking berimboloing weak rear end poo poo outta here.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is there a go-to site for BJJ tournament schedules? I'm looking to compete as a white belt, but it seems there are more tournaments for blue and above. I'm in Norcal if that makes a difference.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Right overhand past the jab to close the distance. Stay uncomfortably close, but not too close - just within his straight punching reach to keep him thinking about moving backward or throwing slower, looping punches. Watch out for knees, but trips are a good way to disincentivize those.

Should have mentioned that I'm southpaw.
He's very slow and low output as he's just getting back into the sport, but he's still pretty accurate and he knows how to use his reach really well.
He's got very competent jab-lead low kick and lead low kick-jab combos. The latter was really tricky because the normal amount of distance I'd step to get out of kick range wasn't enough to stay out of the last several inches of his jab.

I think for now, while there's a major speed difference, I'm going to work on moving in and off-line at the same time. Need to get under the jab and around his well-timing lead knee, which is pretty much at my sternum even without my ducking much.
If I go outside his jab, go cross to the body, pivot, lead hook to the head or uppercut to the body, rear body kick.
If I go inside his jab, rising jab to the head to tie up his jab, overhand, rear kick to body or lead leg. If he's not dropping back, maybe lead uppercut instead of kick.

Usually, trying to step outside someone orthodox is too slow, and they catch me with the jab or hook or cut me off.
But here, I have time and space under his jab to get really outside, where I have time to work before he ties up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

God drat I guess I didn't bookmark this new thread so I've been absent for a month. Hello everyone. Life is going a lot better since I quit my volunteer position at the local amateur boxing association but I am still living the lard life.

Anyway here's what I came to post and had to find the thread again: Boxing Canada's head physician put together a presentation on weight cutting

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sick chain wrestling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwN4dOkKDPw

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
The Gracie breakdown of man vs panda was pretty amusing.

Anyone have any experience training at Miller Brothers MMA or rolling against people from their gym? http://www.millerbrothersmma.com/ I have a chance to visit them next week if I can sneak away from my cousin's wedding festivities.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

willie_dee posted:

I jammed my big toe twice in one night at Judo and it took 11 months to get full ROM back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
So at MMA one of the coaches sons was teaching boxing and he said to keep my back foot parallel to my front, but I watched a tonne of boxing online yesterday and I don't think I saw a single boxer do that. Whats the deal?