Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've been Pro-Wrestling now for nearly a year and Jesus Christ fake-fighting is so much harder to grasp than actual fighting, that being said a new BJJ school has opened up literally walking distance from where I live, I'm pretty excited about this and have been attending sporadically (mostly due to shift work) but I'm soon to change my job to more normal hours and can hopefully attend more frequently......who knows I may even finally get a blue belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Siivola posted:

How many pro wrestling moves have you tried to import into your BJJ game?

I admit I've tried to apply a walls of Jericho or a sharpshooter during rolling, after seeing the CM punk documentary I'm tempted to try a stunner.

As for bumps and the comparison to breakfalls, it's pretty similar but in wrestling you sell it more usually by getting a bit of air between you and the ground before landing etc.

Wrestling is fun as hell, I take to performing techniques very well it's the match structure and psychology I find difficult.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

SnatchRabbit posted:

What's your guys take on standup sparring with takedowns, groundwork, but super light striking technique? I train at a BJJ gym and for the most part we train for straight BJJ sport and competitions, so no striking at all. However, recently we've had a few guys who are preparing for MMA fights come through so during sparring we'll start standing, w/ MMA gloves, throwing super light boxing and KB technique to work your way into a clinch. From there it's takedowns into BJJ w/ strikes on the ground. Obviously, you're just tapping the guy with your fist to let him know he's open to strikes. I find that mixing in strikes, however light, completely changes the dynamics of grappling. I guess my question is how useful is this from self-defense as well as sport/MMA/conditioning perspective? I found that I really enjoyed this type of sparring because it puts together all the things I love about striking and grappling without really having to worry about head trauma.

A fun drill I've done a few times is to start in mount position with the person on top in big rear end boxing gloves going for relatively light ground and pound techniques whilst the person on the bottom attempts to escape, being punched changes everything when grappling...

If your ever likely to be in a self defence situation and end up mounted your most likely going to deal with punches, it always pissed me off when I was a trainer for police civilian staff (custody jailers) I wasn't allowed to teach any ground defence like mount escapes because "some of the staff members are older and out of shape"

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I figure this'll be a good place to ask, I injured my ankle on Sunday at training it's sprained, anyone have any good advice on getting active with a sprained ankle? My job is quite active and involves ladder climbing etc so I'm off work today but I'm hoping to get back to it asap.

Are supports worthwhile? Or tape etc

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Well, my foray into the world of pro wrestling is certainly having an effect on me, the head coach likes to occasionally get guest instructors in for a seminar and recently he got a local BJJ instructor to come teach us some "shoot-wrestling".... it turned out to be the guy I started learning BJJ from drat near 7-8 years ago, the seminar was awesome and has inspired me to join up at his school which is literally on the road I live on.
It's a little more than I'd normally like to pay out at £70 a month for unlimited training in BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing,Judo and MMA/NoGi the timetable is absolutely stacked which is awesome as I'll hopefully be able to squeeze out my money's worth (I work a shift pattern of 2 days 2 nights 4 off).

It's going to be interesting starting again as I haven't trained a striking martial art in nearly nearly 2 years and haven't done regular grappling for at least 5-6 years.

This is the school I'm referring to https://www.1gmma.com

The only issue I have is a bit of a weird one, when I said that he used to train me when I first started BJJ it was at my old martial arts school and he didn't leave on good terms with the owner (my old muay thai instructor) it was all a bit of a weird situation but I know there's some bad blood between them, although I don't train at his school anymore he was a good dude and I feel like I should at least let him know this is what I've decided to do.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My dudes, I haven't commented in a while but I keep reading, I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment, I had a couple of weeks off from work/training and I'm really struggling to drum up the motivation to train, I still go to pro wrasslin training each week but I haven't been to my martial arts school in nearly a month!!

I can't put my finger on what it is as normally I'm pumped to go, I have been busy recently with work coupled with some minor financial woes that have crept up on me but it's not like I'm having a rough time.
I do have some issue with my shoulder that plays up that I'm a bit concerned about (I'm booked in to get it checked Thursday but it's been a long time coming) I still keep up with my lifting it's just the martial arts.

How do you guys get over these periods????

(FYI: I didn't specify what martial arts as I work shifts so I generally just do whatever the school has on that day, it's mostly Thai,Bjj,Boxing and MMA but they also do judo and yoga as well as strength and conditioning classes)

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Yeah you guys are right, I just need to bite the bullet and get into it...
I've got a few days before I can make a class so I'll keep up the weights until then.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

old.flv posted:

Willie could pull off a British Matt Riddle

The British don't need a Matt Riddle, the American Matt Riddle is always here anyway

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I finally got to class after bitching that I'd lost motivation to train in this thread a while back, did some Muay Thai and some boxing it was awesome! I was slow and gassed out quickly but somehow I seem to have more power in my legs and arms.

Next week back to grappling

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

generatrix posted:

I can't remember if it was here or on the BJJ Reddit, but a while back there was discussion of pulling off pro-wrestling moves in real sparring. My previous best contribution to that was grabbing both ankles on the way up from a backflip escape from high mount, to get the reverse mount double Achilles lock, a.k.a. The Boston Crab.

So this morning I'm rolling with someone and we end up in a wonky leg entanglement. Both of his feet were outside my hip, but mine were basically in a bad guard around his hips. I couldn't get anything on his ankles from the angle I was at, but I could trap them and I had good control of our position. So, I rolled us over, stood up, sat back, and locked his ankles against each other...

I have now tapped someone with The Sharpshooter.

Anyone else hit any ridiculous "fake" moves lately?

Pretty much every pro-wrestling move you can think off will have a way of "shooting" it, The Sharpshooter similar to the boston Crab/Walls of Jericho can be made painful as gently caress just by leaning back and causing immense pressure on the lower back (see the difference between Bret Hart's shooter and the Rock's), the sharpshooter can also be made worse by pushing a hand underneath the persons lower leg and pulling up with your free hand whilst leaning back this pulls the blade of your forearm against the person's calf and it SUCCCCCKKKKSSSSSSSSSS.

Yeah I'm making my pro-wrestling debut next month under the name Jeff Leopard I'm pretty excited

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Siivola posted:

Getting thrown hard like that is scary at first, but eventually you get used to it. Some people even start enjoying it!

Those people are called Pro Wrestler's.....

Suplexes like that are actually really easy to land safely from despite what they look like just remember to tuck your chin.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

DandyLion posted:

The problem with ANY kind of retaliation in Britain is that the criminals can turn around and sue (and often win) any kind of action like that. Citizens are implored to not interact in ANY way and to only let the Bobbies deal with it (or likely not).

Not necessarily, reasonable force can be used to protect yourself/someone else/your property/someone else's property, of course their is that term "Reasonable" involved which is somewhat vague.
Provided this could be proved and the individual had an honest held belief that they/someone else/property was endanger then the courts wouldn't even bother with it.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Hello guys, I have an eye condition called Keratoconus that I’ve had several surgical procedures for, I’ve been recommended by my eye doctor that I use some form of eye protection, I’ve googled around but can’t seem to find anything suitable for kickboxing/jiu jitsu does anyone have any idea on what I should be looking for???

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Greetings thread, I haven’t really piped up in a few years as my time on the Mats has fallen by the wayside due to me concentrating more on pro wrestling (I’ve started a new tag team that’s getting over locally quite nicely and I’m not getting any younger do I want to do a run for a few years then move to a non-wrestling role) I still do a bit of BJJ and Muay Thai when I can…

However my reason for posting isn’t this, instead I came to ask about (and I know self defence is something that comes up here a lot) if anyone has come across Tony Blauers SPEAR system? I’m going to be coaching it as it’s part of my job and whilst I like the concept of it (an extension of natural flinch reaction) I’m not sure I’m convinced of it’s effectiveness

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The "effective" martial arts are the ones that people do as a sport, period, full stop, because the only way to become effective is to have some framework for training with full-contact sparring. And then competition becomes the crucible that filters out the bullshit.

anyway from a cursory google search the thing you mentioned looks terrible

That's the thing though, its not a full martial arts system its a transitional technique that is meant to be an extension of a natural flinch reaction to an attack, then you go into your jiu jitsu/kickboxing etc

yes full combat training and sparring is great but it also comes with consent and that's the big difference between sport fighting and self defence.

Like a said I'm not fully sold on the technique, i do like the outside 90 position as a way to create strength and have effectively used it during grappling rounds I'm just curious as I'm going to be instructing these techniques to my work colleagues and hve been unsuccessful in finding any live usage of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

CommonShore posted:

So it's a feint.

Seriously, it's irresponsible to present an incomplete fighting system to untrained people as self-defense, or even as a component of self-defense. It's like telling someone that wearing a jean jacket is a substitute for having a helmet when they're on a motorcycle: it gives a false sense of security and then causes death in the moment of truth.

It’s not a feint, it’s a flinch, a feint is still a technique that requires the knowledge that an attack is imminent, the spear technique is based on the instinctual reaction to cover up in response to in unprovoked attack and is meant to be taught alongside another combat system such as jiu jitsu or kickboxing or some other form of personal protection.

It’s something that isn’t generally covered in most martial arts which are generally geared more towards sports fighting or a toe to toe scenario, spear is aimed more at a sucker punch scenario.

Again I’m not trying to champion it as I’ve done the training and don’t necessarily perceive it to be that effective…..however I like the idea of training for that unprovoked attack to build on a natural reaction.

I