Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There's very little detail on the website about what they actually teach, which is kinda shady. The rashguards say "TSMMA" but it looks like they're mostly doing karate? You'd usually expect a breakdown of classes, which arts are taught when, who the teachers are and a breakdown of their qualifications and competition records.

There are legit pro fighters based out of Tiger Schulmann's here in NYC. Like any gym it's going to depend on who the instructors there are, but it's not a McDojo in the traditional sense, despite making a lot of their money teaching longpants kickboxing to children.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

I'm looking at getting into some kind of martial art, and I initially thought Krav Maga sounded cool based on basically no information. Having read this thread, I've decided that's not a great idea and started looking into some of the ones that were under the 'practical' section of the previous OP. I did Shotokan Karate when I was 10 or so, but never got on with how 'theoretical' it all seemed.

I've looked into a few places that do Judo and BJJ around me (and to a lesser extent Kickboxing/Muay Thai but I'm a pussy and might not enjoy being hit in the face), and I'm undecided so I'm gonna give some places a try. I think I'd like to train in something that had a mixture of striking and grappling as opposed to focusing entirely on one, but by the look of it that's pretty much just an MMA thing?

Still, I'm excited!

There are combat sports other than MMA which incorporate striking and grappling, like sanshou and combat sambo. But yeah, if you're interested in both you're much more likely to just find an MMA gym that has kickboxing and grappling instruction.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TheChimney posted:

Does anyone have experience with this gym?

http://www.mebjj.com

It looks like a great place to train.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Got my ankle popped while i was getting an inside heel hook applied onto me. It felt as if a few big bubbles were popping in my foot. Didnt hurt much after a minute or two but my foot is kinda tender today. Ive iced it a little. Can anyone tell me if rehab or special treatment should be done and for how long?

Someone can in fact tell you if rehab or treatment is a required! (a doctor)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

systema is really dumb

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Legal in BJJ, but not all gi sports.

e: fb

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 24, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tai Chi is actually very strong.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Yes, there is resisting uke practice. There's all teaching counters to techniques being applied. One of my favorite instructors is a retired police officer. He's great at resisting techniques and showing how to apply it correctly.

Resistance, in this case, means sparring. Not "I'm going to let you do the throw but use my strength to make it more difficult."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you're getting into a "poo poo ton" of situations where you have to talk your way out of violence then you are very bad at aikido and self-defense in general.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fwiw owning a handgun is one of the worst things you can do from a self-defense standpoint

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LionArcher posted:

I'm talking about training with one extensively with trained experts blah blah blah. Not just buy one and go out twice a month shooting. I agree that's loving stupid.

How good you are at shooting it isn't the point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

So I've been going to BJJ for about a year now. It is hard to believe. I have been trying to keep up with my rolling but lately I'm running into a couple of consistent problems. The first is that I always seem to set myself up for armbars from virtually any position almost without fail, but that's obviously just something I have to keep working on.

The second is the question I'd like to ask the thread: when you're rolling with someone, what's the best way to initiate the roll? Usually when I'm rolling with someone else, we'd both start in combat base and try for a few grips, then the other guys always sort of bull into me and get me in a bad position. Evidently I need to rethink my approach. What are some good methods for starting off a roll?

Starting from standing is by far the best, otherwise start from a position you want to work on. Actually trying to do "takedowns" when you're both on your knees is dumb as poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

For the teenage girls class we did recently, our central message was you are worth defending - if you find yourself in a situation that makes you uncomfortable, to have the confidence to trust your instincts and get out.

That is extremely good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Freestyle Sambo is the best ruleset but it's dead now so :shrug:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

that's not what gaslighting means though

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

T.S. Smelliot posted:

So after 5 years of destroying my body through a combination of incredible stress, odd hours and poo poo eating, I switched careers to one that has way better hours and found out one of my old MT instructors opened up his own gym locally that charges 80/mo for unlimited or 60/mo for 2/week,im real tempted to get back in. I really want to get my own bag in the garage too. His gym is a p legit hole in the wall warehouse as a legit gym usually is and I trust his instruction. Should I try and work out a bit first so I don't show embarrassingly out of shape compared to what I was or what

E: no contracts or any Bullshit like that

thinking you need to get in shape before you go get in shape is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Be kind to your training partners please

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I use a theracane, it's smaller and easier to move around.

https://www.amazon.com/Thera-Cane-JMAS5000-Massager/dp/B000PRMCJU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

hi liter posted:

Do ya'll train with any cops? I know that a few I've trained with some in the past, as well as vets in the past, but the politics around both those issues has....changed in the last few years.

Any good stories?

One of the assistant coaches at my sambo club is a court officer who also does some kind of security thing at the UN. He's a judo black belt and medaled at the World Police & Fire Games a few years ago. He's a short, fat bald guy and rolling with him is like trying to wrestle a boulder.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 12, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

not everyone is the martial arts game for ~street self defense~ or whatever (and check yourself if you are because lol).

what's actually a concern is that the dude's conclusion is 'oh maybe aikido would work just not against a trained fighter' instead of 'aikido would never work against an aggressive assailant'

I want the video where the 13-year Aikido guy goes up against a spazzy 3-month MMA guy who doesn't know how to pull his punches

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

the guy probably thinks he spent 13 years having a good time and exercising and learning some minor stuff and thats totally cool

Watch the end of the video, he still thinks that stuff would work against someone who doesn't "train to fight"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

I ended up unintentionally injuring one of our black belts today :(

Knee cutter pass might have torn his muscle.

Did you absorb his black belt, Highlander-style?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Lots of fun, limited martial application. Hope you like singing and group sex

ftfy

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want to compete regularly, boxing is kind of tough because of what's involved in setting up fights even as an amateur. I'd say karate (kyokushin or shotokan) is probably a better bet, since competitions are divided by belt rank.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Music Theory posted:

If running away is the ultimate form of self defense, then is free running the ultimate martial art?

making GBS threads your pants is actually the ultimate form of self defense, so you could say that by posting on SA we are all the ultimate martial artists

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Martial Arts Thread: They Called Me Mr. Glass

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dennis McClaren posted:

Read the OP but didn't find anything prohibiting this type of question..

I'm a 6'2" athlete and bodybuilder. I'm interested in just throwing people around and learning joint locks, stuff like that. I work as a doorman a lot, and despite my size and strength, I can be easily dropped by someone that knows how to bend my wrist the wrong way etc. I would be interested in learning how to do that, and prevent it from happening to me lol.

Out of the styles I've been looking at, Judo seems to maybe be what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in learning striking so much. So if my focus is learning throws and locks, defensive stuff mainly, should I look at Judo? Or is BJJ or something similar a better start?

Both are good. You're going to spend more time on your feet doing throws in judo. But really it'll probably be determined more by what the good coaches near you do.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dennis McClaren posted:

Okay perfect that's exactly what I'm looking for then! Thanks.

No that was just hypothetical. No ones been sober enough to perform something as technical as that against me. The reason I used it as an example was because I worked with a guy that fought/trained MMA and was also a bouncer. He showed me how to execute a sort of wrist lock against someone when they lunge for your hand. It stuck with me because he showed me how to execute it with me as an example, and it completely immobilized me. He's about half my size and weight so if he can do it I'm sure someone else could!

I mean if you get in a fight with someone who trains in MMA even semi-seriously you're going to get your rear end kicked, and it isn't because you don't know how to defend a wrist lock. But judowns and will absolutely make you much more calm and capable during a physical confrontation. It'll also make you realize that if you throw an untrained person onto a surface that isn't a mat they're going to be horribly maimed at best and it's probably something you don't want to do.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 7, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

madjdmyo posted:

Is anyone from the Oklahoma City area? I'm looking to start training in Judo or BJJ and I've googled around and the highest rated one was at LOVATO'S SCHOOL OF BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU & MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (http://okbjj.com/). Has anyone has any experience with it or could recommend me another school? Probably a long shot.

Rafael Lovato Jr. is a very famous BJJ and MMA guy and a world champion, arguably the greatest American BJJ player ever. Go train with him :yeah:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Juanito posted:

What kind of shirts should I use for MMA/Sanda? I've got a Nike Dri-Fit shirt that I really like, because it's not tight, and I sweat a lot. Maybe a few more of these? Is there a cheaper version that holds up? I don't really care much about the brand..

Spandex always and forever.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rest when you're hurt.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Fujiwara Armbar is awesome and actually kinda reliable if you have good Russian tie pressure.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thanks guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should be concentrating on as a blue belt? I have been playing a lot of half guard deep half stuff as of late (this morning was the electric chair sweep), but just kind of wondering what I should be doing as a blue belt or any recommendations from previous blue belts on what I should avoid.

wrestling

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Turn heel and call yourself Acid Face.

The Keyboard Warrior

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A BJJ school telling you to leave because you're too skinny is loving bizarre. Like, to the point where I'm seriously doubting that happened, unless someone was joking with you and you took it seriously. Which I guess is possible, because goons.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Sick tip 4 tha streetz: gi moves also work by grabbing handfuls of skin

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

So essentially, anything you can do outside of the gi you can do in the gi but it doesnt work that way vice versa.

Not really. There's a ton of no-gi stuff that really doesn't work in gi because of the way people can grab and control you.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

His striking is pretty bad, guard too low, kicks arent fluid.

He has good instincts wrt grappling, I didn't see him do anything super super stupid, which is better than a lot of people who come in off the streets only looking at UFC or youtube. She flubbed the crap out of the single leg attempt/made a really lazy attempt at a single and he jumped on it and took her back. If he had any more experience he could have easily produced a credible RNC attempt out of it. Other than that he appears to be doing strong new guy jiu jitsu and over exerts himself because of it.

This is the problem with people who only learn to grapple with BJJ, they have no mean poo poo they can pull out in a grudge match like a power double or riding a shinlock for 10 minutes until the other guy's calf looks like a rotten banana.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

You mentioned you liked doing shinlocks and I know nothing about them besides I believe Josh Barnett using one during one of his metamoris matches. Is there a good video on positions or concepts on the subject?

Come back to NY and I'll give you a lesson :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhJRHQDsyE

This is the basic idea, you want to be on the inside of their shinbone. I tend to use my knee or shin for it while pinning their leg to the mat more than my elbows, as a part of my passing game and also to punish people who sit in guard as a matter of principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

As an aside, I've had a couple different black and brown belts come up to me when I've used a shinlock to tell me it's not a real submission and that while it's painful, you won't break someone's leg or cause injury with it and I should try something else. Which pisses me off, because it absolutely can cause serious damage and if you're telling basically telling your guys not to tap to a sub because it isn't "real" then you're going to get them hurt. But I can't exactly yell at a black belt while I'm wearing a white belt so I usually just shrug.