Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Is there a general rule about smashing people if you are a bigger guy? I've had this conversation with my instructor and hes like "go at it!" if someone is around my weight (I weigh 230), but honestly I don't really pressure someone unless they are way heavier or as heavy than me. For example this morning my partner was a girl that weighed about 150 and asked very politely not to put all my weight on her when practicing this move, but honestly I kind of feeling that I'm cutting myself short if I don't. I don't want anyone to get hurt so I respect those requests (which I did with her) but in my morning classes it's usually lighter people than me that I train with (200 and under I would guess). Should they just expect that they should have to put their skills to use against a bigger person and suck it up? At least thats the way I feel about it because there are guys even bigger than me that I have rolled with, but I can also see the point of not wanting to get injured too.

I dont know, Im stuck on this one...

Don't be a dick. But don't be lazy. I apply pressure to make it uncomfortable for my partner but I don't just sit there and smash them and hold them. Allow people to move it will improve their escapes and your transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ihop posted:

If they're significantly better than me you bet I'm going to utilize as much pressure and weight as I possibly can.

I feel like this is only hurting you. Anyone significantly better than you is going to know it and will adjust their game as such. If you roll at 100% they'll got at 100% and you're gonna lose. Apply enough pressure to force an anticipated response and then react to that response accordingly. If you're applying a ton of pressure and weight and you lose the position you're probably thinking "well poo poo what do I do now"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I know this is going to sound kind of like a stupid question but isn't that what a heavy bag is for? Practicing your techniques at 100% or close to it?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Honestly I feel like grappling sports are way more dangerous because if someone doesn't play safe you have a lot of chance to bend/break someone badly or put way too much body weight on a bad area.

In striking you just get your lights knocked out for a second

Well you're wrong...

And repetitive head trauma is probably worse for you than a singular joint or bone injury

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If you're looking something to take for fitness, I'd highly suggest boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai instead. If you don't spar you take the competition aspect out of it and it's likely to be a significantly better work out than playing fake touch butt with some dudes in the park.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Future Willie_Dee
http://www.bjpenn.com/boxing-news/video-nutty-internet-bully-asks-people-light-sparring-goes-shady-ko/

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I prefer this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp0eFFRslk4

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

How can you not see the difference between some lady doing cardio and a dude with literal roid rage

Could you tone your SJW down a bit?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was looking for a place to train on my upcoming vacation and I stumbled upon this gem
http://www.calmartialarts.com/sifub.shtml

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i'm a social justice mage, you fucker

Shoulda been a Paladin. Scrub.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I bought one, will review it on Amazon as oversized anal beads.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Do any of you guys have a Flo Grappling subscription? Im thinking of subscribing for the NA ADCC coverage this weekend alone. Just wondering if the rest of it is worth the money each month.

All the Fight To Win Promotions are worth watching there's a TON of videos on there....It's not bad.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

That guy looks like he has no clue how to defend a double or a guillotine and has never done a day of jiu jitsu in his life. That being said, Imanari roll and heel hook the gently caress out of him.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Unless "X Gon' Give It To Ya" played it was a waste.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Darlok posted:

Thanks guys. I just got a video of both rounds if anyone cares to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibVnRvl6m0

I feel like the two biggest things I need to work on are my reaction time to strikes and not gassing out horribly, presumably due to adrenaline.

Looks like you duck to the same side almost every time before you throw that overhand lead. Probably could work on setting up your strikes a little more in combos rather than throwing bombs. And could have hooked his leg once you locked the triangle to prevent him from trying to stack you.

Great job though, good finish and well done on toughing through a couple spots.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

From the comments in that video, which one of you is this:
"My Aikido instructors cross-train in Judo, BJJ and boxing, and they developed their strategies sparring with a kickboxing instructor. I know it's tempting to poo poo on every variation of Aikido in existence, but there's a spectrum of training methods and applicability.

I could walk into majority of Aikido dojos, which train only cooperatively, and throw their black belts (of comparable size or smaller) against their will, simply because we train with resistance and random attacks, and are allowed to wrestle and horse around on the mat, while most Aikido places stick to "high spiritual ground" sort of training."

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Since we're talking about Joseph Valtellini:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWBP7YNm10A

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I train 4-5x a week. When I started I was going twice a day 4 days a week...Needless to say I get my $100/mo worth.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Eh, I think the major dislike for Krav Maga is that literally anyone can go to a seminar and become a "certified instructor" and that is just bad all around. That and it might encourage people to think they can defend themselves in a knife fight or from multiple attackers after just a few months

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Do both. There's more control in gi and it's a slower pace. I think gi favors the person on offense and no gi favors the one on defense.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Hard to tell too much about his striking but his wrestling and jiu jitsu look pretty good.

How's your boxing?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Any time I think of Capoeira I'm drawn to the movie Only The Strong

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Where to start with leg locks in bjj?

Dean Lister has a ton of good content online regarding leg locks, Josh Hayden's 80/20 system is very good, obviously anything from anyone in the Danaher/Renzo camp, 10th Planet, Ryan Hall

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Brutal break glad you're in good spirits about it. The only thing I can think of is that the angle your arm landed at plus the force of the slam and his arms driving into your forearm caused the break.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So my wife and I had a baby recently, and she's starting to get really freaked out by all the weird poo poo that strangers say and do to people carrying/pushing babies. She's never had much interest in martial arts, but I think she's looking for some kind of assertiveness training? Can you guys think of any type of training that basically lets you practice basically yelling at strangers for being rude in public?

I know some self-defense courses include an element like this, but I'm not sure what search terms to use.

Sam Kinison standups on repeat?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

I think Pedro Sauer teaches somewhere around there. I don't know much about his schools but he does a pretty educational seminar. *shrug* Dudes an old school Gracie dude that focus' on the self defense stuff.

Pedro Sauer is one of the greatest.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Get to the point where you can pretty much beat up anyone who doesn't train like you and the confidence to put people in their place when they get froggy becomes completely natural.

You realize that you have no idea who the other person who might get "froggy" is or what they're capable of right? This false sense of over confidence will get you killed.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Omglosser posted:

Recommendations for bjj/mma schools in the Minneapolis area? Preferably not cult-y or having an overly serious attitude. Something more for a hobbyist.

There's a Rickson Gracie school in Minneapolis I'd probably start there. The Alliance affiliate could be good. A brief glance of the rest of them are basically meh. Beware of anyone who says they are a black belt but doesn't list who they got it from.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I legit don't see how you can take amateur fights without being on steroids if the USA scene is anything like the C league here in the UK. Everyone is on them, so the logic is that your opponent will be, so there's no harm in you being on them.

Willie with another enlightening bit of "logic"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

I didn't think doping was illegal because to my knowledge IBJJF only instituted testing really recently and only to black belt winners at worlds?

Somehow Buchecha is clean though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Can't wait for Willie to get stabbed

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Watch the greatest movie ever made: Roadhouse.

Wesleeeeeyyyyyy!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Willie inching closer to his destiny every day

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Work on the parts of your game that suck

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I have a tendency to let them pass because my half guard game is somewhat decent. I need to work on that :(

I agree with the others. Work on guard retention and side control escape. Maybe work on transitions and maintaining dominant positions as well and focus less on trying to finish.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The martial arts expert kneed her in the face and then smashed her head into the ground for no reason, then gave her a 30 second instructional?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yesssssss Willie will become The Punisher.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Loucks posted:

Edit: not trying to threadshit. I’m actually here for advice on martial arts but happened to look at the last few posts before reading much of the thread. Every place I’ve found nearby seems like a “McDojo.” :(

Where are you located and what are you trying to learn how to do?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Loucks posted:

Just north of Indianapolis. I want something that includes grappling and throws. BJJ has always interested me since someone talked me into watching an early UFC championship bout even though it didn’t seem appealing and one of the Gracies clowned his opponent. Mostly the concern is getting quality instruction in something and not throwing money at RexKwonDo.

I honestly can't tell you anything about this place but they teach BJJ near you. The head instructor is a brown belt under a black belt who got his black belt from someone who seems pretty legit though.
http://fishersbrazilianjiujitsu.com

JaySB fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Whatever you do, do not listen to Willie