Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

but maybe I'm just naive?

No offense, but it's this. The more time you spend in a combat sport the more time you'll realize that relative size and strength paired with athletic ability can make a huge factor in fighting.

People 30lbs heavier than you just hit different. Trained vs untrained is a different story but this whole discussion began with a guy who's trained and 90lbs heavier than another guy who also trains but has a skill advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

So in that video, yeah the big guy is gonna manhandle the little guy because the technique knowledge isn't really there.

That's a completely untrained person (in grappling) vs a white/blue belt...So, sure a purple belt or higher is probably gonna be able to negate that.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I guess I wonder at what part if the breaking point when someone with a lot of experience goes against someone with very little or none at all.

Somewhere, you don't want to find out along the way. There's a ton of variables, did the untrained person play sports? etc etc. Elite level athletes even if untrained in fighting are going to be a handful to deal with because of explosive strength and athleticism. Guy who benches 400+ lbs can probably generate some force with a punch. Guy who weighs 250lbs+ and played college football probably isn't gonna be easy to takedown, etc etc.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

starkebn posted:

I think if Conor had plenty of room to keep distance he would just outlast someone huge.

Conversely, what if The Mountain just decided to play the waiting game and waited for Conor to engage then bullrushed him? He doesn't HAVE to pursue him the whole time like he did in that video. I recently saw a video of him deadlifting 1014lbs like it was nothing he could literally blast Conor into orbit

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My biggest fear is to get unmotivated and stop going, yet again. All I can do is just stop worrying, not care about what other people might think of me, and try to have fun. It really helped my broken brain in the past so there's no reason why it shouldn't help again this time.

I'm glad to be back in it and hope I do well.

Just go and keep going, if you ever need motivation from someone, pop back into the thread anytime and we will all happily tell you to go practice murder.

More importantly, have fun.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

DandyLion posted:

its not illegal if its just practice

"Officer, we slapped hands and bumped fists first."
"Oh, well then, you're free to go."

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mods, please change the thread title to The Defence Lab

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

2nd class. I went to the beginner class this time. More warm ups than the other class to get my fat rear end in shape. The only thing I still can't do is anything involving somersaults because just one will make me dizzy and fall over. :shrug:

We spent a small part of the class working on our stance and most of the class grabbing the gi by the wrist and the lapel and pulling down a few times and then one to set up for a guillotine which we also did. I tapped early of course but if you do 20+ of them it's going to hurt eventually. My throat is in pain.

It was fun. No rolling this time since it's the beginner class and it was all white belts and one blue belt.

We have a thread that specializes in platonic man hugging, if you'd like to join us over there:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Just make the trek a couple times a week to Boston and go to Sityodong.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Smith doesn't really talk about attempting to take the guy down and restrain or choke him out.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

He probably remembered you don’t sell PPV buys with takedowns and restraint.

I didn't realize it was possible for you to be the worst poster in multiple threads.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Fell Fire posted:

Does anyone know a good brand of resistance bands? One of the senseis at my dojo has been posting videos and it would help when following along.

I have a set of Rubber Banditz bands and they're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Yeah but the pitch (as summarized by my buds) was that it's better for the recipient of the blow.

So basically your gym buds don't have listening comprehension.