Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Tread carefully, many normal people just like you have landed a successful ippon seoi nage in randori and have become addicted to judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Siivola posted:

Oh, speaking of fake martial arts!

Morihei Ueshiba, developer of aikido, was hired to teach Japanese special ops martial arts during the WWII. He eventually got sacked and replaced by a karate dude because the soldiers couldn't make the techniques work. :v:

This is loving awesome. Do you have a link or something that could verify this? I keep getting "aikido works cuz o sensei trained military guys" type stuff on google searches.

With all this Wing Chun talk, here's a video I found that accurately depicts the level of real-life combat effectiveness you'll get from training it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EebdGO3zABk

On a serious note, I've always wanted to (if I had the loving time/money) just go and learn all kinds of the bullshit martial arts like aikido etc etc, just to see if there's anything effective that could be found in them. Whether it be a technique, philosophy, footwork, takedown/clinch entry, you know, something. I think a big problem with these kinds of dojos is the teachers have a self-obligation to try and 'sell' their art to people to get and keep students, so they have to hole down and say "NO NO NO IT WORKS YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND" when faced with scrutiny.(in my bjj class the teacher's attitude towards new people is "if they like it they'll stay") In that sense I feel like anything that might be effective would be thrown to the wayside or overlooked/underutilized because the training/teaching focus is more on the belt curriculum and tradition and sales points, rather than aliveness and the evolution of finding effective techniques. It would be cool to take techniques and whatever else from these bullshido arts and take them OUT of their element and apply them elsewhere, just for fun. Just to see if something new and effective could be born from something lame because someone took the time to apply aliveness to it.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Jack Slack gets some poo poo on these boards, but he has a number of articles where he does exactly this - identifying bullshido techniques or similar things working in high-level MMA bouts. The two I can remember are that he did a Wing Chun analysis of one of the Lawler-Hendricks fights (which were both significantly trapping-range fights), and he found a bunch of goofy Karate poo poo from goofy katas that Machida pulled off in real fights with slight modifications..

Interesting...I just read one of his articles, he seems level headed and pragmatic in his analyses. Thanks!

Siivola posted:

Ellis Amdur mentions it in his book Dueling With O-Sensei, and I saw an old interview with the karate guy who replaced him recently, but I can't find it right now. I very much recommend the book, by the way.

Edit: Oh hey, I found it!

Thank you!! I've been poking at the idea of writing a book about Ueshiba/Aikido with a very critical tone, this will definitely help. I was inspired by his biography A Life in Aikido. There was a passage where his son wrote about Osensei becoming enraged at a young American boy for throwing a rock and chasing him down the street before falling in a puddle or something. His son was afraid that he would've killed the boy had he caught him. I read this and was like WTF how can anyone read this and still see Ueshiba as some kind of peaceful, patient, spiritually enlightened master? Sounds like a petty, arrogant, grumpy old fart to me.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I did MMA for several years and I was frustrated at how badly I do at BJJ, compared to others who started at the same time with no experience. Then one day we incorporated striking defense from the bottom and something 'clicked' - everything made sense and I'd be armbarring motherfuckers from guard like nothing. Something about the added pressure of being punched either awoke my old training or urged my mind into a state of focus that just regular rolling/my poo poo discipline could manage on its own. I still suck at jiujitsu but it was refreshing to know that I have some level of competence somewhere under certain conditions. Highly recommend adding this to your bjj training.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I think my bjj prof was grooming my gf to be his sidepiece. I don't think she was the first either. Is this a 'thing' for instructors nowadays or something? I'm not giving details cuz this ain't e/n.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

"He really understands me" "we have like the same personality" "we have the same sense of humor" "I trust him more than anyone" "I feel an emotional connection to him" add secret private lessons and physical therapy sessions, a dash of deleted Facebook messages and there you have it. He's 50 and she's 25. They both deny anything ever happening. He seems genuinely oblivious yet he mysteriously deleted all of his FB messages too...

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

And like you ain't nobody until you're a blue belt, at which point your welcome to have free extra open mat sessions with higher belts. Unless you're a hot girl white belt who is "super dedicated" then apparently you can come too. The first chick would very strangely get really jealous whenever prof was showing my gf one on one attention in class then like ramp up her intensity when they rolled. It's weird cuz it all falls in the category of "could be completely innocent/coincidence but also could be super creepy"

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I left my first school for something similar. I wasn't involved in any way but I realized that the owner was a weird creep.

Sucks I can't get 100% proof, he's seen as a saint so it would be a pretty big upset. I can definitely see how these guys can start to feel untouchable. Connection to cops, the reverence of being a world-traveled black belt, the appeal of joining the super close-knit group of martial artists in *the best martial art. Trust from 99% of your students and you can prey on the girl who came to improve her self confidence.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

I literally could not do a drat thing if my professor chose to cuck me which is why I'm glad he is a loving husband and father

Bro I was so loving paranoid. If true this poo poo would devastate his entire life. He wanted to come talk it out at our house and I said only if a third party can be present as a witness in case I "attack him in a jealous rage" and "accidentally" get choked to death. Suddenly he couldn't come by anymore when I was adamant about a third party being there. I keep my knife on me. FMA>BJJ on the streets bruh. He insists that he really likes me and wants me to come back. I'm not going to. No loving way. When I firmly confronted my girl about what was going on she had such a bad anxiety attack she went into convulsions. Yet she still wants to go class.

KildarX posted:

Yea, that's super lovely. Get out dude. Even if the gf thing is completely innocent and or coincidental your coach shouldn't make you feel this way. BJJ is supposed to make you feel better not more anxious. Find another gym.

I've honestly never felt comfortable there. He and his lackeys always kinda would make eye contact and look away real fast with me. His eyes would light up when my girl walked in and he'd immediately start making "innocent" sex jokes.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

If you consider that Harvard passed a "teachers cannot date students" academic regulation and that it passed entirely without controversy, which for university professors to allow a restrictive regulation to pass without anything resembling resistance is completely unprecedented in the history of the western academy, should indicate how not cool that whole situation is.

:sever:, and I hope that you find a new hugfight happy place, and that your relationship with your GF isn't hurt because of this whole crap.

"Free private lessons" jesus christ. The instructors at my little podunk gym don't even want to be in a room alone with younger female students lest rumours get started or accusations arise. e. haha free "secret" private lessons even.

Thanks man. Private lessons took place in his basement lol. wtf. typing it all out sounds loving crazy.

It's really hard because she broke up with me almost out of the blue, only a week or so of her being distant. I took her there to build her self esteem up. I still care about her. After I confronted her about this she wants to stay and work it out. It's hosed man. I'll figure it out and find a new gym.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread with my e/n poo poo everyone, I'm frankly surprised by the support and appreciate it a lot.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Wait what - it got to that point and you always felt uncomfortable and you're still going there?

It would occur and then stop...I was always a little suspicious but it was always so subtle that I thought no big deal. Until she started going to his house. edit: for the record I haven't been there in over a month. I don't know these people that well and was being assured that he just is "that way" with his humor.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

willie_dee posted:

They have been loving. She shouldn't be your girlfriend anymore as she has been cheating on you. No one deletes FB messages if they don't implicate more than what you already know. You are better off without her.

But he deleted his correspondence to "wash his hands of this negativity"! That's normal right :suicide:

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Grandmaster.flv posted:

also dude - your coach has already hosed your (ex?) girlfriend - which sucks but it's kind of your fault (sort of not really) but you should probably just cut it out of your life and move on

How is it my fault exactly? She's an adult. She made her choices.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Grandmaster.flv posted:

You took your girlfriend to a gym presumably filled with athletic men that like to dominate with their hips and you are a goon that likes anime.

lol they're a bunch of slightly overweight middle aged dorks. I've already made my peace with it and am indeed moving on with my life. No offense but I like a little anime or whatever but you don't know anything else about me besides that this situation has made me crazy enough to think posting it here was a good idea lol.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I believe the technical definition of assault is causing someone to fear for their life. You don't even have to touch them, really. Source: close relative is a judge with a PhD. I'm just some idiot, though, but it seems reasonable that you should be able to defend yourself with deadly force if you are being assaulted, from a legal standpoint anyway. So long as you can convince the court you were legitimately/reasonably fearful for your life.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Dammit that's not why I came here. Ok so what are the striking pads called that you wrap around a support beam or pillar? I thought 'pole bag' was it but apparently that's just a really tall heavy bag? It's a tricky thing to google, or no such thing exists and you just have to improvise your own.

Omglosser fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

ulmont posted:

Not normally, no. Ignoring the difference between criminal and civil assault, and focusing here only on criminal assault in Louisiana just to give one example (other states are very similar on this point):

So either attempted battery or intentionally putting someone in reasonable fear of a battery. What's a battery?

Note "force or violence", not "death or grievous bodily injury." That part covers even pushing someone with a single finger.

So you can be assaulted without any reasonable fear for your life, or even anything having happened but someone reaching out to push you and missing.

That's why I put the qualifier of me being an idiot in my post. My state might be different, I remember being told too that battery includes extensions of a person's body, like smacking papers out of their hand or something.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

mewse posted:

I dunno but I think this is what you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcsbi1_iHQ

That'd be it! Thanks

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Subyng posted:

I also joined a BJJ gym. Enjoying that as well, although to be honest the "bro" culture of it doesn't really vibe with me, although I'm not sure if this a product of the specific gym I'm training at.

I had a similar issue at my last gym. I wrongfully assumed that it was gonna be like a TMA class with the stinky fat guys, the spiritual ponytail guys, and nervous old guys with serious competitors mixed in. I also wrongfully assumed that everyone cared about each other's growth for the sake of the competition team. But it was all a big high school bro-jock egotistical atmosphere.

I was a passive-aggressively bullied a lot. After about 4 months I could hold my own against the blue belts and only get tapped a few times by the purples. I guess they didn't like that and would often stop and scold me while rolling for not doing what they thought I should be doing. Even chiming in on my matches with other whitebelts to give authoritative advice that usually didn't help or in one case caused me to go from escaping a triangle to getting tapped by said triangle. But I stupidly let them get to me and deferred to their 'wisdom' and started performing worse because my confidence was broken and would lose focus while rolling. Half me constantly second guessing myself, half worried that someone was going to criticize me. I'm sharing this as a reminder of the golden rule: if you don't feel comfortable there, gtfo immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Recommendations for bjj/mma schools in the Minneapolis area? Preferably not cult-y or having an overly serious attitude. Something more for a hobbyist.