Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The guys talking about krav made me remember a story that happened a few months ago.

Some new dude at my BJJ school used to do Krav. He's uncoordinated, goes for useless/dangerous passes (he broke the orbital bone of a guy that was playing bottom by trying to somersault over the dude, he got a stern talking to and is much less spazzy now) and basically doesn't know anything about ground work which is totally fine, I'm still poo poo too so I'm not judging really that aspect.

The weird thing though is the kind of mindset that he seemed to bring in because of Krav. At some point he was in my guard and says ''hmm, this isn't working''. I then asked him what was up and he explains to me that he was doing Krav Maga pressure points or something. It was supposed to hurt and make it unpleasant and make me open my guard but it was basically just jamming his index fingers between two ribs or something. Does this kind of thing happen to others that come from Krav? I kinda thought it was weird the guy would try Krav stuff in a BJJ class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I honestly don't really mind it, but considering the spazzyness and experimentation kinda turned out to be a bad idea in his case I was wondering. At the end of the day nothing wrong went down and I don't really care as long as it's properly communicated in advance.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

Jack Slack gets some poo poo on these boards, but he has a number of articles where he does exactly this - identifying bullshido techniques or similar things working in high-level MMA bouts. The two I can remember are that he did a Wing Chun analysis of one of the Lawler-Hendricks fights (which were both significantly trapping-range fights), and he found a bunch of goofy Karate poo poo from goofy katas that Machida pulled off in real fights with slight modifications..

What's wrong with the guy? I don't know much high level striking and fighting stuff so I always found him entertaining but I might be missing something.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Judo is an olympic sport so in canada it's often times subsidized and insurance rates for clubs aren't as expensive. Can't speak for other places though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I feel you man, I did karate in a mcdojo while I was young and that really soured me on the whole martial arts thing, the sparring in BJJ instantly hooked me though and I did on 180 on the whole fighting sports thing because of it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

Bjj and wrestling guys, are toes getting wrecked from rolling a thing? Both my big toes are kinda bruised from 2 weeks ago and now one of my little toes is black and swollen to twice it's size. They never hurt at the time but then when I get home I notice them.

It's a thing that happens, could be that when you go for a single or double in wrestling for example, your back leg is turned to the side a bit, making all the weight of your body propelled by your big toe. I know that's what I would do improperly. What you're talking about is alarming though and you should get it checked out if it's black and loving swollen twice it's size.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Working on maintaining top and not letting a lovely sweep make me concede.

At a small inhouse tournament today a bunch of guys all got wrecked by each other, one ate a foot in the mouth from a guy that tried Sakuraba's secret technique, another got a foot stomped on his fingers and later dislocated his shoulder. some other guy got cut on the ball of his nose and bled a bunch everywhere. Another got hit by an an elbow on his ankle and tapped because of the pain, he was afraid it got fractured. Guess I got lucky, that room went hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nltcFB4kI

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Got my ankle popped while i was getting an inside heel hook applied onto me. It felt as if a few big bubbles were popping in my foot. Didnt hurt much after a minute or two but my foot is kinda tender today. Ive iced it a little. Can anyone tell me if rehab or special treatment should be done and for how long?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Someone can in fact tell you if rehab or treatment is a required! (a doctor)

For sure it's the sensible option but seeing a doctor in Canada in my city for sprains takes about 13-14 hours in the emergency room. I tried avoiding going to it if it was at all possible but it's all good. It doesn't hurt anymore really. Ice helped.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What a world I live in. The guy that needs to bring a knife around with him "just in case" things turn sour with his coach is better adjusted than the guy offering him "advice".

gently caress that gym man, you'll be better for it and gently caress those people too.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Subyng posted:

Any Toronto/Canada goons know how much it costs here to train Judo?

it shouldn't be expensive, judo is subsidized by the government because it's an olympic sport, in montreal I can point at a few places that train you for 80$ a month or less.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Just walk around with a pimp cane.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

mariooncrack posted:

So I've been training BJJ for about a month now. It's really a lot of fun. I've noticed that I've got some bruising on my chest. I'm assuming it's from sparring. I tend to end up on the bottom being mounted or in side control a lot while sparring. Is this something that I should worry about or will this lessen over time? They aren't sore nor do they hurt. They're just kind of there. Is there anything I can eat or make sure I get into my diet to help prevent this?

I used to bruise a lot more but it got less worse as I would train. Just keep at it and rest if you're hurt more seriously.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What are people's view of the paper cutter choke here? I'm finding myself using it more and more when I pass to side control but some people call it a move that leads to DQ.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, well what happened was that the day I got my blue and got put up against purples they would do the usual hard rolls on the new belts. I passed a guy and I then did the usual paper cutter on him (we were doing gi but he was guarding his lapels so the paper cutter was free).

I'm pretty sure I had him but he wouldn't tap due to peer pressure as other higher belts were watching. One guy then just blurted out that i'm doing a neck crank and it counts as DQ. Truly though, I think it's just because he had his buddies back.

Edit : It does kinda feel like a crank in nogi if the guy turns towards you from bottom but my feeling is that hes saving himself from the choke by risking his neck. The way I see it is that it's not a defense as the guy basically accepts he could get a vertebral disk popped out or something.

I guess my question is, is there a way to ensure the guy can't turn or should I not worry about it and if I'm sure I don't get it switch hips and try going for a backtake or something of that nature?

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 6, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

My experience taking steroids is enough to prove to me that this is the case for pretty much any martial art. To go from rolling BJJ with a couple of heavy weights who could power out of a kimura or just flex their arm stiff to prevent it moving meaning I have lost an attack and probably a position because of being off balance concentrating on the offense of the Kimura, to suddenly them not being able to do that and me tapping them repeatedly because they don't recognise the actual techniques of defending a Kimura against me using technique instead of strength made one hell of a difference.

One dick head I know talks about tapping purple and brown belts, hes 240lbs ish and hes rolling with 165'ers and leg locking them, who gives a poo poo, stop bragging about it, gosh it annoys me, he doesn't ever mention rolling with 300lbs heavy weight blue belts and getting loving flattened ever, or gassing against little old me in the boxing ring and asking to stop and have a chat about technique.

Sorry, I didn't realise how much he had annoyed me, I need to get over it and not care.

Man I tell ya, that guy sounds like a real jerk!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I had an interesting conversation with a a female friend recently. My background is Bjj and she doesn't really do or know much about martial arts but picked up cardio boxing. I was happy for her on the fitness side of things but I was wondering if cardio boxing and similar kind of activities might actually negatively impact the chances a woman or person in a vulnerable position might have of running away and instead try and rely on their punching/kicking skills they picked up punching a bag. What would you people say about that?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

your concern can basically be summated as "im worried that you working out is actually BAD, because I consider you a retard that will hurt yourself"

Haven't you been reading the past few pages where a guy that's been doing bjj for around six months is already fantasizing of the moment where he will be able to break a bike thiefs arm? You might just be willfully ignorant about the effects of TMA's and fightsports on people's psyche when it comes to their true effectiveness in a self-defence scenario. My problem with cardio-boxing is that it could make people believe in the effectiveness of their bag punching skills. Most of the exercices she was mentioning in the class routine were burpees, jump rope and punching bags, all things that I really don't believe might make you be any more effective at defending yourself than running away from a dangerous situation. Argue that instead of turning me into some weird strawman.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

kimbo305 posted:

I meant how did she specifically self-assess her fighting skills based on the class?
That's the obvious question to ask if you suspected she might be thinking that she was getting good at fighting.

She mentioned it probably doesn't have any or much effect but was a good workout. Personally, i've heard that argument given about a ton of things as an excuse to not judge the activity too hard but I often have the impression that the speech might change depending on the audience. I'm not really asking about her though, but in a larger sense, about how people see their ability change over time doing TMA's that don't involve sparring.

For example, I'm doing alright at BJJ. One thing i'm getting sure of though is that it does affect my perception of ability in a real life scenario. I'm aware I'd probably be much more ready to talk poo poo at someone acting like a dumbass, and that might escalate. From the outside, I'd probably be just as big a meathead as the guy I perceive as being the meathead even though I feel justified and ''safe'' (although I'm not). Does that feeling happen here to most people? I kind of have the preconceived opinion that it does.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 4, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

How can you not see the difference between some lady doing cardio and a dude with literal roid rage

You misunderstand me, my question is ''does Cardio Boxing and similar activites run the risk of making people believe they might actually be doing more than just work on their cardio?''

BJJ has that effect on people, Aikido has that effect on people and MMA has that effect on people. The question is legitimate. Now answer the question respectfully before I come over and break your arm bitch, I don't like how you're looking at me.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 4, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
100$ monthly unlimited in montreal for the places i've been at.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Reilly Bodycomb's stuff is great on leglocks.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

The Darlok posted:

So... I lost my fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zE6-5TsAdY starts a like 2:50 in.

Doesn't feel like there's much to learn from this one except 1) try not to get slammed and 2) i'm gonna be fuckin great at typing only with my left hand soon.

ow gently caress man. That sucks. Be well soon. will you need to have some plates set in the arm?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

The Darlok posted:

Obligatory got my purple belt tonight post. Started training almost 7 years ago and it's been a long grind. Thought I'd be further by now but can only keep going. Sucks too cause I can't roll for 10 more weeks cause of the broken arm but I can't say I'm not happy to get the belt.

Thanks man - you been training at PH recently? I'm going to try to get back to classes soon just to rep stuff that doesn't require usage of my arm.

Congratulations on the belt :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

kimbo305 posted:

I've discussed in this thread before the deliberation over when to quit the sport over damage to the head, and this wasn't the worst feeling I've felt, which is scary in a way. I've taken lesser punches that I felt for days. I had a slight headache for the rest of the day, but my facilities were pretty much all there after I got up.

I'm asking just because you bring it up and I really don't want to make it sound like advice but like a legitimate question (You're much harder than i'll ever be as I don't ever want to step into a cage so no judgement)

My question is : If you're thinking about stopping doing events, isn't that perhaps a good reason to stop? I'm kinda surprised you went back as last year you were pretty clear in your desire to stop after that event.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

I legit don't see how you can take amateur fights without being on steroids if the USA scene is anything like the C league here in the UK. Everyone is on them, so the logic is that your opponent will be, so there's no harm in you being on them.

God you're insufferable.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, go do pro wrestling.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Anyone got any tips on how to stop yourself from breathing from the mouth when you are fighting exhausted? I find myself doing this since I started back into Judo again after 9 months and it is gassing me out faster than if I breathed though my nose. My training partners are picking up on this as well because I stop breathing when I am about to do something and they capitalize on it every time. The mouth guard doesn't help this either but I rather not get a tooth knocked out of my mouth from someone punching me in newaza.

Relax while you're doing your techniques? Ryan hall really hammers that point home a lot when it comes to training, I'm not sure about during sparring but I find myself doing better being relaxed against nervous guys. I'm coming from a bjj background but I think it might work for you.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Not to be too harsh but there isn't fifty ways to say this:

You're a guy that's completely in love with the idea of looking for fights in the wild against bike thieves. You seem to have violent fantasies and I don't believe you're properly equipped to work in bar security as you've never shown much aptitudes in regards to deescalation. The fact you're using steroids means you're very susceptible to classic markers of toxic masculinity. The fact you want to be Alpha but deep inside believe you're beta ( because you mention the impostor syndrome) shows you're not in it for the security and wellbeing of the establishment and it's patrons but instead in it for yourself and your ego. Best advice I can give you is go and meet a therapist and work on the inadequacies you feel in life. I'm quite sure they are legitimate, but the career path you're going down is self destructive.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Some guy at work was talking about martial arts and mentioned to me that Systema and Krav Maga are the most deadly. he wasn't interested in a different viewpoint nor did he know anything about Sambo.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Considering he's been arrested you could just go on living your life unless you've got an instructor that can teach you moped-fu happy-slapping-fu.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Willie Dee is gonna get a face full of acid.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Turn heel and call yourself Acid Face.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Wear this to impose dominance in the gym:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't think so, no.

Anecdotal and not meant to pile on you, but my GF has done a bit of hot yoga and had to stopped after three sessions because she felt it was unsafe. For the same reason Commonshore mentioned. Scarily, the mentality of one of the places she visited was that people shouldn't even drink while they were doing hot yoga.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

Best advice for concealing/diminishing a black eye? Held on to an arm bar during a scramble and posted with the side of my face.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

So essentially, anything you can do outside of the gi you can do in the gi but it doesnt work that way vice versa.

I have a friend that trains no gi exclusively out in Vegas and he was in town last week training with me and he reaffirmed how much he hates the gi. It seems people that train in the Gi dont really mind but people that train No Gi exclusively hate the Gi. Not sure why :raise:

I don't mind either, But much prefer doing no-gi as the techniques mostly don't rely on chokes that require tightening the lapels around your neck. Also, my fingers don't hurt as much.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

You're doing gi wrong if you think that the techniques mostly require lapel strangles or collar sleeve grip.

I play my gi game much like my no gi game there's just more control and more ways to manipulate your opponents limbs and strangle them.

I broke my hand two years back and lost a lot of sensitivity in it for a year or so and lots of chokes you do in the Gi I couldn't do anymore because I couldn't grip lapels properly whereas nogi chokes that can work with gable grips and the like work fine with that hand. If you don't have strong fingers it can be a drag to do Gi chokes that require the lapels. hence my comment on how it's harder on the fingers. I'm not saying nor have I ever said that Gi only uses the lapels but you'd be quite handicapped if you couldn't ever use them to attack.

To add to my point, some important and effective chokes are impossible to do if you're used to the lapels (X-choke, bow and arrow) but do No-gi.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I doubt the dude that posts in the steroid thread and keeps posting weird alpha poo poo has just been playing a character for the past six months or so. Willie's weird and I could very well see myself read about him getting stabbed in a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for Gi's? My black A4 has a huge tear across the chest and while I could repair it, I think I might just get a new one.

My professor is recommending the Hyperfly Judofly because its a little more durable weave but unless its re-stocked I cant get it in A4. Any other good recommendations you guys have??

I like bamboo break a lot, I also ordered two padilla and sons that are good. I'd go back to bamboo break though if I had to choose. Price wise in Canada they're very good.