Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

“I’ve fought a lot of women and have never felt the strength that I felt in a fight as I did that night. I can’t answer whether it’s because [he] was born a man or not, because I’m not a doctor,” she stated. “I can only say, I’ve never felt so overpowered ever in my life, and I am an abnormally strong female in my own right. ”
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/t...eaks-her-eye-so

Page not found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Xguard86 posted:

lemme tell you about the summer before college when I bought starting strength, a pull-up bar and an everquest account...

... You did the exercices and got swole as heck?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
It was maybe one of those "I'm friends or have family in the police so if this is a misdemeanour, don't gently caress with me too much or people are going to steal your lunch" type of cards.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, TKD dude is welcome here, we've run hard on a lot on dudes that don't do BJJ and stuff but I'd like to hear of other stuff.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

It looks like it's alright. Not as much classes as I'd like if it were me. Check up with the staff if they have reservations about crosstraining (even if you don't end up crosstraining, knowing how they feel about it is a good thing to clear up front). Looks like a well credentialed staff for gi BJJ.

Edit : upon reading on the schedule, the classes are one hour for your age bracket twice a week. It's not a lot. Depending on price I wouldn't go considering the options on when I could go look really limited.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 19, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bjj is super hard emotionally at first because of all the few techniques you know that are all spread out and you don't get a lot of opportunities to try them when the other person resists. I would recommend you get some basics instructional on the side like the roy dean one to watch during offtime. It can help ease the curve bit. Trying to find someone that can match your energy output and roll at like 20% intensity can help you roll at a speed where you can make mistakes but think a bit and feel how and why things aren't working.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

I don't generally mean athletic ability. When I've met people who would be better off not doing BJJ, I usually mean mental attitude or learning ability. First mental attitude, people have some rose tinted idea that martial arts will make people better humans. That's generally bullshit. Martial arts may reveal who you really are under adversity but rather than change people's fundamental nature. Bullies become more dangerous bullies; crybabies stay crybabies. You also need some stubborness to make the most of BJJ. People who give up too easily have a tough time of it and I just can't be bothered to baby anyone anymore. Second, a tiny minority of people don't seem to be capable of learning. Some people are visual learners, others do well with explanations, some need to physically execute the moves to understand them but there is a tiny minority that loving doesn't get it and apparently never will despite everyone investing their time to help them. I'm not even talking about the mentally handicapped. They can learn too. I'm talking about the guy who executes every move wrong no matter how many times and how many ways its taught to him. Lastly, some people just hate grappling. They just never get comfortable with that level of close contact. Not everyone loves having someone's nutsack ground against them.

This is a good post.

All the guys I know that got hooked on grappling loved it from the moment rolling ended and knew they needed that buzz. The others I haven't seen fall in love with the sport on the spot never lasted more than a month.

I think stubbornness is also a factor. You kind of need some form of ego (maybe that's the wrong word) to come back week after week and through injury to get better.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Firstborn posted:

A brown belt also showed me how to do a kimura and .. another hold that was very similar to a kimura but his arm was extended instead of bend

Americana?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ihop posted:

I'm guessing straight arm lock, like when they try to straighten out of the kimura.

Yeah, You're right. My mind just kind of lumped it in with the americana for no good reason.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I was to a seminar and a girl I've never met candidly told me she liked the seminar crowd because the guys looked a lot more chill at the event.

When I asked her in comparison to whom, she told me that her gym has a lot of woman haters and would purposefully try and injure them and was kinda stuck there as her husband is part owner of the club. I felt osrry for her but didn't really know how she could keep training under those circumstances.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

LLJKSiLk posted:

The 2x a week thing is for the beginner classes. As you progress more stuff opens up. The beginner classes focus on nailing the proper technique of all the basic things (kicks, blocks, self-defense, form). Once they are satisfied you've gotten that, it opens up intermediate/advanced and more days of training. I could technically do more than 2 days a week, but it covers the same material over a 12 week period until you reach the testing week. They also made a DVD for home use for us to practice at home until we've reached the end of the beginner stuff.

Do they charge extra for the DVD and the other classes once you "move up"?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

LLJKSiLk posted:

DVD was $15 for all of the beginner lessons. The other classes, no you don't pay extra. It just changes what's available.

Ok, sounds fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Chewjitsu has also won second or third place at the east coast ADCC trials two years ago. He's legit.