Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

willie_dee posted:

My first opponent I would want to be Neon Belly, the guys friendly, polite, good natured, above my level in terms of bjj but has 0 striking and very little no gi. He also got pure mugged off by some guy in his gym a bit back so I feel I could gain the psychological edge.

I did a Muay Thai private lesson once where I gave myself a fat lip while holding pads, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Alright, potential goon fight of the millenium is Neon Bellybob human being vs Willie_Dee

I've been training for literally no reason?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Only place he’s fitting is in willie’s car boot

If he's had a car this whole time, why is he all bent out of shape about chavs getting off with mopeds?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Wrestling is dying at the collegiate level; it's seen a 25% decline in athletes in the NCAA over the past few decades.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Yuns posted:

Title IX is a huge factor. Wrestling is generally male only at the collegiate level but not a big money generator like football. So a lot of schools have cut it for Title IX purposes.

Dozens of wrestling programs were cut while Title IX was suspended for athletics under Reagan and there are more total male NCAA athletes than ever, accounting for 70% of NCAA athletes and around 80% of collegiate sports budgets. Title IX seems like a flimsy excuse.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Just make women's wrestling programs. God. You already have the freakin' equipment.

That's on its way. There already a few dozen collegiate women's wrestling programs, although none recognized by the NCAA. What's weird is that at the high school level, many states don't separate out men and women wrestlers.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

By the time Aikido was created swords had been obsolete for hundreds of years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

:colbert:

Mekchu posted:

I love learning more about the crazy things related to people involved with Aikido. Namely Steven Seagal and his delusional insanity.

Excuse me, The Way Of The Shadow Wolves: The Deep State And The Hijacking Of America is the high point of contemporary American literature.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Steven Seagal, both in magnitude and girth.

How dare you besmirch the name of the bestselling author of The Way Of The Shadow Wolves: The Deep State And The Hijacking Of America, with forward by Sherrif Joe Arpaio.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Dunno if Judo is the same but for what I’ve seen, in BJJ, if you’re transgender then actual competition requires you to have a ridiculously thick skin.

Not all that shocking, unfortunately. Some top BJJ athletes in America are openly homophobic or support politicians who think LGBT people should be violently attacked when seen in public.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t have anything in particular to add one way or another, but I know a few people here are curious/uncertain about terminology. The preferred nomenclature is of course to refer to someone by their gender. If you have some reason to discuss their transition or dead life before or need to differentiate from cis-gendered people (as in the current discussion), the proper term currently is A[M/F]AB for Assigned [Male or Female] At Birth.

This is significantly preferred over MTF or FTM because a AMAB woman has never really been a man and an AFAB man has never really been a woman.

Thanks, will be more cognizant about this in the future.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I've rolled with blind people before, they had no issues taking my back.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Been doing bjj for 5 years, if my gym moved 6 blocks west I'd find a different sport to do :shrug:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do you have any idea why no one wants to roll with you? Are you hurting people? Do you smell? Are you a spaz? Those are probably the most common ones.

There are world-renowned boy black belts who refuse to train with women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I can't watch the video above because I don't want to register for instagram

It's this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTsabfMTgs