Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Odddzy posted:

The guys talking about krav made me remember a story...

My 2 cents. I taught MT for about 3 years (recently quit to go back to school.) and had a guy come in once to get a free first class and check us out. I asked new people if they have any previous martial arts training to get an idea of what their skill set will likely be, and this guy tells me he used to do Krav Maga. I don't have a problem with the art itself when it's practiced in a reasonable setting, but he made a point to let me know they trained him on how to rip a mans throat out, and various other "devastating techniques". Oh. Okay. Here we go...

So I begin teaching class. I've got 3 new students that night as well as the regulars, and I've been cycling through the new guys to demonstrate technique on for the class. I'm going to demonstrate the Thai clinch, and I ask KM guy to come forward so I can show the hand positioning for the plum grip. The MINUTE I lay my hands on the guys neck, he wraps me up in his arms, and starts driving me back and to the mat, Beast Mode style. This completely takes me by surprise obviously, but I maintain my footing and am able to stay up. I'm a pretty good humored guy, so I chuckle a bit and let him know, "Hey, you don't need to give me any resistance. I'm just demonstrating some hand positioning here". He looks a bit sheepish, and apologizes, so I don't think anything of it. I move in and, addressing the class, begin laying my forearms on him again. The INSTANT I make contact, he does the same thing. Full on 100% Beast mode. Okay, WTF?? I disengage, and a little more sternly remind him he only has to stand there while I show some simple hand positioning. He apologizes again, and says, "I'm sorry my training is so strong, I can't control my reflexes" Uh, okay... So, still a chuckly, good-natured dude, I laugh it off and let him know it's no biggie, but you really need to reign it in.

I tried a third time. The forth time I asked for a new volunteer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
The thing was, he seemed genuinely embarrassed. I kind of felt like he really, sincerely thought he was supposed to do that, and not in an rear end in a top hat way. Like, that WAS how he had trained, ever day, up until that moment. I should point out that dudes superior Krav Maga razor-wire reflexes and technique failed to take down an unprepared and under sized opponent. 3 times.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 15, 2016