Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking at getting into some kind of martial art, and I initially thought Krav Maga sounded cool based on basically no information. Having read this thread, I've decided that's not a great idea and started looking into some of the ones that were under the 'practical' section of the previous OP. I did Shotokan Karate when I was 10 or so, but never got on with how 'theoretical' it all seemed.

I've looked into a few places that do Judo and BJJ around me (and to a lesser extent Kickboxing/Muay Thai but I'm a pussy and might not enjoy being hit in the face), and I'm undecided so I'm gonna give some places a try. I think I'd like to train in something that had a mixture of striking and grappling as opposed to focusing entirely on one, but by the look of it that's pretty much just an MMA thing?

Still, I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know that there's anything wrong with going with MMA -- just make sure you're getting good instruction.

Yeah, I wanted to avoid picking a specific MMA class because it's 'trendy' and I assume that like Krav, it's basically gonna be a shitshow of guys teaching any old poo poo.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I should probably clarify that being afraid of being hit was (mostly :v: ) a joke, I'm gonna give some striking styles a go along with some grappling ones.

CommonShore posted:

And if you give your general location there may be people in this thread who will happily advise.

I'm in Nottingham in the UK, so If anyone has recommendations for Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai or Kickboxing around here, that'd be great. There's one MMA place here that does both BJJ and Muay Thai classes which could be interesting. I'm leaning quite heavily toward Judo from looking into things online, but a lot of the Judo schools nearby seem to be smaller less polished outfits run in a local youth club rather than a dedicated location.

I'm planning to just check out a fair few places for a bunch of different styles over the next couple of weeks and see what I enjoy most.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Had my first Judo class last night, and it was awesome. I felt like I was going to die during the warm up because I've done no cardio for ages, and I was completely overwhelmed and confused, but the guys there taught me Ippon Seoi Nagi and another throw I don't remember the name of. I was hoping to learn a bit about breakfalling before I got thrown, but we mostly were using crash mats and people were taking me down gently so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Randori was cool, though after a couple of opponent switches I was paired with a guy who just said "I'm not going to let you take me down" (not in a bad way) and showed me just how much everyone else was helping me along when I managed to put them down, and I just couldn't shift him at all. Newaza is good as well, I managed to get some kind of chest-hug thing down, and the guy I was paired with seemed to actually have trouble shifting me a few times, with me adjusting my weight to stop him rolling out.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

fatherdog posted:

If you do, I would actually be pretty interested to hear how the various ways they teach you to take bumps in wrestling compare to the various Judo/BJJ style breakfalls.

As a pretty green amateur in both, they seemed similar to me. Pro wrestling has more of a focus on 'make lots of noise by slapping the floor' but that works out because in Judo I've been told to land with my arm flat anyway.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Just had another Judo session last night, and I'm still enjoying it.

I checked out two clubs last week, and settled on the first one entirely based on atmosphere and how the place felt. I'm a bit concerned that the place I've decided on is a bit less 'teachy' than the other one, though. Is it normal to occasionally have a lesson where the first hour or so is basically just a workout, and there's half an hour of randori/newaza at the end? I sort of felt like I wasn't really learning anything about actual Judo rules or technique yesterday except for when one or two people I was paired against in randori decided to go out of their way to show me something.

Shame that the atmosphere at the more explanation-focused club sucked - the place was kind of run-down, tiny, and tucked away at the back of a community center with a weekly teen club night going on in the next room. :(

All of that stuff aside, the randori and newaza was fun yesterday. I got hit with a throw I don't know the name of, but is essentially . That was an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
To be honest I'm way off being able to try that yet.

I'm struggling to do O Soto Gari with any level of consistency after only a few classes, though I'm not too frustrated, I can see that I'll get into the swing of it all eventually.