Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I tried a karate class last week to supplement my aikido stuff. They were very old school formal in their approach, and their website said verbatim, "Do not train with us unless you're willing to commit full time as a student." So, I sent them a email that I had a lot of fun, but couldn't go full time since aikido is my home dojo, and wishing them the best.

I got a mail back that was basically "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM WELL WHATEVER BYE."

I have no idea what people even want sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

what do you get out of aikido?

Movement and footwork. Exercise. Better control over center of gravity and core muscles. Get to hang out with nice, laid back people. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

It is! You're sure as poo poo not going to learn how to win a cage fight but you can at least get away from attackers.

You spend a lot of time spinning in circles though. :barf:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

The thread can benefit from an Aikido poster. I get the sense that a lot of us have had the Aikido experience that's "check out this technique I need you to grab my hand... no my other hand... no like this... well it doesn't work if you do that..."

Keep Aikidoing and posting about it.

The problem with aikido is you can't really learn the basics unless you do grab someone's hand the "right" way to start with. "It doesn't work if you do that" is a widespread problem, though, and it's a lot better when the other person's striking, because you have movement to work with. However, the first thing you're taught (or should be) is that, if they don't move the way you want or at all, hit them. They'll unstick real fast after that. That lesson frequently gets lost, though, because A) aiki guys are usually pretty laid back and don't like outright slugging people in the dojo and B) the "magic hakuma" effect (i.e. you move the "textbook" way for sensei because sensei, but not for your training partner.)

That being said I trained regularly under a seventh dan, the (late :smith:) Kevin Choate-Sensei. He actually trained regularly with O Sensei, he was like 6'7", and he was loving terrifying. He grabbed me by the throat once during training because I wouldn't stop leaving it open. Not choke or strike, just "whoops got your throat, okay go sit down junior your ukemi sucks today." :stare: He never hurt anybody on the mat, but he cross trained in systema, and you could tell he could loving wreck you if he really wanted to. I heard stories from a sixth dan requesting he hit her with more force so she could experience what it was like. The exact quote was, "It felt like a bomb went off in my shoulder."

Another guy like that is our school's head instructor, Satomi-Sensei. He's an eighth dan, also trained under O Sensei, and was one of his closest students. He is also a terrifying man, although I've never even seen him so much as raise his voice. That's the thing about the high ranking guys: they move and carry themselves in a way that just screams, "do not gently caress with this person." White belts and even lower dans aren't guaranteed to get their poo poo to work right 100% of the time. Satomi-shihan and Ikeda-shihan? Whitehead-sensei? That's a whoooole different story.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

he cross-trained in systema?

Yup. He was really big on it, too, to the point where he and Saotomi-shihan developed a little bit of a frosty relationship for a while (IIRC). It's done a lot to bridge the two, though. In fact, we share our dojo with a systema club here in town.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

does the systema raise any red flags to you though - do they actually spar?

Yup. And they hit each other pretty goddamn hard sometimes, too! :classiclol:

A lot of it is keeping tension out of your body and moving with the blow, though, so it's not like they're just standing there decking each other. But dang can experienced systema guys punch you in ways that make your insides hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Novum posted:

How does a sparring session like that usually play out?

I'unno, honestly. Most of this is from watching for like a minute or two and third hand accounts. You can check out the Wikipedia article, though, it's a legit martial art. Like not bullshit internet claims but actually used by Russian military. I do know it's freeform sparring, though. The article says there's no kata work, and I know for a fact that's true.

(late edit: law enforcement, not military. AFAIK sambo is still the martial art of choice of the Russian military.)

Also, completely random, but the three guys I've trained with (other than Choate-Sensei) all were wearing scented talcum power, or aftershave, or something. I poo poo you not. Maybe it's a systema thing? I have no idea. Still, it's really nice if your training sessions are all throws and your partner doesn't smell like a sweatsock. :allears:

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Is this all a very high-effort troll?

Uh... do I sound outlandish or something? Is everyone in the thread getting together to laugh at me behind my back? :ohdear: I'm legit trying to share experiences here, I don't think I've said anything particularly AND THEN YOU UNLEASH YOUR CHI HADOUKEN or anything.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 23, 2016