Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

fatherdog posted:

If you do, I would actually be pretty interested to hear how the various ways they teach you to take bumps in wrestling compare to the various Judo/BJJ style breakfalls.

I haven't done pro wrestling specifically, but I first learned to break fall in theatre (i.e. "stage combat") and now I'm a BJJ guy who has trained with some Judokas over the years. I also used to watch a lot of pro wrestling and had some friends who trained in it.

The main difference I see is that Judo teaches to fall on one side which minimizes the chance of the head hitting the ground, and a lot of its techniques to help protect your partner involve pulling up on an arm to orient the falling person to that sideways angle (any Judikas feel free to correct me if that's wrong, most of my Judo info comes from only a few people). BJJ, stage combat, and pro wrestling all teach to fall flat on your back to maximize the surface area taking the hit. The theatrical variations also use open hands to increase the sound it makes.

Teachers of both styles tend to claim that the other style hurts your spine more.

One interesting intersection is Ric Flair. He had lower spine injuries that meant he couldn't do flat bumps anymore, so for his later years in WWE he was the only guy doing Judo style break falls, which weren't as loud but did look like he had just been murdered by a open hand chop to the chest.

I still fall like I'm in theatre, and have been accused several times of overselling a fall to mock people, then I have to explain I used to be a drama nerd and I'm not actually making fun of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Kuvo posted:

this is still the proper way to do promotion pictures right

:perfect:

Spend a bit of time squishing white belts before starting in on the really crazy stuff (though, I'm fairly sure the craziness is a requirement for purple).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

In my experience, small people get good fast, because they kind of have to

and if you're mean to them when they're new they come back at you like the count of monte cristo with their tiny little bastard legs and their beady hateful little eyes and they make your life a knee-ridden hell

When I started BJJ there was a kid in the "little dragons" class who was 5 and had all ready been rolling with his older brothers for over a year. Now he's 14 and rolling with him is a painful experience wherever it ends up. He's a porcupine on the bottom, and a meat tenderizer from the top.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Whats up MA thread, I'm a brown belt now.
Anyway for all you blue and white belts: keep training and grinding because eventually they'll just give up and promote you.

Congratulations!

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Does anybody know why small joint manipulation is illegal in MMA and BJJ? I've been thinking about it since a new guy tried to twist my fingers to get out of a rear naked choke. It didn't do much.

It was explained to me this way:
"A broken toe or finger will never make you lose a fight, but it could end your career."

Small joint manipulation is generally a terrible way to try to influence the immediate situation, even in a hostile environment. Meanwhile it is a fairly high risk of leaving permanent damage that will negatively affect someone forever, even when done in a friendly environment.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Hi, I'm not new to posting here, but I'll introduce myself anyways. I'm Trevor Childs, and I train under Ron Dupuis at Windsor Brazilian Jiujitsu (in the warmest place in the frozen north, Windsor, Ontario, Canada).

Ron and I are in L.A. to train with his instructor: Jean Jacques Machado. We got to do classes and roll in the main HQ in Tarzana, 805 Jiujitsu, and the JJM school in Malibu. On the first night Jean Jacques and Ron promoted me to black belt.

All the lovely people who tried to tear my arms off (I'm the tall goofy looking guy in the panda gi)

It was my first time rolling with multiple black belts, and going in I was mildly terrified. But I was able to hold my own and play my game (half-guard with lockdowns from the bottom, grinding to mount from the top). I have some tricks they aren't used to, and they have some that were a test for me. It was a great way to gauge my skills against a wide array of styles, aggression levels, and body types, and really solidifies where I am in my BJJ journey. I got to train and roll with Greg Hamilton, Mike Armstrong, Jay and Mike Zeballos, and a number of other great people.

I started training just over nine years ago. At the time I was 315 lbs, 26 years old, and hadn't done anything seriously athletic for over a decade. I had seen BJJ on an early season of The Ultimate Fighter (back when the show was mostly focussed on their training), and passed by WBJJ every day on my to and from work. One day I wandered in, and after that first lesson I never wanted to leave. I trained every hour they were open, and got my blue belt fairly quickly because of the hours I put in.

An avulsion tear took me out for a few months, but I went back as soon as I was medically able. That patten repeated twice more, for patellar tendonosis at purple belt, and traumatic tennis elbow (i.e. I slipped while in an armbar) requiring surgery at brown belt. When my knee was healing I decided to finally start eating properly, and now I'm at about 210, which looks a bit skinny on my frame.

The cliché quote is that "a black belt is just a white belt that kept showing up." That's me. I'm not naturally athletic, and I'm nowhere near as strong as other guys. My physical gifts end at being tall, and more flexible than big guys usually are. It doesn't really matter though, because I kept showing up. I kept learning, and training. Now, after this last week I'm confident that I am where I should be for this rank. Things that were major problems for me at white and blue belt are now things I can weave around, because I kept showing up and learning for nine years.

(Note: I did try açaí for the first time this week, so it could just be the magic jiujitsu berries that carried me)

So, yeah, this is getting pretty long, but that's my story so far. A fat, weak, computer programmer living far from the major training hubs can become a tricky and technical black belt. Just keep showing up.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 30, 2017

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

spiralbrain posted:

Also it looks like JJM looks like hes ALWAYS ready to choke a MF'r out.

He's very friendly, and does smile a lot in person. But yeah, he's pretty much the scariest person in the world when he's looking serious.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I can't remember if it was here or on the BJJ Reddit, but a while back there was discussion of pulling off pro-wrestling moves in real sparring. My previous best contribution to that was grabbing both ankles on the way up from a backflip escape from high mount, to get the reverse mount double Achilles lock, a.k.a. The Boston Crab.

So this morning I'm rolling with someone and we end up in a wonky leg entanglement. Both of his feet were outside my hip, but mine were basically in a bad guard around his hips. I couldn't get anything on his ankles from the angle I was at, but I could trap them and I had good control of our position. So, I rolled us over, stood up, sat back, and locked his ankles against each other...

I have now tapped someone with The Sharpshooter.

Anyone else hit any ridiculous "fake" moves lately?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Lately my jiu jitsu has felt like its really been sucking. I'm getting submitted way more than I should and Im just not as "in tune" with my body. I know Im only a blue belt but is this normal? How do you guys get out of this funk? Im still going to class and Ill continue going but it kind of sucks when you're the guy always getting submitted. I honestly feel like im going backwards and its a horrible feeling.

Fundamental defense will help, as will injecting a bit of fun into your rolls. My advice for getting past the blue belt blues is a two part plan:
1. Keep defense simple and fundamental. Work on really low-level anti-smashing stuff like always being on your side. Don’t think about the whole escape, just be the best you can at step one first.
2. For offense, work on something stupid. Like, really stupid, but fun. Hunt for that gogoplata, or tornado guard sweep, or reverse-mount toe-hold, or cartwheel pass. Something low percentage but really fun. Purposefully doing something silly can pretty drastically raise your spirits, and if it fails it’s no big deal.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Juanito posted:

I've noticed that I fight very defensively. It annoys me.

Is this something that will improve, on its own, with time/skill, or is it something that I have to consciously think about while I fight?

I think this is fairly common for people in any martial art with live sparring. There’s a certain point where your knowledge of the art is way ahead of your actual ability, and it becomes a bit paralyzing. Anticipating all the possibilities of your partner’s offence, and knowing what openings you leave when attacking can build a pretty huge mental block that makes it much more psychologically comfortable to be overly defensive.

(This usually happens around when people transition out of being a beginner or novice... I guessed at your experience level based on your wording, so excuse me if I’m off the mark here.)

This phase does actually help advance your defensive skills, mainly because that’s what is being trained the most, but you don’t want to stay here for very long. In order to get past it, you might need to put some work into opening up more. It’s mostly a subconscious thing that causes it, so try to make a conscious effort to not worry/care about “losing” during training. If your mindset is stuck in that defensive zone, then what feels reckless to you is probably around the correct balance.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

spb posted:

May I get a jiu-jitsu gi recommendation please?

What are you looking for, and how are you shaped?

For lightweight I like Hypnotik. For heavier/competition style I like Inverted Gear (specifically the bamboo/cotton ones). Though that’s mostly based on how they fit my particular body type, so results may vary.

Hyperfly fits a bit longer, so those are good if you’ve got long limbs.

Tatami are decent quality for a fairly low price.

Edit: checking bjjhq.com every day and waiting for one you like the look of is a pretty good strategy if cost is a concern.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 28, 2018

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

I got golfers elbow and have been sidelined for about 2 months now. I'm swimming to get some type of work out in but I'm going stir crazy because boxing is the only thing that gets me excited to go to the gym. How do you all deal with injury lay off?

I had a knee issue that meant I had to take a year off from jiujitsu, or anything else that would involve a twisting motion. Basically all I was allowed to do was to either run or bike. I signed up for the Color Run, which is a 5k running charity event, having never run seriously before. I discovered the following:
1. Seven weeks is enough training to go from nothing to a respectable 5k time.
2. Medium distance running is fantastic for cardio maintenance.
3. I really hate running.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I'm pretty sure that professional wrestling is just soap operas for guys. At least it is for me and my kids. I don't know anyone who thinks it's real (beyond pretty amazing feats of gymnastics).

Another term I’ve heard is “Redneck Anime”.

Along that note, here’s a really good video about why it’s a great medium for storytelling: https://youtu.be/BQCPj-bGYro

I wasn’t into wrestling as a kid, but got into it as a teenager mainly due to being in drama club and learning stage combat. I stopped watching around he time I started getting into MMA and training jiujitsu. Now I find myself coming at it from another direction, as I start incorporating more and more catch-wrestling into my game.

There’s a really interesting shared history between catch-wrestling, pro-wrestling, and MMA (especially in Japan).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

slidebite posted:

Question to ask the guys here, especially ones that aren't rail skinny:

Where do you wear your belt? Just over your hips in about the place a pants belt would go or higher up, closer to your navel?

Roughly the same place as a pants belt for me.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

There’s a ton of grappling involved with fully armoured fighting. Judo is probably your best bet for learning stuff that would apply to HEMA.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

I do grappling primarily and honestly kata and board-breaking are what I miss the most from TMA. How many opportunities do you get to break poo poo just to see if you can?

I saw in interview with Frank Mir where he mentioned breaking baseball bats with armbars. Honestly sounds like a fun challenge.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

I haven't been to class in a week now since I got loving covid and also missed work most of last week. 0/10; DO NOT recommend this poo poo.

I haven’t been to class since January 2020. Done almost nothing other than grocery shopping for two years because I wanted to keep my kids and high-risk family members safe.

My whole house currently has covid. Everyone vaccinated and all mild cases so far (I’ve got it the worst, kids basically shrugged it off).

Not entirely sure how I’m going to react when I do finally return to training and someone gives me poo poo for missing so much time.

(nothing against EdsTeioh. I’m basically riding this out by rage-posting on Twitter, and here now apparently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Oh, no.

Not going to pretend I handled this well. Going to be pretty rough when I do go back.