Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I apologize for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked a hundred times, but i couldn't find any relevant examples in the thread..so here it goes

Which Martial Art Style Is Right For Me? :greenangel:

My main motivation is actual self defense (i am very much a conflict avoider and am pretty good at de-escalating and i don't intend to change any of that, but it would be nice to be at least a little more capable of holding my own if I ever get in an absolutely unavoidable attack), and aside from that, it sounds like an enjoyable fitness activity. I enjoy body movement.

I'd prefer to avoid strikes/blows/anything punchy, and focus on evasion, blocking, throwing type stuff

My body type is tall, lanky, fit but not especially strong, i climb and bike a lot

No intent to compete, just wanna take a class for a while

Given all that I just said, and knowing next to nothing about martial arts, my uninformed first guesses are aikido and BJJ, but again i know nothing

Thanks for any thoughts y'all have :)

e: i already have running shoes :cheeky:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I think a strike heavy sport would help both with mental readiness for seeing punches come your way and with evasive movement. Just from a enjoyment of training standpoint, your partner can get more from you avoiding being punched vs you keeping your distance in a grappling sport. Imo it’s a more natural part of the game to slip some strikes and disengage in a striking ruleset, vs deciding to aggressively avoid tieing up or getting neutral grips.

Of course, you would still have to specifically be choosing to exercise that escape mode during sparring to perfect it.

Thinking about the failing deescalation scenario, you might be anywhere from elbow range to arm’s length. Up to you whether the response you’re looking to build, after recognizing a punch or headbutt or shove coming, is to not get caught at all or to preemptively grab them before they get going on attacking you.

I can definitely appreciate this reasoning... but I also predict that I will not enjoy anything punchy, and it seems better to me to find one I will enjoy and stick with that will maybe also be useful in the incredibly unlikely event that I ever need it irl. But i will think on it.

Thanks for the recommendations all!