Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Kuvo posted:

we did this last night and its a real eye opener. you get so used to thinking bottom closed guard is a favorable position but that changes quickly when someone is punching you in the face

Its definitely an eye opener for some of the lazier heavier guys who won't work from
the bottom and wait to just muscle out as soon as a gap opens up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Bjj and wrestling guys, are toes getting wrecked from rolling a thing? Both my big toes are kinda bruised from 2 weeks ago and now one of my little toes is black and swollen to twice it's size. Theyn ever hurt at the time but then when I get home I notice them.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
What are the best guillotine from mount videos? I'd like to be able to attack something that isn't an arm. At the moment I go for a kimura and wait for the arm to be arm barable or finish it, but I'd like some more subs.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
So I just got back from a casual open mat rolling at my commercial gym with my training buddies and this random guy asks for a roll.

He destroyed me, destroyed me harder than I have ever been destroyed before.

Turns out hes a double Gold medal winner in the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam London at Purple belt level and is now a Brown belt at the most competitive/aggressive BJJ gym in my area.

He hasn't been able to find his matches on youtube from when he won. Apparently it was televised. Does anyone know where I would even start looking? His name was Hugh and he is 85kg.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

That being said I trained regularly under a seventh dan, the (late :smith:) Kevin Choate-Sensei. He actually trained regularly with O Sensei, he was like 6'7", and he was loving terrifying. He grabbed me by the throat once during training because I wouldn't stop leaving it open. Not choke or strike, just "whoops got your throat, okay go sit down junior your ukemi sucks today." :stare: He never hurt anybody on the mat, but he cross trained in systema, and you could tell he could loving wreck you if he really wanted to. I heard stories from a sixth dan requesting he hit her with more force so she could experience what it was like. The exact quote was, "It felt like a bomb went off in my shoulder."

What's his mma record?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Decades your matches sound fantastic, congratulations on the experience

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Omglosser posted:

"He really understands me" "we have like the same personality" "we have the same sense of humor" "I trust him more than anyone" "I feel an emotional connection to him" add secret private lessons and physical therapy sessions, a dash of deleted Facebook messages and there you have it. He's 50 and she's 25. They both deny anything ever happening. He seems genuinely oblivious yet he mysteriously deleted all of his FB messages too...

They have been loving. She shouldn't be your girlfriend anymore as she has been cheating on you. No one deletes FB messages if they don't implicate more than what you already know. You are better off without her.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Omglosser posted:

But he deleted his correspondence to "wash his hands of this negativity"! That's normal right :suicide:

Sorry you are having to go through all this, her nonsense about trusting him etc etc is just "I find him attractive". She sounds like a piece of poo poo for doing this to you and you are better off without her.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Grandmaster.flv posted:

You took your girlfriend to a gym presumably filled with athletic men that like to dominate with their hips and you are a goon that likes anime.

I don't like anime but I'm pretty loving goony. Id be pissed if my girlfriend suddenly thought it was ok to cheat because she had met some athletic men. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect not to be cheated on by your other half.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Grandmaster.flv posted:

nah, taking your girlfriend with confidence issues to a gym where 'middle aged dorks' can outperform you is perhaps pretty stupid (granted with hindsight)

Do you routinely have your partners cheat on you and leave you for someone who isn't as unatheletic as you? That seems like a really lovely way to live with your frame of mind and logic.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Grandmaster.flv posted:

no, but I do suspect there is a whole lot of projection in this post willie!

You can claim I'm projecting all you want, I'm not the one who thinks it's a bad idea to introduce your partner to potential male competition. Its weird and makes me think you might be a bit fritzl like in your attitude to women.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
How easy is it to finish an arm bar to the point where the arm is broken? I witnessed a fight on NYE between two people who had no idea how to fight and as it went to the ground one the one on the bottom was full mounted and put him arm up dead straight and it was an absolute gift of an arm bar, and it got me thinking about how easy it is to actually snap the arm. I have tapped people with arm bars and with Kimura's and stuff I can totally feel the arm give way and be snappable, but arm bars don't seem like the arm would actually snap, just do serious damage and cause a lot of pain.

Also what's the protocol for getting in a fight, would it be ok to break someone's arm, I'm not planning on but if I was the guy on top I would of seriously been tempted to do it and end the fight that way.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Novum posted:

Whats your mental state been like lately willie? Like with all the steroids and general willie d baggage.

I don't want to make this thread about that, I'll post up in the steroid thread about my recent adventures when related.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

its very hard to break the arm if you do it wrong and pretty easy (in effort) if you do it right.

But as Draculino says:

"I've seen a guy fight with'a broken arm. I never see a guy fight asleep"

I have never put someone properly to sleep and I'd hate to do it first time in a fight and accidentally have killed them. I know it takes a long time but if I've not practiced it I don't want to try it live, that and I'm sure in a fight my brain won't be thinking all that much and I'll be going on instinct and muscle memory alone. My question was more because when you land a Kimura once your past the point of no return it's really easy to see how you could snap it and do serious damage, whereas when I have an arm bar they sit comfortably in it until I figure out where I need to be pushing and which way the wrist should be and when it goes and you get the tap there's still resistance. Obviously in training your going soft as well so I'm sure that makes a difference.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

Thirty seconds of a blood choke can cause permanent brain damage and definitely kill. One of the signs of damage occurring is rigidity, which can feel like they are resisting further, their eyes don't necessarily close, and people still breathe. It can look like an opponent is still resisting the choke, even though they are completely out and experiencing brain damage. Not something for someone pumped up on adrenaline to call.

Yea this is what I was under the impression it was like, didn't some kid kill his younger brother at a party messing around doing this because that's exactly what happened? Horrific. I've got a guillotine that works if I'm on the way down and they aren't across me but I'd never put it on and not take it off, just use it to roll over into mount.

Novum posted:

It takes minutes of sustained choking for long term damage to manifest iirc and after someone hasn't been struggling for even just a few moments its pretty easy to tell they're out. Furthermore I'm worried that you've been envisioning yourself in violent fantasy scenarios in a presumably non-competitive environment and I encourage you to re-evaluate why you feel the need to.

I've seen a few fights recently and have thought about what I should do should things get out of hand, especially now I'm big enough and mostly sober at all times that if someone is getting too hurt or someone is being horrible that I'd be able to say something and not be afraid should anything escalate.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

P-Mack posted:

I remember reading one news story that was literally this, a guy had an undetected generic condition so part of his skull was one third normal thickness. Someone got in a scuffle, whacked him with an umbrella, and whoops, sentenced for manslaughter.

Running shoes.

But if eggshell skull dude comes at you, and you hit them in self defence (reasonably), is it on you that he died when you didn't mean to kill him and you didn't think your punch would, death would be an over reaction and seen as unreasonable, but punching someone would be reasonable.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
gently caress Akido, if it doesnt work in MMA it shouldn't be in the thread.

Now someone tell me if I should stop breaking someones arm if they start tapping in a street fight, are people honourable?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

What's your opinion on eye gouging and fishhooking, then?

3 strikes and an appeal to the local council

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

So when do you get thrown out for doing steroids?

I'll never fail a test.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

cool; i'll keep a look out at the tournament then

one more question i've got for now: since i have more of a background in boxing and kempo its going to be a weird change to not-striking; what happens if i reflexively / accidentally hit or elbow someone while being grappled? loss in points? dq?

This was something I worried about but I found it surprisingly easy not to hit people

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

well it turns out i got to roll with an experienced member and yeah it turned out to not really be a problem

i learned an ankle lock today, it was kind of fun trying to do my one move against his like...fifty. it was a lot of fun trying to escape and i learned a thing or two

I don't roll regularly enough but for me it felt like I was learning a new thing or five every single session, and then was thinking about it constantly to improve my game the next time I was going to be rolling.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

That's one of the things I love with grappling. There are so many moves I sort of dismissed when I was newer and some day I relearned them and started loving them and other moves I relied upon and rarely use anymore. It's really nice to see your game evolve and change over time.

I remember my only real offense from mount was a Kimura because I couldn't arm bar, but I trained arm bars and got shown why mine weren't working, and when I went for one and got it really easily I felt like a million dollars, or a real bjj player, because it felt so smooth and efficient when it worked vs when it didn't. Took my team mate by surprise as well.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I just saw the most realistic portrayal of BJJ-for-self-defence that I've seen in a film: Green Room (2015). It's a thriller about nazi punks and it was very believable in every respect. If you've ever been at a punk or black metal show that skinheads have crashed, it feels so real. There's one character who trains a little bit and it becomes a plot point.

I thought it was an excellent movie, so I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it. I'll wait until a couple of you have seen it before discussing it. Warning: contains extremely gross/believable knife violence. It just got added to Australian Netflix.

Green Room is brilliant, I didn't like the way they set it up and explained that he did bjj but I did enjoy the use of it when it was used.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

But lol at everyone who thinks martial arts have any use beyond being an excuse to hug sweaty dudes in this day and age.

Uh, I've helped out bouncers and avoided being punched by drunk people a fair few times, and I'm fairly certain the training I've been doing over the years improved my ability not only physically but mentally as well.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

i'm not sure what your starting point was but your posting makes me want to immediately dismiss any notion of mental improvement

:wotwot:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

Although I am a BJJ practitioner I don't particularly care if someone wants to learn another martial art. But I would strongly suggest that whatever your motivation for taking a martial art or combat sport is you take one that has the added benefit of being practical as a self defense application (boxing, wrestling, muay Thai, judo, jiu jitsu, sambo, etc). Although, if your main goal is to resemble Steven Seagal, by all means take Aikido.

I think the only people who would argue against this are the people who think Akido works in a self defence situation against someone who is legit trying to punch them.

Those people are really loving dumb.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Not really.

Wrestling, muay thai, boxing, judo, sambo, fencing etc all get discussed sans slapfight.

And anyone proficient in any of the above (minus fencing) would wreck anyone proficient in Akido 999 out of 1000, which begs the point, what is the point in learning Akido? It doesn't even look as good as some of the other don't work but look pretty martial arts.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Not everyone signs up for a martial arts class to meet a nurse who will inject them with steroids so that they can do cocaine and wreck drunks at the club.

That's not why I signed up, but thanks for reminding me how much fun I'm having, it's weird seeing it written down so simply.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Subyng posted:

I also joined a BJJ gym. Enjoying that as well, although to be honest the "bro" culture of it doesn't really vibe with me, although I'm not sure if this a product of the specific gym I'm training at.

It varies completely from gym to gym, I've trained at what felt like a chess/DnD Club all the way through to a place where I was genuinely scared of everyone in the place because half were on tag and the other half were drug dealers, with the odd pro fighter mixed in, all trying to kill each other seemingly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Also box.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

Sword combat is a solved problem in general.

[timg]

That gif is also relevant to Akido.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
So it turns out I can hit pads without shoulder pain but not a heavy bag. Rotator cuff what ever sucks rear end.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I'm getting more comfortable taking stuff to the ground, as I like to stand and box it always comes as a complete surprise when I shoot for a double on any of my sparring partners. My main problem is that I dive down, get the double, drive, and go forward, my brain cannot get through going sideways once I'm down there. Is this a common mistake?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

bowmore posted:

What do you guys think of Tai Chi?

I don't need my furniture rearranged

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

People get really loving mad when you ask them if aikido is like tai chi.

Lol thats good

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

What are the best videos showing proper aikido sparring and drilling?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I find it hard to understand the theory of cross training Akido.

I've done mma and boxing now for a few years, if I go take Akido for a week and then get in an altercation at the Jolly Giant Pub and punch the guy in the face to end things, I'm not going to thinking "glad I did that funny dancing non sparring poo poo at Akido", I'm going to be thinking "glad I learnt how to punch hard in boxing against someone who is actually trying to punch me instead of letting me punch them"

Now that's obvious. But I've never ever seen a video of anything like actual combat done by Akido people. So the reverse is never going to be true. That week of boxing will have done more for me in a live sparring environment than years of Akido.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Because in your scenario you get arrested for assault and if I had to end the situation it will look like I did some sort of weird lock on them and won't get charged with assault.

Nope, if some dude attacks me im not thinking "gosh I wonder how this will look to witnesses, better use a joint lock so it doesn't appear as if I am fighting back all that hard", im defending myself hard and not taking any risks. I don't know how big you are that you are so confident with your joint locks against anyone and everyone, but if some 260lbs line backer is coming at me, I don't think any joint locks or BJJ techniques are going to look any less assaulty than punching.

Punching and Guilotining/RNC's look pretty horrific equally, id argue maybe even more so as an RNC can make it look like you are trying to do a hollywood neck snap to bystanders some times.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I'm in the low 200's, very broad shoulders and 6ft. I've been in dozens of confrontations when I worked security, and worked with police. For me personally it's been effective for self defense, but a lot of that is Philosophy. I've defused a poo poo ton more altercations by being funny and talking people down. By that same token, a lot of those fights I engaged in were because another security poo poo head who did BJJ or MMA were proving they were tough, and made the situation worse.

I'm not saying for somebody starting off that doesn't have my Organization around that it's the best self defense art. I'm just saying that there are still plenty of aikido practitioners that are solid martial artists, and can handle themselves just fine.

So yea, like all good security personnel you try and deescalate things without violence, thats a given.

I am saying when it comes to you vs one guy, who is coming at you, with all the deescalating things having not worked, and hes got 50lbs on you and is swinging hard, are you really thinking in that moment "poo poo, better not hit the guy and get done for assault.

Using examples of you doing security work and being in group situations where some other security person is loving up and causing a ruckus, im talking about layperson like me, who don't want to get beaten up by some oval office walking down the street who doesn't like that I'm wearing the new Beats by Dre headphones or what ever the gently caress ever his problem is and wants to hit me, through no fault of my own, what is best for that, and it sure as poo poo isn't Akido, if anything, wherever I have seen Akido taught, it does more harm than good because someone thinks they can fight, but it turns out they have never actually practiced on someone trying to really hit them, just in slow motion by a fellow Akido fantasy dancer.

Not trying to be a dick, but I loving hate Akido because I went to my university's Akido club 10 or so years ago and never having ever done a martial art before, they were super scummy, if I hadn't of known about UFC and been a fan, I may have bought in to the bullshit they were trying to teach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

This is the best I could dig up for alive aikido sparring:

None of that looks real to me... the BJJ fighters are massively undersized and don't know how to strike, the TKD guy is too busy throwing stupid kicks from miles away. I want to see that guy against someone with a blue belt in BJJ who can box, then I might be some what convinced. Not one of those guys threw a punch that would hurt if it landed.

I genuinely think if you put someone in who could fight, it would look like this classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I