Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CommonShore posted:

Jack Slack gets some poo poo on these boards, but he has a number of articles where he does exactly this - identifying bullshido techniques or similar things working in high-level MMA bouts. The two I can remember are that he did a Wing Chun analysis of one of the Lawler-Hendricks fights (which were both significantly trapping-range fights), and he found a bunch of goofy Karate poo poo from goofy katas that Machida pulled off in real fights with slight modifications..

I believe these are the two articles you mentioned:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/wing-chun-and-mma-controlling-the-center

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/lyoto-machida-the-double-edged-sword-of-competition-karate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

willie_dee posted:

But if eggshell skull dude comes at you, and you hit them in self defence (reasonably), is it on you that he died when you didn't mean to kill him and you didn't think your punch would, death would be an over reaction and seen as unreasonable, but punching someone would be reasonable.

While I did not immediately find a state case on point, the court of military appeals has, in that situation, found that self defense still works even if you kill eggshell skull dude as a result. U.S. v Jones, 3 M.J. 279 (C.M.A. 1977)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Omglosser posted:

I believe the technical definition of assault is causing someone to fear for their life.

Not normally, no. Ignoring the difference between criminal and civil assault, and focusing here only on criminal assault in Louisiana just to give one example (other states are very similar on this point):

quote:

§36. Assault defined
Assault is an attempt to commit a battery, or the intentional placing of another in reasonable apprehension of receiving a battery.
Acts 1978, No. 394, §1.

So either attempted battery or intentionally putting someone in reasonable fear of a battery. What's a battery?

quote:

§33. Battery defined
Battery is the intentional use of force or violence upon the person of another; or the intentional administration of a poison or other noxious liquid or substance to another.
Acts 1978, No. 394, §1.

Note "force or violence", not "death or grievous bodily injury." That part covers even pushing someone with a single finger.

So you can be assaulted without any reasonable fear for your life, or even anything having happened but someone reaching out to push you and missing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not sure how this guy's aikido credentials check out, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/0KUXTC8g_pk

Meanwhile, in China:

quote:

For weeks, the mixed martial arts fighter Xu Xiaodong had been taunting masters of the traditional Chinese martial arts, dismissing them as overly commercialized frauds, and challenging them to put up or shut up.

After one of them — Wei Lei, a practitioner of the “thunder style” of tai chi — accepted the challenge, Mr. Xu flattened him in about 10 seconds.

Mr. Xu may have proved his point, but he was unprepared for the ensuing outrage.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/world/asia/mma-martial-arts-china-tai-chi.html?_r=0