Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Definitely learn to love a mouthguard, or at least something thin that'll keep your teeth from clacking together and cracking.

Also, try not to end up flat on your butt/shoulders. It's not wrestling, and you're not gonna get pinned per se, but you always want to be moving your hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

EdsTeioh posted:

Any of you goons have long hair? How do you deal with it when you're training?

A low ponytail tied at the base of the skull, generally, or split it into two (so you don't have the knot right on the spine) worked for me. But you'll probably still end up with all sorts of hair fuckery anyway, so be prepared to redo it multiple times per session.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I used to wear an Under Armor or MMA rash guard under my gi top, but y'know...boobs. But the good moisture wicking fabrics tended to make things more comfortable, and I didn't feel like I was swimming in wet cotton when my gi got sweaty. Despite the extra layers, I still found it more comfortable having a base layer than not.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I have to time my pre-workout eating or I risk barfing. I can eat protein within 1 hour of a hard workout, or carbs 1.5 hours before, but any closer than that and I'll spend half my time with my head between my knees trying to manage my nausea. Hydration throughout the workout helps some if I eat without enough time to digest.

To be fair, I have a hiatal hernia and I have to manage my protein/carbs/fat at the best of times to avoid setting off digestion problems, but even before I hosed up my esophagus, the "no food within an hour of working out" timeline served me well.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, I'd totally check that place out; looks awesome!

BJJ gi talk! I picked up a Sanabul Core when I started and am just now starting to see it shrink a little. Not terrible, but regardless, I wanted to get at least one more. Amazon has a bunch on their "try before you buy" deal, so I grabbed a couple of Hayabusa ones to try on. I'm wearing an A2 in Sanabul and know they run a little different sizing, so I got an A2 and A3. The A2 jacket actually fits fairly well, but man the pants are so tight in the hips I can't move in them and barely even get them on. The A3 pants fit a little better, but still a bit snug, but are a little long. The kimono feels like it fits "ok" in the body, but the arms go halfway down my hands. Anyone wear their stuff and see anything similar?

ninja edit: I'm 5'10" 195 36-38 waist L/XL tshirt

Do they have A2H options? I have wide hips and girthy thighs, and the "husky" pants tend to fit me a bit better while being an appropriate length. My mom can hem stuff for me, but it's a pain in the rear end, and I try to avoid it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I miss when my gym was $25/mo, unlimited everything, and they gave me a key when they realized I was a legitimate adult who'd come in and help with cleaning and maintenance once in a while. I don't think they raised the fees til maybe 2011?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

slidebite posted:

ANYHOW, I thought it was an interesting exercise. You're not going to give confidence or force an introvert to be comfortable to open up in 10 minutes but it will be interesting to see if doing things like this periodically opens them up a bit more.

I like this. At my first gym, there were only a couple of women, but all of us rolled with every other person in the gym, regardless of gender or skill level. Then there was a bit of a shake up, and I ended up on the other team in town. There, the coaches regularly split us into gendered groups, and I only got to roll with the other two women who regularly showed up. My development stagnated, and I ended up taking time off after an injury and never went back.

Re: concussion talk, I was doing BJJ with one of my teammates and went for a sweep as he was ducking in for underhooks, and we ended up with his forehead impacting my temple at great speed. Made a sound like a watermelon hitting the pavement. I finished out the session, but by the time I got home, everything was really bright, and I kept forgetting what time it was. Had to take 3 days off work because I had a pounding headache, was too sensitive to be around flourescent lights, and when someone asked me how to fix a routine Outlook problem, I burst into tears because I didn't know what "email" meant. I was the IT manager for the firm at the time. :psyduck:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
As a woman, I do appreciate a quick, "we cool?" from new training partners, but I figure that's just the standard getting to know you phase of being in the gym? Just don't make it weird and we'll stay cool.

It was a running joke at my old-old gym how many times someone (regardless of gender) ended up accidentally copping a feel on someone else while grappling, but it was always framed in an, "oops, unintentional" way, not anything even remotely sexual.

My old gym decided to avoid potential poo poo altogether by having women only roll with other women, and it sucked because we had the same 3 people in rotation every week (in a class of 5-20 people depending on the day). I really missed the old-old team's philosophy of working with everyone as long as everyone was cool with it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My parents kept my childhood belts, and the box with all that stuff ended up getting dropped off out here a few years back.

I gave my BJJ white belt to one of the new kids when I left Helena, and I got a second one somewhere along that's longer that I like better anyway. I still have no idea where it came from. I swear I didn't have a belt, and boom, there was one in the bottom of my gi bag anyway.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
The chatty hygienist is how my parents found out I was prepping for my first MMA fight :psyduck:

I didn't end up competing after hand injuries sidelined me for good, but oh man, was that an awkward phone call to have to deal with on a week night.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Morter posted:

So I think I got my throat mildly bruised by an excited person doing a rear chokehold a bit too sincerely and even though I tapped immediately (because this wasn't the point of what we were learning), a sharp pain went through my neck and it hurts when I swallow. Yay!

I realize from a bit of reading that it's just a bruise but it feels exactly like a sore throat you get from throat-related sickness. My question is: how do you treat/lessen the pain of/accelerate the healing of a bruised/sore throat from combat? I work in phone-related customer support so I have lengthy phone conversations and I know this will suck to continue having, so I'd like to get over this as soon as possible.

Cool and warm compresses, and warm drinks, will help soothe the pain, like any other bruised part of the body. Just be gentle with the temperature to start with. Try to take an OTC anti inflammatory if you can tolerate them, which should take any swelling down and help the pain. There's a lot of tissues packed in tightly in the neck, and any swelling will hurt more than you'd expect.

I used to get a lot of mild windpipe and jaw bruises from chokes, and a warm washcloth on the front of my neck while I watched TV helped a lot.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

EdsTeioh posted:

Y'all, I think I've got a pretty bad case of bursitis in my wrist that's creeping down to my ring finger. Anyone ever dealt with this? Any good non-surgical treatments?

Rest.

And ice and anti inflammatory medication, but primarily rest. I get it in my elbows from time to time, and the only thing that works is fully not using my elbow in any way that triggers discomfort until it's happy again.

Currently dealing with tendinitis in my thumb and forefinger where the only solution is to stop typing on any device, screen or keyboard. You can probably guess how well my recovery is going :sigh:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

EdsTeioh posted:

GDI yeah I work in IT as my day job so that's gonna be a no-go from me.

I iced throughout the day and used one of those basketball arm sleeves with the elbow padding, and that helped a lot when I couldn't rest it fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
The smokers in my hometown were run with an EMT and ambulance on hand. That's actually how I got on the MMA team, my D&D DM was one of the local EMTs, so he was already friends with the coach and got us a couple of free lessons as a favor.

Head injuries can escalate quickly. Not having medical professionals on staff is dangerously negligent.