Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

KildarX posted:

I can continue this series with stuff like “Things that where useful to me from Wing”, “Bad fighting/self-defense advice I’ve been given from Wing Chun students/instructors” “Wing Chun Theory for Dummies.” and pretty much anything else if anyone is interested

Please do.

My only experience with Wing Chun was several months ago, a girl and a man enrolled in our gym (boxing, kick, muay, mma), they were supposedly good at it but wanted to learn a bit from other styles, so they tried their hand at boxing and kickboxing. Most of the things they explained sounded pretty cool, but I've never seen them do anything useful in free sparring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

KildarX posted:

The Armbar was a bit much.

Did she choke her to sleep? Funny how they waited until the choke happened to (half-heartedly) try to break it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

kimbo305 posted:

Boxing for MMA or boxing boxing?
Some people find they have more power with the rear foot pointing to the side and have enough skill elsewhere to live with it. It makes it a bit easier to slip to your inside.

I learned boxing in a pure boxing gym and they taught the stance with your rear foint pointing forward, but the place where I'm going now (MMA/boxing/thai/kickboxing) taughts it with the rear foot pointing to the side. Never asked why (and I'm probably wrong), but I suspect it's easier for people to learn who wants to get later into other things that involve kicking.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Rationale posted:

're: foot placement.

I find that its not overly important to focus on. Granted, I can't outbox a grocery bag, but I find its more important to hit the guy an getn out of the way than it is to worry about which way your toes are pointing. Seriously, watch some fights. Those guys don't study toe chi.

Boxing is all about footwork, yes I know is more fun to slug it out with someone instead of doing endless footwork drills, but building on that will make you a better boxer.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I've been out of boxing for a few years due to job-related issues and now I want to go back. It's going to be tough because nowadays my stamina is poo poo and my old gyms philosphy is sparring everyday. Also, my body has changed a bit, I'm 6'1" and back then I weighted 168 pounds whereas now I'm at 185, a lot of it from lifting.

After getting back into form, I'd like to learn kickboxing or something related to it, but my flexibility has always been hosed up and I know I'll never be a good kicker.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Oh yeah, I can do one round or five, but I can't take their usual fourty-five minutes of sparring just yet because I have not done any meaningful amount of cardio for the last year because I'm a lazy fucker, don't mind me. Jokes aside, I love fighting, but I'm getting more worried as I'm getting older about long-term injuries, especially brain damage.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yeah, the owner and another coach were former pros. Usually they are taught sepparately but sometimes there are joint classes. There's also another coach that teaches bjj and/or grappling. Fairly competitive joint, but has one of the nicest/chillest environments I've ever seen.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
In my old judo gym, everyone aside from me and another dude weighted 200+ and the place turned into a sauna when sparring, so I'd say no, it won't matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
If I were to practice judo again, I wouldn't buy a white gi, they are a chore to keep clean and removing blood stains is a pain in the rear end.