Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I've always wanted to try and start martial arts but BBJ and MMA scare the hell out of me ever since I saw a YouTube video of a tournament once. Unfortunately they also seem to be the most common form of class around. Is it an unjustified fear?

Personally I've always wanted to give Judo a try but haven't had much in the way of opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

butros posted:

BJJ and MMA are two very different things.

What scares you from the tournament you saw?

The sheer amounts of poo poo the pair were pulverising out of each other was just simple astounding, basically. And yeah, it was a tournament so of course they're high level competitors, but seeing it as a youngster) about 7-8 years ago now if I remember correctly) just put notions about giving it a go to bed.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

butros posted:

There's no striking in BJJ.

Ah, well then. Can never discount the possibility that I was an idiot kid with no idea about how it all actually works.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay Judo is actually a ton of fun.

I either picked the best time or the worst time because all the other beginners were on holiday. The 6 others that were there were all 1st Dan, 2nd Dan 3 time championship winners. But yeah, no. Tons of fun. Definitely going back next week.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Is this an appropriate place to ask for advice on improvement?

Two big things I noticed on my first Judo session was firstly, I was either doing the hand movements or doing the leg movements, but not both at the same time, and secondly, I was taught and managed to practice two different throws, and one of them was a leg sweep throw. I could only manage to keep myself from falling over half the time when performing it; I just don't have the balance for it.

So, I can't practice my falls since I don't have a crash mat, and I really can't pratice any throws since, not only have I only done it once so I'd likely do it incorrectly unsupervised, there's also no one to practice with. Is there, however, ways or means for me to practice my coordination and balance?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Thanks to both of you. I'll have a look on Youtube for some instructions today.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Gotta admit, Yogo is something I didn't consider. I'll look into it. Thanks!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Bit of a practical question. I've been tending to get a lot of foot cramps during Judo practice, especially when doing randori ground work. Are there any stretches I can do on the day to help prevent and releive these cramps, and any sort of exercises I can do in the long term to prevent them in general?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I've been going to Judo long enough now that the head coach thinks on ready to try for a red belt!

Not an amazing achievement I know, but still something I can be proud(ish) about. Now I won't be the only over 16 with a white belt at the club. Well, assuming I pass.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 6, 2018

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

CommonShore posted:

They don't let you test if they're not expecting you to pass.

In what country does it go white-red? (Different national judo orgs have different progressions)

British Judo Association.

The first three mons are red belts with a varying number of yellow stripes. One for 1st and so on.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Ah cool. We don't do "mons" in Canada. Well fwiw when I'm thinking about someone's first kyu promotion what I'm looking to see is a) do they have workable breakfalls, b) can they (with a bit of prompting) show the broad mechanics of the techniques on the list, and c) can they execute one or two of them with a bit of skill (as opposed to awareness) d) can this person participate safely in a tournament.

I wish you good luck, but I'm sure that you won't need it!

Hehe, thanks.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Will an average Judo session constitute a strength training day?

I'm currently working on a 3 days a week body weight exercise routine. I tried doing to training on the same day as Judo once, never again, and have instead taken to doing the exercise regime Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, with Judo on Wednesdays. The trouble is, Judo sessions have slowly been getting harder and harder as I've improved and now that I'm a red belt I'm basically allowed to participate mostly fully. This wrecks me for Thursdays which means my form is poo poo for body weight training. Which even further wrecks me on Fridays if I ever do manage to complete the full routine, to the point I've had to call in sick to work last week.

I'm trying to find a way to balance it all, but if I could just wash my hands and count Judo as a strength training day, things would be a lot easier to work with.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Count Roland posted:

What's your priority?

Health/Weight loss for right now. I started Judo mostly as an extention to that, as well as working some skill based element in.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I'll work out something splitting the week then. If I start Friday I'll finish Tuesday.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Alright, so, a few people at my Judo club (the Sensei included) have been hinting at the fact that there is a grading competition happening in January thats "around my skill level."

On the one hand, it is something I would like to get into eventually. On the other, I really don't think I'm at a level that's worthy of competitions yet, no matter what anyone else may say or think. That, plus I don't think I'm anywhere close in any other area of training; I can only manage 4 pull-ups at most for example.

But with that in mind, what is the best way to go about training for such an oppertunity in the future? Not just the techincal skill, but the strength and endurance as well.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

This might not count but is there any decent online tutorial that will teach someone the basic movements of Tai Chi to a reasonable skill level?

It's something I've wanted to do for a long while but I don't want to risk covid any time soon. But I also know that without an instructor there to point out flaws it'll be very easy to learn wrong and mess things up long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

What are your goals/conceptions in terms of what’s right and what’s wrong? In general, for Yang style, you want to have very smooth movements that can be performed arbitrarily slowly. In almost all postures, you want your spine upright. Yang 24 is a simplified set that’s easier to memorize, though maybe leaves off some of the most aesthetic moves or transitions.

I don't really have a goal in mind per se. My worry is more, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time unlearning bad habits. And bad habits are more likely to form when I'm doing it through self study without an instructor that can spot problems before they develop.

Aesthetics aren't really a concern though so something simplified that I can learn the basics from would be very helpful.