Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
lots of hemaphiliacs itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Learning Greco would be cool as hell

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Bumping this thread since it's been over a week.

What's everyone working on - I'm working on double underhooks from butterfly

Also please share any funny injuries

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Hoover Dam posted:

Martelo de chão, which has the benefit of everyone in my group being bad at, and trying to recover confidence after a head injury three months ago. Got a rabo de arraia to the head; broke my nose, got a concussion, suddenly worse in the roda than I was before.

Does stuff like that happen often in capoeira?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

I tried a karate class last week to supplement my aikido stuff. They were very old school formal in their approach, and their website said verbatim, "Do not train with us unless you're willing to commit full time as a student." So, I sent them a email that I had a lot of fun, but couldn't go full time since aikido is my home dojo, and wishing them the best.

I got a mail back that was basically "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM WELL WHATEVER BYE."

I have no idea what people even want sometimes.

what do you get out of aikido?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Movement and footwork. Exercise. Better control over center of gravity and core muscles. Get to hang out with nice, laid back people. :)

Sounds cool

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
he cross-trained in systema?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
does the systema raise any red flags to you though - do they actually spar?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

I'unno, honestly. Most of this is from watching for like a minute or two and third hand accounts. You can check out the Wikipedia article, though, it's a legit martial art. Like not bullshit internet claims but actually used by Russian military. I do know it's freeform sparring, though. The article says there's no kata work, and I know for a fact that's true.

I don't think you actually mentioned training systema but all that you just posted is absolute bullshit. If you enjoy doing aikido or whatever for fun then that's cool though.

But I don't think you should vouch for a REAL RUSSIAN MARTIAL ARTS SYSTEM that you don't actually train in and that is most assuredly a huge steaming crock of poo poo.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Also just because people are hitting each 'hard' in a 'freeform style' (???) at a gym doesn't really lend credence.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Everything is illegal in judo

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm thankful for getting to heel hook clueless white belts

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I thought about getting back into Freestyle Wrestling but then I realized I'd get destroyed in competition because I no longer have 7% body fat the way I did in high school. Not sure where I'd even be able to find a gym that trained in it seeing as it's pretty restricted to high school/collegiate athletes. It's been 10 years since I stepped onto a mat, but drat it was a super fun sport back when I did it.

You can try contacting this place:
https://www.facebook.com/EliteWrestlingAcademy/

but honestly it seems like former wrestlers just go into judo or bjj

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Typical BJJ mindset. They should should shoot a power double and crossface the knowledge into our mouths.

are you a grapple man now?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Does that mean you can use two hands to strip a grip now?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I used to pop my head into a local gym where I was friendly with the head black belt who has phenomenal jiu jitsu and this new white belt girl started training and suddenly 50% of his rolling time was dedicated to helping to mold her game. It didn't bother me since it wasn't my main gym but lol dude could not have been more overt.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
also dude - your coach has already hosed your (ex?) girlfriend - which sucks but it's kind of your fault (sort of not really) but you should probably just cut it out of your life and move on

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
also definitely don't stab your coach - you'll either go to jail or get your rear end hilariously kicked in front of your girlfriend who will probably get turned on by the whole thing

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Omglosser posted:

How is it my fault exactly? She's an adult. She made her choices.

You took your girlfriend to a gym presumably filled with athletic men that like to dominate with their hips and you are a goon that likes anime.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
it's pretty lovely and the best thing to do would be to just cut them all out of your life and move on

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Omglosser posted:

lol they're a bunch of slightly overweight middle aged dorks. I've already made my peace with it and am indeed moving on with my life. No offense but I like a little anime or whatever but you don't know anything else about me besides that this situation has made me crazy enough to think posting it here was a good idea lol.

yeah, ironically your best defense would be to buy a pair of running shoes and just run away from it all

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Your immediate reaction to someone's girlfriend cheating on them being "Well you shouldn't have taken her somewhere she might meet dudes other than you" is maybe a little more revealing of your attitude towards relationships than you might have intended.

nah, taking your girlfriend with confidence issues to a gym where 'middle aged dorks' can outperform you is perhaps pretty stupid (granted with hindsight)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

willie_dee posted:

Do you routinely have your partners cheat on you and leave you for someone who isn't as unatheletic as you? That seems like a really lovely way to live with your frame of mind and logic.

no, but I do suspect there is a whole lot of projection in this post willie!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I also suspect I actually ruffled some feathers with the anime comment and for that I do apologize lol

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I don't know what the gently caress a fritzl is but no I don't think I'd usher my girlfriend with confidence and self-esteem issues into a gym environment where

Omglosser posted:

I've honestly never felt comfortable

because that would be dumb as poo poo.

Also do I need to remind you that you've spent perhaps upwards of five god drat years on this stupid dead forum proselytizing someone you've never met is gay - over and over again compulsively -, you've given up on yourself and started taking steroids because you're an anorexic weak twink and that on top of all that you're mentally ill? Buddy, don't talk to me about 'potential male competition' (???) - I know you're not dealing with that poo poo.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I've hooked up with girls at the gym and despite it never being a thing it was always kind of awkward later but nothing came of it because we were all adults. Still, I'd recommend not mixing your love life and mat life if you can avoid - ymmv of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

I hope you stop training.

be a role model