Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

The club I go to is going up to $60/month because they need to start saving up for a new furnace. On the other hand, it actually has a really good looking website, is run by people who do well in competitions (or referee), and has so many people at the juniors practices that the black belt in charge recently sent a bunch of the youngest away.

I've got a tournament that I am competing in this weekend, but I've been out for much of the last couple weeks trying to get over a cold. And I still don't have the best headspace for judo; I get nervous and start getting stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Tournament update: I didn't do very well. From what my coach was saying, I even had trouble getting a grip at the beginning, which hasn't been an issue in randori. On the plus side, I didn't break my neck when a Kazakhstani guy threw me with yoko-guruma. Ended up facing him twice because the people running the ladder messed up the bracketing.

Back to practice tomorrow.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Drama at the dojo: A couple black belts are leaving to start their own club. Rude things were said on the way out. Not sure who all is going yet. Yeesh.

Not sure how specific to get that won't make it very obvious where and who I'm talking about.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Depending how its done, there is always going to be a level of pissed off if a student is leaving someone and taking other students with them.

The most dreaded of all dojo techniques: angry Facebook posts.

Yeah, the head sensei wasn't happy about it, although there might be some good to come out if it, namely smaller class sizes, more instruction time with the remaining black belts (six or seven who come regularly) and a more formalized promotion system.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

CommonShore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5fVFbke5bI&t=7482s

I have it stopped at an interesting time point. Give the match a couple minutes.

I hate that kind of judo. I get why they do it, with how high the stakes are and how at this level it's all about who makes the first error, but it isn't fun to watch and it's not what the sport is about.

A few months ago I was watching another competition, neither competitor was willing to really attack. The ref let it go for ten minutes before disqualifying one of the competitors.

Just noticed: I think their software didn't know how to handle displaying the double-disqualification; only one player showed a red card.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

CommonShore posted:

(nidan?) kosoto gake. minor outside hook. I can't remember the rarely-used prefix for it to be a two-legged attack, and I can't tell if he caught both legs.

Yeah, nidan would be correct here.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Pretty much no one at my club does. One woman who hasn't come in a while cracked a couple teeth and started to after that.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Local tournament yesterday: took first in a division of three! One match by two wazaris, the other by ippon.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

I'd say that judo is more of a conditioning day, it could count as strength if your sensei is like mine and makes the teenagers do a bunch of squats with another guy on their back.

Cardio on non-judo days would be really good to help those days get better. As you get even better at judo, it should become less of a workout as you use less strength and more technique.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Travic posted:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep at it, but I'm still pretty confused. My teachers have been saying similar things, "Come to class and play and you'll get there eventually." I just don't know how to fix something when I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(.

How experienced in teaching are the black belts? It sounds like they know that grappling takes a while to learn, but don't have the knowledge base of where to correct you.

If you can, I would find someone of similar size and work through things slowly, asking them to resist enough that you can't immediately throw them. Move around, go in for a fit, figure out what you are doing wrong. Get a black belt to watch you if possible. If you can't throw them, try adjusting until you can. Get lower, move a foot, adjust your hips, etc. You brought up o-goshi, so try that. Practice where you are putting your feet and how far outside you are stepping. It may be that a couple of inches is making the difference. Remember that against bigger ukes, a lot of throws will be easier if you get them off balance first, so try a foot sweep and then going into the throw you actually expect to work.

Talk with your ukes as well, explain what techniques you want to work on and how you want them to resist. Some, especially lower belts, might be resisting too much for their skill level and not able to help you much, if you slow everything down usually they will be able to relax a bit. Technique should be developed before speed.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

My usual practice judo gi is finally starting to wear out. Any recommendations on a replacement? I'd like a 4.5 because of my gorilla arms, but would prefer not to have the heaviness of a double-weave. I've only worn Fuji and Hsu before.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

See the thread title.

More seriously, low impact cardio is what you're looking for. Running, biking, whatever works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone know a good brand of resistance bands? One of the senseis at my dojo has been posting videos and it would help when following along.