Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

what's good muay thai/kickbox in central ohio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've only heard good things about Grove City Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Entenzahn posted:

I want to start a martial art for self defense. I'm looking at Krav Maga in the long run, as I hear it's the most effective. However, the studios here are a bit pricey. Our sports university offers some cheap martial arts courses every semester, but they don't do Krav Maga. I'd still like to start there just to get a feel for how I'm going to handle regular martial arts training on top of my current sports schedule. The choice is between Wing Chun, traditional boxing and Muay Thai. Boxing interests me the least, personally. Wing Chun has a mixed reputation and is also supposed to be bad for beginners. I like the sound of Muay Thai, but I'm not sure if the instructors are any good and also the course is early in the morning (eugh).

Right now I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and do Muay Thai, or alternatively I'll toss the idea and start right up with the Krav Maga studio. Or is Wing Chun any use? I'm mostly just looking for something efficient that will help me out in a worst case scenario (I never get into fights but I'd feel better out at night anyway). I already do strength and endurance training on my own if that's important.

Alternatively if someone wants to recommend me a great martial arts studio in Vienna I'm all ears.

muay thai good, krav and wing bad

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So I just learned that my local rec center has a boxing class taught by Buster Douglas

I'm in there as soon as I get my membership

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bowmore posted:

What do you guys think of Tai Chi?

Slow tai chi or fast tai chi

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

P-Mack posted:

I think there's some guys out there working on reconstructing a more martial 19th century form of Taichi, but they're not trying to sell it as effective for teh streetz.

There's a few of them on bullshido in the China section if you want to hear about it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why is Aikido sounding more and more like Scientology?

What does this mean

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

KildarX posted:

Nah, I got up off of him and decided the dude was a tool bag that probably thought he knew how to grapple from reading some weird medieval manual or whatever and I wasn't gonna spoil the bachelor party to prove it.

In some ways you would have ruined it, in others you would have made it amazing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who are the biggest frauds in martial arts? Frank Dux and George Dillman come to mind; is there anyone else as bad as them

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Odddzy posted:

I never was into wrestling. Was there a point back in the 80's where people thought the feuds were real?

Newspapers were reporting wrestling as being illegitimate in the 30s

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lou Thesz had to do this with Buddy Rogers in the 50s, he forced him to cooperate

Also it's George Hackenschmidt. You're probably thinking of Karl Gotch, Frank's kayfabe relative who among other things, introduced catch wrestling to Japan and taught all the Japanese guys in Pancrase and RINGS how to wrestle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm in Columbus, Ohio, and I'm interested in some places to train BJJ and/or judo. I saw what you guys have posted about session per month pricing, and every gym here except for Gracie does that.

These are the two that really stand out as possibilities:

https://www.ronintrainingcenter.com
https://triumphbjj.com

Which of the two do you think is better, or are both of them solid