Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm intrigued by learning some martial arts now that I've started losing weight and am a bit more healthy. One thing I'm worried about is that I have a pretty bad knee from being hit by a car when I was a teenager. Are there any specific martial arts I should avoid if my knee isn't particularly great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neon Belly posted:

How bad is a pretty bad? Can you put weight on it?

I mean yeah, I can put weight on it and walk pretty normally. I've done a lot of PT and strength training for it over the last year, so I do work out and do squats/leg press and I'm decently okay but it's definitely not as stable as the other one. If I'm doing a leg press for example it can take about 70% the load the other one can

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Judo can be pretty rough on the knees.

If you don't mind not being sporty, tai chi might actually help you rehab the knee.

I've done tai chi chuan for a while and it has definitely helped!