Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Is this all a very high-effort troll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

All the lovely BJJ videos I've seen usually have all the BJJ guys saying "who the gently caress is this faker" whereas all the lovely Systema videos I've seen usually have all the Systema guys saying "that's my teacher and it's all totally legit".

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Kekekela posted:

e: lets just say theres some pretty funny stuff on that site

You are not wrong. I just learned how to tactically navigate a corner thanks to FearLess Tips.

I thought one of Krav's only real-life positives were that you would end up very fit. I don't think that any more.

Edit: the head instructor is actually the short dumpy dude. Combat LARP extraordinaire.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 23, 2016

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Choking people with their own clothes is the most fun anyone can have. 75% of my game is based around this, which is why I am relatively lovely at no-gi!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

If you go to learn what, for the sake of this analogy, is a fighting art, and it wouldn't help you at all in a fight, and would in fact probably get you beaten up if you tried it, then you have accidentally learned dancing. Dancing is cool, and will get you fit whilst having fun, but there are better dance styles than Aikido.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Hoover Dam posted:

You got something against dance fighting?

You wanna loving tango, m8?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

KildarX posted:

Weird how? like "I don't wanna crush you cause you tiny weird?", "I don't wanna accidentally touch you because you're a girl weird?" or being creepy weird?

First time I ever trained BJJ with a girl, it was weird. I didn't wanna accidentally offend her by touching her tits, or smash her. She had been doing it for a while, and told me "it's just wrestling, dude, go for it", and she was right.

So hey, weirded-out dude: it's not a gender-based thing. You are going to accidentally grab breasts and have to pull your arm out of a full-crotch armbar, the same way you're gonna have to put your balls on a guy's face if you want your N/S kimura to work. You'll get over the contact aspects of it.

Edit: you're a lady! Bad reading comprehension on my end, it's late over here. My post at least hopefully explains why new guys are weird. They will get less weird, as they become more familiar with grappling. We've got a new dude who gets upset at having to close Guard around a man because "it's a bit gay".

We have such sights to show him...

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 4, 2017

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Without sparring against a resisting opponent there's no way to test and refine technique though, surely?

Maybe I'm missing the point.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

That's a fine analogy that I am going to steal for the future.

Anecdotally, when I started learning JKD at a school that was busy phasing out of it, I'd spar with a guy that would constantly try to trap.

The amount of times I harshly hit that man in the face would make you think that he would have gathered enough evidence that no, it doesn't work against a guy who had been "fighting" for a quarter of the time comparatively... but nope, the Kool Aid was thoroughly consumed.

I love JKD but there's too many people that want to believe in the magic rather than the principles.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Odddzy posted:

What are people's view of the paper cutter choke here? I'm finding myself using it more and more when I pass to side control but some people call it a move that leads to DQ.

It's just a rad no-gi baseball bat choke, with all the pros and cons that no gi has. Make sure you do the cool slide through with the knee to strip the inside defending arm!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Oh god someone's rattled the Aikido box again

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

spiralbrain posted:

I'm still new to this so maybe someone can enlighten me, but are steroids a problem in the world of competitive BJJ?

Depends how you define "problem" I guess...

I don't think they bother testing, generally.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

"The loving Mentalist" is still available, you're good to go.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

JaySB posted:

Where are you located and what are you trying to learn how to do?

He's just trying to learn how to counter willie dee so he can twoc some scooters.

What's your go-to, willie?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Also I've got a shiny ten pounds that says willie ends up in prison by the end of 2018 if anyone wants to take a piece of the action!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Stovec: probably "STOLEN VEHICLE" but for idiots. We had something in the UK ages back called "twocking": TWOC = Taking Without Owner's Consent.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

How this isn't the thread title at this point I have no idea

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I like to prepare to fight naked. For... reasons.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’m 35 and more than three two-hour sessions a week just seems to just lead to me getting injured.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’m gonna steal willie’s bike

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’ve literally burst out laughing on a train journey because of this thread. God bless you, willie dee, you utter fruitcake.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

They’re practically personally taunting you Willie with their demands for ransom.

What will they do next if you let this stand?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

What kind of strength and conditioning routines do you guys use to supplement your punchsport/pajama wrestling?

I can up Mechafunkzilla’s regimen because I both drink a lot and also play video games.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

The filmer did everything right? What were some alternatives you were thinking of?

Getting smashed in the face a lot with a hammer, I suspect.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I always liked them from a figure four grip for an armbar as a way of adding some extra threat.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Mention it to some of the higher belt guys. If it’s anywhere like I’ve trained, they’ll be unhappy with him putting off potential long-term teammates, and will “adjust” his attitude until he he either gets the point or fucks off.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Hi-yaaaaaa motherfuckers

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I did JKD for a few years and the bits that worked were the punching and kicking people and not the wing chun stuff. I did BJJ for about five years and that worked real nice too. So here’s my top three:

BJJ
Punching and Kicking People
Wing Chun

Feel free to change the top two about as you please.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

I like Wing Chun. People just use it wrong by not adapting to the real world. In close quarters, Wing Chung works very well for temporary traps and blocking.

Walking toward your opponent in the classic stance is stupid though. Use Wing Chun when you are in position to use Wing Chun. Use standard MMA otherwise.

Same with traditional jj. It's got some good stuff, but I consider it an intermediary art. It needs something else with it.

Okay, I’ll take the bait: never met anyone doing any kind of Wing Chunnery that was worth their effort. I used to literally repeatedly smash a guy in the face with jabs who couldn’t believe his six years of training couldn’t overcome my idiocy of just “carrying on hitting him”.

I can see how it was worth him learning for the art of it. But it didn’t work. Not a brag, I’m a loving dumbshit at striking with very bad coordination due to an inner ear problem.

And I’ve just realised at this point we’re getting into the thread’s favourite argument and hell: do what’s fun. Fighting is stupid, sparring is fun.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Martial Arts Thread: Worst case scenario is you get stabbed to death

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress me it’s getting weird in here.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

ihop posted:

Bob human being is going to fit in here just fine

Only place he’s fitting is in willie’s car boot

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Açai, the Mangosteen of BJJ.

Edit: haha beaten to the punch

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Anecdotally, there was a m2f transgender competitor (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I don’t have much experience with that world) in the U.K. amateur BJJ scene for a bit.

She ended up stopping entering competitions as far as I’m aware because of the utter hatred being spewed online and at comps at her from both men and women, white belts to the head of Carlson Gracie U.K., Wilson Junior (bigoted old gently caress).

Dunno if Judo is the same but for what I’ve seen, in BJJ, if you’re transgender then actual competition requires you to have a ridiculously thick skin.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

For what it’s worth, she’s called Chloe Moore, maybe you could shoot her a message on FB, maybe she’s got some better advice.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Was she entering female competitions and winning them ala Fallon Fox?

Pretty much. But then what does she do, she’s a female now. Can’t compete in the men’s.

My bright idea was “fix the weight classes for women in BJJ”. This was apparently stupid.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The problem in the situation that I mentioned was that the person in question was legally a woman. So they can’t fight men, and can only fight women at a comp.

It’s a situation that Amateur FightSports hasn’t really got a decent solution to yet.

And from what I recall, Ms Moore had been tested for whatever male hormone it is the Olympics look for in transgender competitors and had less of the manly hormone than most women due to whatever she was taking to transition (if she ever reads this I’m sorry if I’m getting it wrong), so even the loving Olympics would’ve accepted her as being able to compete. I haven’t got any better solutions or ideas other than, like I said, add some more heavier weight classes for women.

The main issue (in my eyes) is the rampant homo and transphobia. Wilson Junior kept deliberately calling her “him” and “a dude” publicly, which to me is one of the saddest things about Martial Arts in general. You hug dudes for a living, you don’t get to be weird about other people’s life choices.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Yes. You'll get used to it.

Where would one have this discussion though? Not being snarky, just don't know where you would have an appropriate discussion about science related topics for transgender people in combat sports? D&D? TGRS? A/T? PSP?

Seconding this, it’s an interesting topic and I’ve actually learned a bit from the thread, but it doesn’t really fit anywhere else.

Edit: actually, are there any other combat sports that have managed to legislate a good way to include transgender competitors or is it just a new issue, in terms of increased visibility/frequency?

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 25, 2018

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I always just took my glasses off and moved a lot closer for any demonstration bits, it never hurts to get a different angle on finer details anyway.

I tried having contact lenses in, but to be honest they come out quite a lot due to the rough and tumble, and if you put them back into your eye after they’ve been on a mat then your odds of getting staph in your eye goes waaaaaaay up so basically: gently caress That.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Consummate Professional posted:

I once had a juggalo punch a contact out of me at a less than jake show. I think I'm gonna stick with glasses and being blind and see how it goes

It’s the same thing except instead of chanting “family” and hatchetman it’s red shields and “osssss”