Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I want to start a martial art for self defense. I'm looking at Krav Maga in the long run, as I hear it's the most effective. However, the studios here are a bit pricey. Our sports university offers some cheap martial arts courses every semester, but they don't do Krav Maga. I'd still like to start there just to get a feel for how I'm going to handle regular martial arts training on top of my current sports schedule. The choice is between Wing Chun, traditional boxing and Muay Thai. Boxing interests me the least, personally. Wing Chun has a mixed reputation and is also supposed to be bad for beginners. I like the sound of Muay Thai, but I'm not sure if the instructors are any good and also the course is early in the morning (eugh).

Right now I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and do Muay Thai, or alternatively I'll toss the idea and start right up with the Krav Maga studio. Or is Wing Chun any use? I'm mostly just looking for something efficient that will help me out in a worst case scenario (I never get into fights but I'd feel better out at night anyway). I already do strength and endurance training on my own if that's important.

Alternatively if someone wants to recommend me a great martial arts studio in Vienna I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Oh, did not expect that about Krav - would you say it's all around a bad system or is this more of a thing where it's too hard to find an instructor that isn't teaching you five finger death punches and spirit bombs?

Mostly asking out of curiosity at this point since it looks like I'll be doing MT based on your responses, or maybe boxing if I can't be arsed to get up at 6.30 to get my poo poo kicked in before work. :v: thanks for the feedback guys

e: ^I'd totally read that dump

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Siivola posted:

Did you read the OP? Read the OP. Especially the links. :v:

I mean, okay, exactly what is the worst case scenario, and how would knowing martial arts help at all? Looking at the news, the worst worst case scenario right now is an active shooter situation in a rock concert. But then, on the other hand, a local guy died earlier this week when he got kicked by a nazi, fell down and broke his head. I dunno, maybe he could've used some Muay Thai.

The best martial art is the one where you get attacked a lot in unpredictable ways and learn to deal. The krav place might train that way, or they might just go "no attack me like this so I can grab your crotch". The wing chun place probably doesn't train like that. The boxing and Muay Thai places probably do. Go check them out. I'm not gonna judge if you end up doing krav maga just because it feels badass.

But buy the drat shoes.

I did! But even the Sam Harris blog entry conceded that sometimes violence is unavoidable. It's never happened to me. It probably never will, I'm not the kind of guy who gets into fights. But I'd feel better about myself if I felt like I could handle myself. That's all.

But yeah, I'm totally doing the Muay Thai thing. I was just curious. I like reading about this stuff, so thanks for explaining everyone.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Follow-up to yesterday: I've enrolled in a boxing class. The Muay Thai class sounds nice too but it's early in the morning and my inline skating course is on the same day late in the evening. Muay Thai sounds pretty intense so I think that would be too much. I'd also have to lift weights the morning after :suicide:

e: Sorry – what I wanted to know was, is strength training or cardio on the same day as a Muay Thai or boxing class a good idea, or is it too much? I have never done martial arts so I don't know how intense it usually gets.

(I don't know why I ended up posting what I did)

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 21, 2016

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Now that I'm about to start boxing I'm actually getting a bit worried - how much damage can the sport do to your brain? If I'm anxious about this sort of thing I should probably leave out sparring, but is boxing without sparring still useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Alright, thanks guys. The course is only going for 90 minutes a week so I'll do as you suggested and only spar occasionally with protective gear on. In the long run, is Muay Thai better in this regard or should I generally steer clear of striking arts if I'm overly worried about brain damage?