Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Has someone posted this one yet? An elderly judo master, 10th Dan Mifune, wipes the floor with his high ranking juniors. You can tell the juniors are really trying, too. Something I learned from the video is that apparently at 10th Dan the practitioner can literally fly.

https://youtu.be/hv5BszX15fc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Ohtori Akio posted:

Started kendo, kendo rules. It's a really nice feeling being in a huge traditional practice with a bunch of helpful senior students. i don't think it would be helpful in a street fight, but I own running shoes.

Holy loving poo poo a hardwood floor hurts bare feet though.

I think many different martial artists over the last century had the thought, "oh I could totally work jō into this". Kendo has its own, aikido has its own, I know the old schools do too. I don't think I'd ever be interested, I'm just not that likely to run into an angry swordsman blocking my path.

Kendo absolutely does rule. If I had a good Aikido school like mine and a Kendo school in the same area I would be really hard-pressed to pick one.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m glad my father isn’t around to see this bullshit. Steven Seagal continues to be a bonehead.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh no poo poo? Well that's good to know; I guess maybe I built up some weird image in my head. I did just hear back from a BJJ place here; I'm going to do an intro class I think. I also found a Wing Chun/Aikido place that looks pretty awesome as well; gonna see what's up with those guys.

I loved my Wing Chun training but had a difficult relationship with my Sifu. He knew my father was my primary instructor and had passed away and would do poo poo like say, “Do you think your father would be proud of that?” We did lots of drills and while we did do forms it’s not like a lot of kung fu schools where performance of taolu is paramount. Aikido I also love but be prepared to know your goals and expectations. Training orthodox Aikido will never make you a fighter, but I have seen schools where if you stuck with it long enough you probably could use it in a self-defense defending against a drunken punch kind of situation.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

My one advice is watch their tap culture. If people don’t immediately release when you tap and it seems like the school doesn’t take the tap seriously, I would personally never go back. My father taught me the tap is sacred and I think he had it right.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Our TKD/Hapkido Grandmaster put together trips to Korea. He was World Taekwondo (World Taekwondo Federation at the time) and was very involved in WTF politics. Unfortunately that colored the tours and they ended up being very political. From your posting, though, that doesn’t sound like that’ll be a problem. I’d love to tour Korea, though. Temples, food, sounds like a great time!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Morter posted:

To address this and what the other person remarked on (planning to fight): I had just done a bit of reading on arts that I felt were interesting--priniples/objectives, etc, and a few things that were commonly sprinkled around various analyses and forums was that WC is very utilitarian and combat-centric, because of its short range and pressure. So it would make sense for someone who--for example--wants to compete and up their repertoire, ro someone who's already athletic and wants to try martial arts with their already-capable body.

I'm neither of those, so I wasn't sure if I should try anything easier!

But all of your responses are encouraging, and I'll definitely drop by after work today. Hoping it's a good place, because it's the only interesting locale within a half hour of me. :ohdear:

Thank you, folks! (And please continue if you do have more input/advice)

I don’t want to ask revealing information if you’re not comfortable but does this school have a website we could look at? Sometimes you get a lot of info sometimes you don’t get any.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Wow, big organization! I have heard of Benny Meng and his Wing Chun, the “Shaolin Wing Chun,” but unfortunately I’ve never seen it in practice. Definitely worth the free trial class!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The place honestly looks great

I agree.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

That one was totally on me. We have a warm up room with a padded floor where we typically train take downs on for the first time (we still need to do the actual test on the wooden floor), but since I had been taken down tons by that time (although not nearly as often as you ground work people do) and believed I knew how to fall correctly, I just went straight out to the wood floor. That was my call.

In retrospect, I should have known better. My friend who did the take down on me is approx 6'4", fit, clamped on to me with his legs and whipped me back so fast I was totally taken by surprise. Much faster than the others. Afterwards I trained in the backroom (learned my lesson) and started by not standing quite so tall and being a little hunched over a little in prep for the backwards fall.

But, we do all our take downs on the wood floor for testing so we start moving from the padded floor to the main floor as students get comfortable with it. Although most of the other take downs we do the attacker is more able to control the person and their fall so it's not really a high risk unless there is a really large size differential or if it goes really sideways.

We really don't do take downs often, NEVER do it in sparring and is always 100% planned and never a surprise. But they are prerequisites and part of the test for blue/red/black. As a black belt I won't do any again until I start training for my 2nd or need to assist a more junior belt for their test or just do it to keep in practice.

This isn’t a judgement, just curious, why don’t you all use removable foldable mats for when you need to do takedowns and falls on the hardwood?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

We actually do both for training. The main gym has the padded back room so we use that, the satellite schools don't so they use tumble mats.

But for the actual testing and such it's always on hardwood, because, well, I guess its just one of those things that's just the way it's always been done. Part of it is probably getting over a fear of falling/learning to fall properly without hurting yourself but :shrug:.

That said, we have such a concussion awareness thing going on now I wouldn't be surprised if it gets brought up we might make a change, or maybe give it as an option? I never thought about it tbh.

I got into a little bit of trouble once when I was training Wing Chun. We were doing free sparring and Sifu encouraged those of us with backgrounds in other arts to use them. So the guy comes in and I slip forward and throw him and as I’m starting the throw Sifu yells, “Not on the [hardwood] floor!” so I stop and hold the guy up so he doesn’t fall. I was so used to training on mats it completely slipped my mind we were on wooden floor making falls more dangerous.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 10, 2023

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Edit: Never mind, not related to the topic enough.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 17, 2023

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Has anybody in the thread done traditional Chinese martial arts and practiced iron body/iron vest/golden bell? I’m interested in practicing this teacher’s method because he focuses not just on self-beating but also qigong. I know there is some controversy about it but I am a believer that the qigong and self-beating methods are good for you in a way other than just conditioning to withstand blows.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I trained taijiquan for a while with someone who took the qigong aspects of CMA seriously. The applications I was ever able to develop for that stuff, as I learned it, were extremely few.

If anything, the other benefits would probably far outweigh fighting application in terms of developing toughness in a combat sports or even defense context.

When older Chinese people go swimming in bodies of water, they slap themselves all over to get blood flowing to help resist the initial sting of getting into the cold water. It’s an unusual tradition, but it has an obvious minor physiological effect. I feel like the instruction you linked is extrapolating pretty hard from basics like more bloodflow and general activity.

I appreciate your insight!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Thank you for that write up! Absolutely fascinating. Some of those pictures were phenomenal. The single portrait with the water mark of just this insanely beefy wrestler was my favorite.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Morter posted:

One more update from me and my Wing Chun journey. I've earned my fourth belt (10 being Black belt) after passing an exam, and I'm now an intermediate student, where things will not only get more technical, as well as getting into official sparring classes.

I started in February at 242 lbs (5'8") and with 0 experience in fighting. I'm now under 200 pounds (Hovering ~196) and now i'm going to slug it out with others! Most fulfilling thing about this is how nice fellow students, new and old, were to me regarding the work I put into this, now that I've ascended in a significant way. It's very encouraging and rewarding to work and hone myself alongside others. In fact, when I took my test, someone who's in my grade, but is older and has experience in other arts (thus, I look up to) said I had powerful, 'WWE Style' takedowns when we tested our ground-based movements and leg-shoot takedowns for our belts. It surprises me how good people say I am at something, compared to how weak I am at something.

But now I have a collection of novice belts to hang up, so that counts for something. :sweatdrop:

Good on you for sticking to it! Congratulations! :hfive:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

alnilam posted:

My main motivation is actual self defense

aikido

I love good Aikido, but it’s really only good for self defense if your opponent has literally no idea what they’re doing or is very drunk. Basically if they grab your wrist or swing wildly you’d be good. This is simply my opinion others will disagree.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

Shoulder update: Saw an ortho who figures it's either a torn rotator cuff or a torn labrum with the labrum being the better case scenario. Get a referral to get an MRI, go to get that done today, and, *after* my "insurance" they tried to bill me $1200. Said no thanks. RIP my BJJ hobby.

Healthcare is a Hellscape. I’m so sorry, this is an awful situation to be in.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

This might not count but is there any decent online tutorial that will teach someone the basic movements of Tai Chi to a reasonable skill level?

It's something I've wanted to do for a long while but I don't want to risk covid any time soon. But I also know that without an instructor there to point out flaws it'll be very easy to learn wrong and mess things up long term.

I am a DVD warrior because I love to learn about other styles and schools. If you’re willing to pay some cash, I’ve got some recommendations for training aids that are good and thorough.

Wu Style Taijiquan is a very interesting set because of its distinctive lean. If you’ve done other martial arts it may seem straight up wrong but once you get the angles right I promise it will make sense. Also the frame of the form is higher up and closer together so it’s easier on the knees. I haven’t tried this teacher’s online platform, when I was introduced to him he was selling DVDs, but his videos are still the same.

Master Yang Jwing-Ming’s Yang Style Taijiquan is a little controversial. Some folks consider his teachings a little vanilla. However, his technique is, imo, solid and he really is teaching to a complete beginner. The other advantage of this presentation is that Dr. Yang also has resources on push hands and martial art applications. If you have a buddy or two you could make a club and practice together and get some skills.

The Sun Style Taijiquan by Tim Cartmell in four volumes is expensive. However, this is the best presentation I’ve seen teaching a Taiji form from a DVD/tape. Mr. Cartmell teaches with an emphasis on proper body mechanics and teaches ways to make sure you’re getting it right. The Sun style also has the smallest and highest frame, so it’s suitable for almost everyone. There are applications, but the presentation is primarily for health.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 25, 2023

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

A few years ago at the Kuo Shu in MD I was watching the Lei Tai (full contact raised platform fighting). This guy does a textbook roundhouse kick and catches the other guy right in the knockout point on his jaw and the person who got kicked was out on his feet, full on fencing response. He slammed backwards, smashing his head (fortunately they wear headgear) and the medical team just stood there, watching. It took almost 20-30 seconds for them to move after he slammed on the ground.

I believe that was the same year my old Wing Chun Sifu told me the story about the Grandmaster who put the event together. A few years into the tournament’s life the Boxing Commission showed up, told GM he’s in violation, and that if he didn’t pay them back pay plus interest the tournament would be shuttered, indefinitely. Fortunately he had his checkbook.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

lei tai is nuts man. i get scared seeing people play rough on hard gym floors. but with elevation???

That same tourney I saw two heavyweight women fighting. Unfortunately, one was heavy because she was tall and built and the other was short and obese. When the fight started the tall woman bull-rushed the other woman and knocked her clean off the platform. She did this two more times automatically making her the victor. I am not exaggerating when I say not a single attack was actually thrown.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

So my father taught my sister and I, as early as he could, Hapkido breakfalls and rolls (what Aikido calls ukemi). I remember a few years ago seeing for the first time a presentation on I think shuai jiao where their technique for falling is to tighten the whole body into a kind of fetal position, landing on the side and protecting the head. Has anybody here practiced this or both styles of breakfalls and can elucidate the logic behind this fascinating technique?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Morter posted:

Looking for a freestanding heavy bag for striking at home. Are there any specific things to look for in terms of features or materials, or conversely, brands to watch out for/avoid? (Practicing Wing Chun, if it matters)

If you’re doing Wing Chun, have you considered a wooden dummy with strike pads attached?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Morter posted:

Admittedly not but the main reason I want a standing bag is to practice my kicks. The stuff you do against the dummy is more to practice your hand technique, and your short range (leg/knee-kicking), but I imagine I'd get a lot of use with a standing bag to do my round and thrusting kicks.

Ah, I see. Then yeah a mook isn’t what you’re looking for.