Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Let's Not in the Face Except Sometimes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGmCjTYMqBk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Please don't pick fights with armed randos. :ohdear:

Anyway, I finally finished reading Alex Gillis's taekwondo book A Killing Art and it's pretty great if you want :stonklol: stories about the people who invented TKD.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I dunno, I'm pretty bad at paraphrasing.

One of ITF's official forms is named juche. It was created when General Choi (ITF's founder) defected to the North and realized one of the previous forms was named after a guy the communists imprisoned for treason. Meanwhile, his son was in Canada, plotting to assassinate South Korea's president.

Incidentally, South Korea's political history is pretty hosed up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That'd be really steep in Finland, but I've no idea about your particular corner of the world.

But, uh, I dunno really. Pay attention when they show breakfalls I guess? Try to relax without being limp? Just dive in, try to feel your way around and don't listen to Willie Dee.

Edit: I guess, don't expect too much? Aikido's basically tai chi but with a lot more rolling on the ground.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 3, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don't sweat it, do what feels right. Ultimately, Novum isn't wrong – if you want to grapple, you're going to get 1000% more out of a judo or a BJJ class. But aikido's chill and somersaulting around is fun once you get the hang of it, so maybe give it a shot.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The last iteration was the best one thus far, I really enjoyed it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Do check out Taekwondo while you're at it, those people do some high-flying poo poo. Probably have a more active competitive scene than capoeira, too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Start at the hips and work your way down.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sticks are kinda universal. Are you sure you don't have any of the following around?
  • Trad Japanese sword stuff
  • Wing Chun or other kung fu school
  • Italian traditional arts
  • HEMA club
  • Jogo du Pau
  • Canne de combat (might have to ask at a savate club)
  • A Dog Brothers group

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, fair enough. I know you asked for video sources, but might I interest you in some rear end-old French books instead? https://hemamisfits.com/2015/05/07/the-sticks-of-joinville-what-is-french-baton/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've a soft spot for shouty Japanese sports like naginata and jukendo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkSxqvL2iPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0XwlWSc9oM

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JaySB posted:

You realize that you have no idea who the other person who might get "froggy" is or what they're capable of right? This false sense of over confidence will get you killed.
Remember when Willie chased a bike thief without any idea if they were armed or not?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Three years of aikido training have left me confident I can put him in his place if he gets froggy. :smuggo:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guess is that they break easily and heal poorly.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the upside, you don't have to live in Oulu any more. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can practice breathing whenever. In through the nose, hold for a bit, out through the mouth, hold for a bit. Once that doesn't make you uncomfortable, start working it into your drills.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYl1kL9_jQ

I don't usually post bad videos because glass houses and all that, but :thunk:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...That's feng shui you potato. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

super nerdy armored combat
HMB? Or are you one of those rich fucks who can afford to joust?

I'm totally not jealous of people who can afford to joust!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 21, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh right, you guys are around the "nerdy swordy sphere" too.

If the tai chi instructor does a lot of push hands training, you might pick up some neat things you can do with your shoulders and weight distribution. It's kinda woo, but it's interesting woo. Might be useful for moving around in harness I dunno.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

In my experience there's a pretty big overlap between historical reenactment kind of martial arts and the "mystical ancient masters" stuff. I'd imagine lots of people get into traditional Japanese jujitsu for the samurai aesthetic, and there's a poo poo ton of really lame "you're all poo poo my way is the ~~truly martial~~ way to swing swords!!" in HEMA. See, for instance, that video of HEMA dudes trying to turn the clock back on modern boxing.

If you're curious about butterfly swords or really like the Ip Man trilogy, you could do worse than get into wing chun imo.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

He also did a week-long seminar session with a top-level combatives instructor, and he said he knew more about grappling than the guy did, although the guy was much more adept at stabbing people while rolling.
Cold steel really is the great equaliser. :ese:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Most people don't actually go to a martial arts class hoping to learn how to fight acid-flinging villains on mopeds.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Y'all got me watching Ip Man 3 on Netflix and now I'm actually kinda curious to take a wing chun class to get a feel for it. Don't have the money or the time, but it'd be neat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neeber posted:

Being a male ballet dancer would be an incredible base for any martial art.
I hear it fucks up your knees and ankles something fierce. :smith:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The steroid-zit might pop and that'd be gross.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KildarX posted:

Look for cheeky muay thai clinch foot sweeps instead.
If you do those in a gi, they're basically judo throws.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Just buy running shoes.
Why not both?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fencing obviously lacks the "ow I'm being punched" factor, but I've noticed I don't try attacks I'm not confident will work. At my level that easily feeds into this negative feedback loop where I try something and it doesn't work so I don't try it again so I never practise it so it doesn't work...

Gotta embrace the suck and focus on the times when those things do work, I guess.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you have poor knees or ankles, regular boxing might fit you better. But just go try both out and pick the one that suits you better. (Also try the BJJ.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There's a new savate promotion called KFWC Savate Pro that's inviting regular shorts-wearing kickboxers to put on shoes and throw down. They had an event back in November: http://www.dailymotion.com/FFSavate/videos

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Who's Kristopher Zylinski and what name does he post here under?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It looks a bit like the guy being thrown keeps landing on his arm and that can be dangerous, but that's because he's not breaking the fall properly.

Getting thrown hard like that is scary at first, but eventually you get used to it. Some people even start enjoying it!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

When I did my spot of judo (I wussed put pretty quick after an unrelated injury), us beginners would practice the big throws on thick crash mats intead of the tatami.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What up impending pre-midlife crisis buddy. Go do some martial arts.

Edit: Oh. Okay, how do you need to defend yourself?

(Running is good.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Go do whatever you find coolest and most fun because that's what you're most likely to actually stick with.
Not emptyquoting. Most martial sports are scary at first, but eventually you'll get used to getting bopped on the nose/pinned under a huge-rear end goon/choked by a tiny child. Framing it as a sport helps people set goals and push themselves.

If Muay Thai sounds cool, find a place and go check them out! (The first session should be free.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's way more interesting than the competitive aikido videos we had a while back.

Or heck, Olympic TKD. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

New thread name right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa27o_zzRH8

Some effin gorgeous ippons from the past season. I should watch more judo. :swoon: