Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

If nothing else you'll learn breakfalls from judo which are an essential life skill imo. They should teach that poo poo to everybody in grade school
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I did it for a couple of years before pivoting to modern fencing (and now don’t do either because of job hours, :rip:), and iirc DandyLion
is an instructor.

But yeah, you're correct. Single-leg takedowns and judo-esque leg sweeps also work if you don't have a big lever handy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pretty much:

I was actually thinking of an unarmoured dagger technique that's pretty close to a modern single leg, but I can't find an illustration of it in armour. Here's something vaguely related instead:

These illustrations are from a set of manuscripts called the Gladiatoria group that's all about fighting in armour. The techniques in the manuscripts appear over and over in different late medieval sources, but I really love the art style in these ones.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 2, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have taken pointers from Steven Seagal and traditional Japanese martial arts and started developing a protective layer of fatty tissue around my body to protect my organs.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A karate studio opened within a walking distance and their hours fit my dumb working hours, so I guess it's time to wash the old gi.

I hope they say "oss" a lot.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

I hope they say "oss" a lot.
They don't say "oss". :sigh:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Now there's an idea!

On an unrelated note I recently finished Charles Russo's book Striking Distance: Bruce Lee & the Dawn of Martial Arts in America and I really enjoyed it. It's less of a Bruce Lee book and more of a local history of the Bay Area martial arts scene of the time and it's full of all kinds of neat local colour. I love how these people's idea of a "street fight" was a showdown behind the local YMCA. :allears:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Never heard of it. According to wikipedia it's one of the styles used in modern wushu forms, so it might be cool. I'm surprised to hear the school spars, so report back once you get to try it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

While you're right, I would love to try this thing I've probably shared here before: https://torontoist.com/2017/08/made-canada-martial-art/

The guy's developed a long-rear end spear that goes SQUEAK when you score a solid thrust. :allears:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's not leverage. It's moment of inertia.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I mean, correct me if I’m wrong but we're talking spears here and spears are not levers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the upside, you also won't need to feel bad for fumbling something that the next guy breezes through. :unsmith: On the downside, you can't cheat by looking at what the others are doing. :smith:

Good luck!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Organising large groups of students into skill tiers makes teaching easier and gives the students an easy way to track their progress. Of course this runs the risk of making practice only about the next belt exam.

The belt colours (and the kyu/dan ranking system) were invented by Jigoro Kano of judo fame so they're only about a hundred years old, which means they're younger than the semiautomatic firearm. Japanese budo schools ended up picking up the rankings as they joined the big martial arts federation active at the time. Then judo and karate got big and everyone started expecting there to be belts, so now even some Chinese martial arts do belts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, I hadn't made the go connection, thanks. Now that I think about it, was Kano even the first one to formalize the dan system in martial arts? I think some proto-kendo schools had been running for a good while before he came along, but I have no idea how they organized their classes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Out of curiousity, how would you like to spar? Small gloves but also head hits?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I get what you're going for but I feel like a heavy bag and someone to film you with a smartphone would get you 90% of the way there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

While Defenestrategy might be correct, that was also your first exam at the place. Not only has nobody in the world failed their first grading, you came in with experience from another martial art to begin with so you already knew how to tell your right foot from your left.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:stare: Were they just incredibly inept or an actual hazard?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh you do actual bouts already by then, that would explain it. We didn't have to fence anyone in the 6th kyu exam and I quit pretty soon after that, so I never got graded on anything difficult. The club culture was good and challenging, though.

Speaking of gradings, I've got a yellow belt exam in trad karate coming up next week. If I don't gently caress it up through arrogance, this will be my fifth yellow or equivalent in a Japanese MA. I just hope I can keep at this longer than the previous four because I'm tired of quitting.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ohhh, that's interesting. Here in Finland I think all major budo schools do federation-approved exams from 6th kyu or thereabouts onwards.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:getin:

https://twitter.com/AMurderOfBears/status/1216619288850661376

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5BOeCqx3Is

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jumping kicks are super fun and y'all should do them btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

RDJ talked about wing chun on the Rogan show. As a former chun dabbler now grappling person it was uh, interesting that he's still super into it even as an MMA fan.
I feel like UFC's made it easier to do traditional martial arts, because it's made it so clear that to do well in an MMA context your game has to be really comprehensive. You have to be at least decent at all the things simultaneously, just being decent at judo or wrestling or boxing alone won't be enough. So if even the Olympic sports won't get you ready for the ~real thing~ why not spend your evenings doing points karate or ancient (read: 19th century) weapons and feeling like a cool ninja instead?

I'm in it for the cool ninja aesthetic and none of you can convince me I'm not cool.