Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Would you mind sharing that?

I've been actively thinking about exactly this sort of scheduling lately. I'm quite interested to see how others have approached it.

I'll post some screenshots of it because it's woefully out of date anyway, and I'd heavily revise it if I brought it back.

The basic idea is to make it so that any new person gets a mix of positions and offense and defense in those positions, and so that any blue belt who finds themselves leading the class because the black belt is sick and the brown belt got called into work will know the listed moves. Everything, up to the time breakdown, is intended as a prompt and a suggestion, not as a clear curriculum.

Looking at it now I'm even seeing in-jokes from our club - "wristbreaker" is our nickname for the overhook trap and roll mount escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Thanks for sharing.

I see you cycle through 4 major positions. What about other positions like turtle, standing, leg entanglements etc?

(I'll probably have more questions later)

This was specifically for a beginner class, and we weren't doing legs in that class at the time. Every class would use a stand-up technique as warmup.

For the rest it's like those positions are variations on the major positions. Turtle can be back. Scarf and north south are side control, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

we have a couple messenger chats and that's it. If I was asked to install an app (by anyone for any reason) I'd just say "nope."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

People who don't use mobile/email outside of work are used to getting those messages slow and late. Just send an email to everyone and the info will work its way through.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't overlook muay thai either. You can train it without getting punched, it's surprisingly good for self-defense applications if you learn grappling basics to go with it, and your attributes (long w/ good cardio) are a good fit.

Basically out of judo/bjj/muay thai and even standard boxing, the best bet is the one of those where you enjoy the classes and the gym environment the most. 80% of the "what's better" among those is about enjoying going to the classes and learning stuff.

Oh and Sambo is less common but if there happens to be Sambo near you it's also very good. Likewise wrestling, but idk how many chill wrestling schools for grown ups there are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I love good Aikido, but it’s really only good for self defense if your opponent has literally no idea what they’re doing or is very drunk. Basically if they grab your wrist or swing wildly you’d be good. This is simply my opinion others will disagree.

Nah I won't disagree with that. As I roll it around in my head I'm starting to maybe think that might be one of the better ways to look at it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to expand a bit on my own point and not to try to convince op more -

The reason I like to recommend Muay Thai or boxing for self defense is not as much for throwing strikes, as it is for defensive footwork and hand positioning.

Also, some of my training partners and I did the simulated knife fight with a marker thing because a few of them are doing community outreach work which can involve confused and violent and scared people, and they wanted to do some rounds so they'd have an idea of how best to handle the situation. By an extremely wide margin the best techniques for surviving against a knife were inside wrist control and frames to pivot out if cornered at close range, and teeping when there was enough space for it to make room to run. Most of the other things we practice as grapplers or fighters ended with a marker in the trap/neck/kidney. Many of the successful rounds still resulted in cuts. Really, the round was decided entirely on whether I could get into range with the knife hand loose.

The drill - I was the attacker - very strongly convinced me that a confident and drilled teep is a top tier self defense technique in the way it lets someone keep range and create an opportunity to exit the fight. A good jab is almost as useful in the same way. It was so disproportionately useful that I feel compelled to mention it whenever self defense comes up.

Of course this depends on what flavor of self defense were talking, but it will apply to most kinds of self defense that include physical engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A horse mat will help