Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Omglosser posted:

Thanks man. Private lessons took place in his basement lol. wtf. typing it all out sounds loving crazy.

It's really hard because she broke up with me almost out of the blue, only a week or so of her being distant. I took her there to build her self esteem up. I still care about her. After I confronted her about this she wants to stay and work it out. It's hosed man. I'll figure it out and find a new gym.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread with my e/n poo poo everyone, I'm frankly surprised by the support and appreciate it a lot.

:glomp: (that's me taking back control, btw)

No problem man. You can do better in every which way. Go be rad at a better gym and find a cooler girl who isn't a drama fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

manyak posted:

Yeah lol

One time i brought a female friend to try BJJ and after a while the guy who taught the womens class (not my instructor but another higher belt) was grooming her and acting weird around me until I was like "Yah thats not my girlfriend lol" so he was free to abuse his position as is his wont. Sexual tension runs high in the spandex pants grabass sport

I'm so glad that my two clubs have adult women in senior club positions. It really helps to smother the sexual harassment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There is a middle ground on gym relationships - adults need to meet people somewhere, after all, and social-recreational activities are one of the main avenues for that - but there certainly shouldn't be a power differential involved. When any relationship begins to develop, if the persons are responsible consenting adults, they should do their best consciously to ensure that it doesn't become gym drama with preferential treatment and clique development and the like. If it's affecting practice, it's bad for everyone. The times I've seen these things work out, there was no in-practice hint of anything until the couple was already at that "going to each others' families' homes for holidays" point.

It's also really really bad and gross if the male club members, especially the senior ones, treat any new women like fresh meat. That just serves to make gyms gross and to drive away female students.

tl;dr take it slow and don't be gross.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So in good news...

My BJJ/MMA club has just signed the lease for its own space! We'll be moving off of the TKD/Boxercize club's couch and into our own three practice room gym with showers and poo poo. It's a bit of a risk because we're in a small market, but it's our head instructor's current lifelong dream, and we figure that we can keep the doors open with some good planning. As of Jan 1 we should be offering a pretty full and varied schedule which even includes wrestling classes! Over Christmas we're running a few work bees to get everything together.

Anyone ever go through this kind of thing with a club before? Any lessons learned?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

How far is the move? If it affects people's travel to the gym, you're gonna lose members. The club needs to promote, promote, promote. Offer good incentives to bring people in. Have the lower level classes designed so people can be more casual and not feel guilty about missing classes.

Only two and a half blocks! We have better parking available now and actually some curb appeal on a reasonably busy street, next to one of the town's nicer pubs :getin:

And I guess they're doing that kind of stuff. They're adding punch-card sales for individual bulk classes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Best advice I've ever had if you're a trained person who got into a street fight, no matter what you did:

"Officer/your honour - I was afraid for my personal safety."

Don't give any other answers or statements beyond that. That you felt that you were acting in self defense is more important than the specifics of who was being aggressive in what ways and what decisions you made in the moment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Novum posted:

My favorite posts are when aikido players jump in and their first few posts are about how chill and normal they are and they do aikido for the meditative aspects and then a day later they're in full on magic pressure points and dim mak territory.

You forgot the part of the story where posters are being kinda snarky to the aikido guy and it develops just to the point where someone might be considering saying "Hey be nice to the aikido guy not all of them are into crazy mystical bullshit everyone is welcome in the thread" and then the aikido guy goes full :freep: thus showing that the snark posters were right all along.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

gently caress Akido, if it doesnt work in MMA it shouldn't be in the thread.

Now someone tell me if I should stop breaking someones arm if they start tapping in a street fight, are people honourable?

What's your opinion on eye gouging and fishhooking, then?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

3 strikes and an appeal to the local council

So when do you get thrown out for doing steroids?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

I'll never fail a test.

You've already confessed to having failed the eye test numerous times.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

boy are my arms tired posted:

i think i posted upthread about looking for a jiujitsu place because i had never tried it and was interested

i am happy to report that i found a jiujitsu place that was not only warm and welcoming to me as a newcomer, but also in the first week threw me through the newbie grinder both in exercises and drills, but also techniques (for example, i had no idea you could use an opponents gi to choke a dude out) and afterwards, signed up

they invited me to watch a competition here in columbus march i think 4th, which i am gonna attend because it sounds awesome

thank you thread for your help!

Don't stop posting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

i wont, but im not sure how interesting my posts about "oh wow i learned this new thing and it was fun" or "my first white belt competition and i got flattened" will be

im extremely excited about the tournament though, i've never seen one before and if its half as exciting as the sparring at the gym is ill be hooked

That poo poo is super interesting. People say that they like my trip reports, but it's hard when the thread is a ghost town. More posts beget more posts.

By the way - did I remember to post that two of my guys took #1 and #2 in their shared weight class for Provincial Judo Championships for Senior Men's Novice? I ended up spending the weekend in the city after the tournament eating weird Asian food, and I can't remember if I got around to reporting.

Anyway, if I didn't, there it is.

I'm thinking about competing in a big judo tournament in early February. I don't think there's a Master's division, though, and Senior Men's Advanced is full of 19-21 year old national team contenders who I'd be happy to engage on the ground but who might literally kill me standing. I'm not sure how much I want to risk injury. I'll 100% be at the tournament to support a 15 year old yellow belt in his first outing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

will do then!

is there someplace that goes in-depth into competitions? scoring, strategies, etc? it was very briefly explained to me but it was mid-class so i feel it'd be good to read up on it further

Scoring varies from event to event. The short version, if it's a points tournament, is that you get points for achieving a position and holding it 3-5 seconds. Strategy is go out and do your thing, but be aggressive.

It should largely make sense once you see a tournament first-hand.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's often a mix of learning/trying new things, revisiting old stuff, reinforcing stuff, and then seeing what comes to you in the moment without "thinking" about it.

Eg UFC this past weekend got me thinking about ezekiel choke / sode guruma. I hadn't played with it in like 6 months, and back then I didn't like it. In that time I've learned things and gotten better at stuff, and upon revisiting it, I've found value in it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bowmore posted:

I was thinking of going to the Wing Chun and Aikido classes in my local area to get a feel for them, any problems with studying two martial arts at once? Anyone have any experience with Wing Chun or Aikido?

No problems studying two at once if you can keep from getting your wires crossed and accept that your progression may be impaired a bit just due to splitting your attention.

The thread isn't particularly fond of Wing Chun and Aikido, I should warn you. I advise you to ignore any subsequent shitposts, and just try them out and see if you enjoy them. But take any "you don't see this from guys who train UFC [sic] because it's too deadly" kind of discourse with a healthy grain of salt, because TMAs like that pretty much only exist now by packaging their conservative techniques in thick layers of excuses and mysticism. Also check the OP section for finding good gyms - avoid contracts, high pressure sales, and other McDojo scams. If they don't offer a free class, just walk away and don't think twice about it.

If they seem like honest people who aren't selling lies and snake oil, and who are just out for cool fun pyjama fight times, then enjoy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Patrovsky posted:

Anyone know of any good resources for BJJ conditioning? Mostly cardio as I'm super out of shape, but supplemental strength stuff too, I guess.

More BJJ until you can handle a few 5 minute rounds easily, and then HIIT if you want more cardio after that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Uh, I've helped out bouncers and avoided being punched by drunk people a fair few times, and I'm fairly certain the training I've been doing over the years improved my ability not only physically but mentally as well.

:staredog: that Willie credits martial arts for his physical improvements.

:staredog: that Willie has improved mentally.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Which is why it comes back to my original decision tree:

1) Is it fun?
2) Is it a scam or a cult?
3) Are the people cool enough to hang with for 2-4h/week?
4) Do you feel as if you're getting your money's worth?

If you answer yes no yes yes, then go.

If you continue with either of them, please keep posting and take any sardonic shitposts with a grain of salt. Aikido guys tend to be very defensive. thin-skinned, and short-lived in this thread, which encourages further sardonic shitposts (obviously). It's actually borderline meme status by this point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Hey I got all my dentistry finished which means I can go back to wearing a stupid custom mouthguard

I'm thinking of having it just say "MOUTH".
or maybe "TEETH".
"MEMES"

suggestions welcome

[blink]"FREE FATHERDOG"[/blink]

quotation marks and bbcode sic

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

And anyone proficient in any of the above (minus fencing) would wreck anyone proficient in Akido 999 out of 1000, which begs the point, what is the point in learning Akido? It doesn't even look as good as some of the other don't work but look pretty martial arts.

Because some poo poo is fun and people like things other than the things other people like. Not everyone signs up for a martial arts class to meet a nurse who will inject them with steroids so that they can do cocaine and wreck drunks at the club.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have a delicates bag I put them in and then the washer, air dry. Stitching is falling apart on both the brands I tried. Need better wraps I think. Or maybe I just hit so loving hard the gear needs to catch up? Probably that actually.

What brand are you buying? I've tried plenty of brands and never had the problems your'e describing. Maybe I had one or two defective pairs, but I just stitched em back together and never thought about em again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have tried meister and everlast, both are coming apart. The stitiching just comes loose on the mesiters which I can sew back in, but in addition to stitching falling out the everlast wraps started tearing near the velcro.

So who makes the best wraps today?

The Everlast wraps I've used are actually poo poo, but that was because they were made of like nylon or some crap and they were too short. I never used them enough to have them break down.

I've used Top Ten, Green Hill, Ringside, and "Kimurawear" wraps which all seemed more or less identical besides the patch on them. Depending on how you wrap your hands, the Rival ones can be pretty nice too, but they have really big logos on them and double-wide velcro strps, which can interfere and get bulky.

Look for a 180" "Mexican"-style wrap, which is an elastic wrap.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Related question for the thread, then -

I want to bulk order some tape for BJJ/Judo to get my cost per roll down below $5, as I use a ton of it (partly because I share with everyone). I've been getting "Athletic" tape from a sporting goods store, which I like because it's a little elastic (thus good for my fingers) as opposed to "Hockey" tape, which is stiff as poo poo, but quite a bit cheaper. Medical tape sucks rear end and slides off as soon as I start to sweat.

Now I know internationally it's hard to give recommendations for sites, but maybe you can help me with the keywords for searching for the right stuff. I've been looking at boxing suppliers today, and their "Corner" and "Gym" tape seems like it's reasonably priced ($3/roll) but I have no idea of it's stiff or flexible. What kind of finger tape do you guys use?

Bonus points if you know of a reasonablly priced type/brand which is already less than 1/2 inch wide so I don't have to spend time cutting it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

good timing - I just ordered this yesterday. I don't need bulk but it's the only one on amazon.ca I found and I figured my gym mates would want to grab some. This one you can order by the roll but they don't ship to Canada and the price point isn't the best.

Thanks - when they arrive can you post a picture of the rolls next to something for scale? If they don't look really tiny I'll order it myself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

Will do, and if you want - PM me your address and I'll ship one or two over to you.

Eeeh don't worry about that. No sense in letting the shipping companies double dip - but I appreciate the offer. If they don't look like mini rolls and if you say they're decent quality after having tried them, I'll just order my own. I'm going to probably resell 2/3 of them to other people at cost anyway - that's what I did when I ordered 40 mouthguards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

Here you go:

Let me know if that's clear enough. It's more flexible than hockey tape but definitely no where near as flimsy as medical tape.

Rad rad rad sold.

Bangkero posted:

Trick question - I would tool the poo poo out of both groups before crushing them under my basic kesa gatame hold down.

Kesa gatame may be basic but it scales well with your skill:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To expand on the "flat turtle" opening, the judo techniques which don't exist or at least which don't get taught much* in BJJ are the explosive newaza types of attacks/escapes. The principle of position before submission doesn't work in judo comp rules because a) you have like 10 seconds to get something going, b) the refs will stand you up even from spiderweb if it looks stalled, and c) if you're on the bottom you have 20 seconds to get out.

So most of the judo ground escapes and turnovers are explosive techniques with deep bridging, which BJJ with its "Cook" and "Control" ethos won't do.

Judo's hands-on-face rules are much stricter, meaning that many BJJ escapes and strangle setups won't work in judo, either.

*The judo textbooks contain most of the footlocks spine cranks and stuff, but they're so illegal in competition that you'll never see them in a class.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone here ever get into judo kata? I've been watching a few this afternoon (because I need to be able to do Nage no Kata's first three sets reasonably well for my next promotion).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

n3rdal3rt posted:

It's been a little while but I was working on Nage no kata before the Judo class I was at dissolved. It was not my favorite part of class. Did you have a specific question about it? (not sure that I could answer it, if I remember correctly there are a couple dudes in the grappling thread with Judo experience)

Oh I don't have a specific question. I was just wondering if anyone was interested enough to talk about it in any way, because the more I practice/watch Judo kata, the more that I find it kinda neat - like participating in a living, demonstrative textbook or something. I'm not going to pretend that it's anything but demonstration in itself, but when I've started to contemplate the finer and exaggerated details of the kata, I've learned new things about the throws which have actually translated back to randori and resisting opponents.

For those unfamiliar with Judo kata, they actually involve a partner and real thumps, and thus there's more to them than the bullshido-style shouty karate kata. The first 9 techniques (18 throws) in this one are what I'm working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qe_JKQjJTA

in before all of you kata nerds point out that this one was film from the rear angle

Nage no Kata is the Kata that needs to be demonstrated at a high level for the first two degrees of a judo black belt - hand, hip, and foot techniques for first degree, and then the two sets of sacrifice techniques for second. Katame no kata - the groundwork kata - is required for third degree, and it shows a bunch of holds and submissions, with entries, setups, and ways of preventing uke from escaping. It includes Judo's only significant leg lock technique (it's basically just the ashi position) :eng101:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

n3rdal3rt posted:

There is definitely stuff to learn from the kata and I think it's neat to have something that standardized in a grappling art. Judo is supposed to be the same everywhere but there is always little differences in the way individual judoka like to setup or finish throws. Ideally the kata are the same everywhere which can't honestly be said for karate kata. Its a fun connection back to the OGs.

Last night I was talking to my instructor about this. He noted that all of the instructional documentation for Katame no Kata says "tori applies the hold; uke attempts three escapes," without specifying any escapes, but that in practice there are three specific escapes that uke is supposed to attempt. That little unwritten bit is the actual "connection back to the OGs"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Seriously? That Roland dude is worse than most aikido guys.
There's nothing realistic about what he's doing.
As for the longsword, they're playing a game of tag.

Sword fighting is basically tag, but with blood. I also tried out that longsword stuff once, and you actually get smoked quite hard more than you think.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"let me bang bro"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crossed and close feet leaves you more vulnerable for double-leg sweeps and body drops.

Wider feet leaves you vulnerable to hip and shoulder techniques, , especially if in a square stance, but a low centre of gravity protects you from them.

Wide wide feet leaves you more vulnerable to single-leg reaps and trips.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tai Chi has legitimate therepeutic functions - controlled, sustained, deliberate movements do wonders to counteract many effects that aging has on bones, joints, and muscles. Apparently it also finds success in treating treating fibromyalgia, which is apparently a condition that doesn't exist but which people nonetheless insist on suffering from.

It's just simply not "martial," and any claims of magic are of course lies. Calling it a bad fighting style is like calling a 2014 Ford Focus an overpriced beer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This past Thursday I almost got into an altercation. I was headed into Walmart to buy a printer and then ahead of me I heard some alarms and a skinny kid came sprinting out of the front door towards me. He was obviously about to pass within arm's reach of me, and I thought about snagging him, but then I realized that I wasn't 100% sure of the situation and I let him go by without clotheslining/tripping him or whatever rather than take the risk of roughing up someone on a misunderstanding. It turned out that he was a thief with a fistfull of ps4 games, and I was a bit disappointed in myself for about 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes of being sour about it I realized that my decision had presented two different outcomes. Had I acted, the best outcome would have been a teenager gets hurt and goes to jail. That I hadn't acted means that Walmart loses $200 or so worth of merchandise. And you know what? gently caress Walmart.

Thanks Aikido! :thumbsup:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I should add that I want Aikido guy to keep participating in the thread. I hate how every 6 months a different Aikido guy posts and gets dogpiled for a few days and disappears.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wait wait wait

Has Aikido yet made an appearance yet on Moat Fights? That should solve all of these questions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

Lobstermobster -

Has Aikido answered the Moat Fights call yet?

LobsterMobster posted:

I'm not sure. I think I've missed the last couple of moat fight events

I know a volleyball player got in on the action on one of em

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangerous & delicious animals

King of England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decades posted:

Question, thread.  Is it fair to say that being in decent running shape is a prerequisite to any kind of physical self defense? Once or twice recently I’d had friends who were curious ask to what extent self defense is a real thing and what someone can actually learn without training martial arts regularly. My stock answer is running, which makes people mad. So I try to expand - that there’s not one simple trick to disable a larger attacker, that martial arts are hard and take serious commitment to use effectively, and that situational awareness  and conflict avoidance are way more important life skills than knowing how to fight. This is also not so much what people want to hear. In terms of actual techniques, I feel the only real thing worth showing people is some tips to break wrist control or possibly a collar grip break. But then I have to clarify that, beyond verbal de-escalation, breaking someone’s grips is only even potentially useful at all insofar as they can outrun their attacker, which if you’re speaking to a not very fit non-cardio doer, is to say that it’s not useful at all and they’re totally hosed no matter what. Is it an oversimplification to break it down to fight or flight like that? Self defense classes seem to be getting more popular lately, but I have no idea what they actually teach. Is the whole concept nonsense? 

I've taught and helped design a few self-defense seminars for teenagers. I go with the fatherdog classic:

Situational Awareness > Deescallation > sprint > grappling+striking > grappling > striking

And fighting usually looks like stand up, clear clinch, create space, run away, in that order, while making shitloads of noise, which includes the note for teenage girls that often shrieking sounds like laughing because girls squeal like that when they're having fun, at least often enough that it can be ambiguous to a listener. The only strikes I teach are elbows and kicks to the junk.