Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Started kendo, kendo rules. It's a really nice feeling being in a huge traditional practice with a bunch of helpful senior students. i don't think it would be helpful in a street fight, but I own running shoes.

Holy loving poo poo a hardwood floor hurts bare feet though.

I think many different martial artists over the last century had the thought, "oh I could totally work jō into this". Kendo has its own, aikido has its own, I know the old schools do too. I don't think I'd ever be interested, I'm just not that likely to run into an angry swordsman blocking my path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Kendo absolutely does rule. If I had a good Aikido school like mine and a Kendo school in the same area I would be really hard-pressed to pick one.

There are multiple nanadan at my dojo and more in town. The choice was easy imo.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

slidebite posted:

Really? What's it made out of? I train almost exclusively on hardwood like a gymnasium floor, so much so I'll go barefoot even if runners are optional.

Gym floor, I'm sure it's a new trainee thing. The posture in kendo is heels up all the time so you're putting a lot of shear force through the skin of your forefoot. If I ever drop a heel it picks up traction immediately and I nearly fall over. Kendo rules.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I got to sit in on a naginata class the other day and I think I'm going to attend there as well. High-dan shiai live in person is electric I can't get enough of this environment.

They've also all been very chill about a visibly trans person at practice and word is most shiai for like tests are gender-combined anyways. I'm not about to be on a serious competitive team anyways, I just want to play with fake swords.

My feet still hurt.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Situationally I will accept "scattering my foes in terror" over "gender affirmation".

A lot of our yudansha have pretty high pitched kiai, I think falsetto range might be normal? I'm not really confident enough yet to squeak out a falsetto MEN MEN MEN but it'd be a power move.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Shinsa (examinations) will be gender-combined, shiai (competitions) are usually segregated, although smaller ones may be combined.

The way the words have been used around me so far are 'shiai' for any full sparring (inclusive of the matches for shinsa, tournament, and training) and 'taikai' denoting a tournament event. Which parts of this understanding are incorrect?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Thank you, that's very helpful. I probably misremembered context for some of the terms.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
IA, any particular reason you rarely see more than a couple Japanese arts (legitimate, qualified, and affiliated) in the same space? Just a matter of scheduling, every instructor and individual club wants particular days?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A low ponytail tied at the base of the skull, generally, or split it into two (so you don't have the knot right on the spine) worked for me. But you'll probably still end up with all sorts of hair fuckery anyway, so be prepared to redo it multiple times per session.

Funny thing, low ponytails seem to also be the preferred method for kendo. A higher ponytail or bun like I usually prefer would get in the way of the helmet fastenings; not that I'm wearing any of the armor yet, just what I see being done.

On that note, I just got the go-ahead to order a uniform! Two days a week of swords for a quarter has been great for me, I really needed it. I always feel like I'm at my limit partway through practice then get a second wind and it feels incredible. I end up smiling the whole day afterwards.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Uniform bummer: turns out standard hakama sizes don't really fit me right. Makes sense, I'm shaped a little different and hakama want to sit in a weird place for my bone structure. So, I ordered some from a custom shop, they took a few weeks to make and ship and I tried 'em on. Turns out the alterations weren't altered enough, plus they messed up the name embroidery, so back they go. Gonna be practicing in sweats for a while longer.

However, four days a week of weapon arts rules. Even in sweats. My posture and core strength are unreal compared to a few months ago and practice in a dojo setting is so engaging it's easy to keep coming back.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Hakama's are highly flexible in terms of fit and it's mostly about experimenting a bit with where you place the straps. If you're on the rounder side, sure, they wont fit as nice, but other than that, there shouldn't be a need to alter them.
Which shop did you order from?

Tozando, the custom ones you pay out the nose for.

The one thing that is not flexible about hakama fit is the inseam starts somewhere, and the way I'm shaped they really badly want to lie at the natural waist. A stock inseam is too high for that. This is partly a trans thing: my waist-to-hip distance is long because my skeleton developed like a guy's, but my hip/waist circumference ratio is quite high because fat has been migrating downwards for years. I have very similar problems with normal pants; I can technically wear them on the hip bone but it looks and feels terrible so it's worth it to me to get them made with a high enough rise.

About the other ongoing conversation, it was very nice to realize the current purpose audible kiai is serving for me is for the instructor to know if I'm breathing correctly. It's very exciting too.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

You sure you can't just wear it tied down lower?. What I mean by flexible, is that while hakamas in general are made for standard Japanese no-lump bodies (male and female), the very nature of their design means that they'll fit just about anybody. Very large waist/hip might mean you'll need a 'wider' size, which you then need to get hemmed up. (which is fairly trivial and any local seamstress can do that).
Beyond that, you shouldn't need any alterations.
If you need to wear it so high that the inseam is getting in the way, I think you're wearing it wrong.

Also a bit late now, but for custom uniforms, I would go here instead:
https://www.seidoshop.com/

Tozando primarily re-sells gear now and have relatively little manufacturing on their own.

Also also, just FYI, I'm 5th dan in kendo and have seen a lot of different body types, etc over the years in various countries, so I'm mostly just trying to make sure you aren't chasing a problem that doesn't need chasing.
Fee; free to take it to PMs if that's more comfortable than talking body types in 'public'.

I've definitely tried wearing it on the hip bone; I own a (stock) pair that's sized correctly for that and it's quite uncomfortable. The underlying bone shelf that (checks profile) I would imagine you wear yours on is there, but it's covered by a ramp of soft tissue that reliably makes clothing ride up towards the natural waist. It also looks very unflattering but that's less important.

I emailed with Seido, e-bogu, Tozando, and a local tailor (to overbuy and hem up) prior to going with Tozando's inhouse shop. The suggestion of Seido is something I'm going to consider for the future, though, since clerical errors have gotten through the Tozando process for me.

I appreciate your experience and attempting to de-complicate this for me. I have been considering for several posts now how to reconcile an instruction to call anyone with your rank 'sensei' with the posting culture of these forums. It's possible that I went directly for the solution I'm used to in normal pants too quickly rather than fully entertaining an easier and satisfactory one, but the money's spent for now. I also appreciate the offer to discuss privately.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'm still getting used to the politics of address so I appreciate knowing explicitly I shouldn't call you that here.

I'm going to try all these points. I've been using a wide kakuobi and it does smooth out lumps very effectively. Learning the knot wasn't too bad; I've been doing iai 1x a week so not really optional. I'm a big fan of the stiff supportive belts; they feel like they were made for someone like me who needs constant posture correction.

I do strongly prefer the garment to terminate at my natural waist, but that's compatible with Paul's method - he wears his much closer to how I prefer it than how I see cis-guy senpai wearing theirs. Thinking back to the pair I'm needing to send back, I definitely tied the backside and kakuobi too high by a couple inches, which threw off the appearance and probably made the fit worse. I do still need the remake; the fit issue is pretty dire and they offered based on the embroidery error alone, but it'll look much better if i take advantage of the himo crossing over that bone shelf on the pelvis.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Hakama update: Tozando fixed it in one working day and shipped it back in a hurry. I think they felt bad. Fits perfect now, I'm really happy with the look.

Dropping the kakuobi (and with it the koshiita a touch) seems to have resolved many smaller issues, too.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Next time I'm in uniform and have access to a full-length mirror I'll get a shot. Takes me like ten fuckin minutes to put on and twenty to fold still.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Huge fan of getting corrected and booming out HAI personally.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Got the go-ahead to buy bogu. Stoked. Kendo a couple times a week has become one of the highlights of my schedule.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Congrats. Just get something functional that will last a couple of years.

There's a group order going, I'll probably just get whatever the sensei running it/measuring me thinks will do the trick.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Morter posted:

Just finished my fourth class of WC. I'm loving it! I have a question, though I guess this may fall into general fitness advice?

As a class, we all warm up and stretch at the start, but once we're done for the day, we line up, get a debriefing, then change and go home. Myself, being essentially new to continuous/daily exercise, have been an achy and out-of-breath mess since starting Tuesday last week. One thing I'm aware of, but never really practiced, is cooldown/wind-down stretches/exercises. This may be part of why i'm extra out of breath/feeling slightly unfocused by the time the class ends.

They don't exactly shoo the class out of the room so I was wondering what would be recommended as ways to wind down and recollect myself, before changing and driving home? Especially for a beginner. I appreciate any input, thanks!

Here's the outline of a kendo practice at my club. I'm a beginner.

arrive, set up dojo, a few practice strikes on your own while everyone gets ready

opening ceremony (bowing in and announcements in seiza)

formal group warmup: light jog, stretching, practice strikes as a group. you've got a sweat going by now

if time permits, footwork drills

standardized drills against a practice partner, starting with 'kirikaeshi'. by the time this is over you're quite warmed up.

[a few other practice segments i couldn't describe well for you go here as the instructor decides per class]

open practice: you wait a while and get short lessons with your seniors or instructors, tailored to you. by the end of this you're supposed to be quite tired

'kirikaeshi' gets called out again, you find a partner and do that drill again as a formal cooldown

closing ceremony (quick lecture and bow-out in seiza)

formally thank + get your review from whoever you practiced with

change out and put the dojo away

hang out for like an hour eating snacks and drinking your favorite beverage. this is the best part

leave

I dunno how typical this is across disciplines but it gets me real warm, then real tired, then nice and cool. Your instructor might be programming in some formal cooldowns that don't feel like it yet, but even if not - why not just do a fundamentals drill extra slow before you leave? Or, people might be hanging out a bit after practice catching their breath and you just don't realize it yet.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

kimbo305 posted:

For the first time in a looong while, I had a new student join who really really had trouble following instruction. Not in any sort of aggressive, I want to do it differently to hurt someone more way, just bad at executing the steps I laid out, that I then broke down into smaller substeps. They would do things out of order and very frequently relapse into mistakes that I tried to correct them on. They seemed reasonably fit and of at least average strength, but even like clenching jaws and grunting through the moves, that muscle effort never made it to the grabbing and pulling and stepping motions I was walking them through.

I hope this doesn't come off as weird self deprecation: this feels like my experience learning. I need significantly more reps and observations to internalize something than my peers typically do. What my instructors tend to do, and I really appreciate this, is focus on one specific thing I'm doing wrong, because more than that and I'm not going to progress on any of them, and they'll be spending a disproportionate amount of time instructing me. I also am beginning to really appreciate how kendo tells beginners to always fall back on the more fundamental technique if they are not 100% ready. Maybe this is tough to apply to empty-hand arts with a relatively large number of basic techniques, though.

So, this is one aspect that's highly emphasized as you get more experienced in kendo. How to be a good motodachi (partner).
Typically, as a more senior person, you're expected to adjust distance, present timing, pressure, etc, to both make them strike at the right time and distance, but also put a decent amount of pressure of them.
It's very important, because if people practice hitting at the wrong distance/timing/etc, that's exactly what they become good at: Doing it wrong.

I've had my men on for like a month and it's been a trip having a new "hardest part" of kendo, even just as a junior rotating motodachi in basics practice. Everybody has different sized arms and legs you really can't fall asleep receiving.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
We just have a website, mailing list, and account with a payment platform. Seems pretty standard for clubs in this art and area.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
A major benefit of using a google group mailing list is that you can interact with it as email rather than dealing with the group interface.

I also neglected to mention we have a series of groupchats but they aren't really front-facing, more like an instructor chat + a social one people get added to at some point.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Apropos of nothing I'd like to give a shout out to having a skincare routine for your feet. My comfort levels on the floor have gone up massively ever since I started gently exfoliating then heavily moisturizing them nightly or more often.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I can handle the calluses and chunks. For me it's when the splits in the dead skin go through to soft sensitive tissue.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Had a sobering reminder of the consequences being discussed here recently. Everyone was fine, but there was potential for something serious.

Was practicing with someone in my age range, several more years of experience and a few ranks above me, but much smaller than me. It was a very good practice session, then I went for a body check after a strike to the head, and this person went down pretty hard five feet away. They got up after a few seconds and continued the session with no harm done, but it really made me stop and think - bringing the right energy to each session is not one-dimensional but is very serious, especially when you're someone who can create an inherently dangerous amount of momentum. I think I fell into the psychological trap of respecting someone's kendo, and wanting to try my hardest, and forgot more important things.

Got another session with someone else in that same size range soon after and made the right adjustment I think. With a big enough size gap, you aren't learning anything by including the body check, so better off just running through, even if you have to sharply change direction. I have plenty of partners my size to work on the body check with.

That, among other things, made me feel very sure that I'd rather compete in the open division for my rank than the dedicated women's division. I have a tournament coming up, and several people have suggested either division would be acceptable, but I don't want the issues of significant size difference on my mind in a tournament environment. I'm sure there are many trans women for whom the math is different - early transitioners or naturally small people for instance.

I also deeply appreciate the choice to call it an open division, and the choice by some tall cis women to enter it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Competition is typically divided into rank categories plus age for the juniors, and then subdivided in some cases by sex. Not weight except implicitly. You're right that the body check is an integral part of kendo, as are size mismatches, but where I hosed up is that the right person to present that aspect in a controlled way is an instructor.

And, to a certain extent, a body check (we call it tai atari, body attack) is not really pretty kendo. I should have brought my prettiest most straightforward game to a skill mismatch one way and size mismatch the other, not attempted to use a full competition menu.

You touch on how issues of trans people in sport are a really present issue right now, and that weighs heavy on my mind. I'm an unfamiliar experience for the art's community and I really do not want to end up on Youtube or as a scary after-practice ghost story as an example of the dangers of letting the terrifying trans participate.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

You also need to learn to moderate the force of your tai-atari. When you start practicing with people less experienced than you, you need to be able to still execute it in a way that doesn't discourage people wanting to practice with you.

I have a few practice partners with the mass, age, physique, and experience to safely tai-atari with me, who notice I don't shy from it then sometimes start drilling hiki-men* with me. I think next time that happens I'm going to try and make the tai-ataris a crisp half speed at least part of the time, to start getting ready for this next step you mention. I could stand to make them more textbook with the right tsuba and blade position anyways.

*non kendo people: the elementary scoring technique that follows tai-atari, a backwards-moving strike to the head

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i've reached the point in kendo where the juniors think i'm cool. pure profit from here on out, until they run circles around me in like two years

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I've been doing a lot of suburi, solo practice swings, lately, and noticing a lot of improvement from them. But somewhere around rep 90 of today's set, I started to wonder: is there an equivalent in the empty-hand striking and grappling arts?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I guess for some reason I assumed you'd usually use a padded target like in boxing. Not really compatible with a soft-contact sparring mode, though!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

kimbo305 posted:

Picture watching a guy whose neck is twice as wide as his head doing this at full speed for 5 minutes straight on the mat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGIGf758t4

And then picture trying to be proud of your workout after that.

This reminds me a lot of some weapon kata. Nihon Kendo Kata 7, of course, and some koryu kata I've only seen a few times. None look like something I'd be happy to practice repetitively though.

We definitely give up practical application when we make a purely standup art, but I think my knees are going to appreciate it over the long run.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
At 3-4 days of swords a week and a few days of running on top, my feet are at their limit for repetitive impact activities. I took a BJJ trial class, I think I'm gonna sneak in a few lessons of that per week. Nothing gets me excited to go sweat like a contact art.

Blaziken386 posted:

since my schedule has been freed up recently, i was looking around to see what kinds of classes were available, preferably something not MMA, because I need to exercise and sparring is actually enjoyable, and i found two notable highlights

1: a place really close to my commute with flexible hours and lots of good reviews, which, unfortunately, has since mostly closed down due to covid
2: a place which looked okay but then had a section on the website dedicated to this, and uh,

i am pretty sure this place is a cult of some kind!

Looks like a judo guy set up his own "koryu" organization in the 1980s. I can't say I'd be interested.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I imagine the aesthetics of your art are going to be a little different than kendo, but we like wood or wood-product paneling on the walls. Where I practice, that's sheets of plain MDF (I think) tacked up with a stain over it.

I wouldn't want to get shoved or fall into bricks, is what I'm saying. Basketball wall padding might also be nice if "flat brown" is not in fashion for your club. Probably more fire-resistant, too.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

slidebite posted:

LOL, name's always been the same my man, but maybe it's time to rename my self to "foot face" or something

Wood is kinda nice and would give more options for colors/finishing.

The linked thing isn't really brick, its just a recycled wood based (I'm thinking like MDF?) panel with a faux brick look.

We certainly do the odd throw, but nothing remotely like the ground based/rolling arts and never in open/free sparring. Whenever we throw it's planned and acknowledged, so ending up upside down into the wall should never happen... but crashing into it might from upright sparring or drills and losing balance. We've patched the drywall from accidents a few times.

oh that makes sense. yeah if it was me i'd be paneling in plain MDF stained club colors or my favorite colors, just something that can wear down and be refinished periodically without looking broken per se, and not dent on impact like drywall. i wish there were more prefinished options that i had faith would wear down attractively.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

A few years ago at the Kuo Shu in MD I was watching the Lei Tai (full contact raised platform fighting). This guy does a textbook roundhouse kick and catches the other guy right in the knockout point on his jaw and the person who got kicked was out on his feet, full on fencing response. He slammed backwards, smashing his head (fortunately they wear headgear) and the medical team just stood there, watching. It took almost 20-30 seconds for them to move after he slammed on the ground.

I believe that was the same year my old Wing Chun Sifu told me the story about the Grandmaster who put the event together. A few years into the tournament’s life the Boxing Commission showed up, told GM he’s in violation, and that if he didn’t pay them back pay plus interest the tournament would be shuttered, indefinitely. Fortunately he had his checkbook.

lei tai is nuts man. i get scared seeing people play rough on hard gym floors. but with elevation???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

That same tourney I saw two heavyweight women fighting. Unfortunately, one was heavy because she was tall and built and the other was short and obese. When the fight started the tall woman bull-rushed the other woman and knocked her clean off the platform. She did this two more times automatically making her the victor. I am not exaggerating when I say not a single attack was actually thrown.

mma is beautiful. doesn't matter how good you strike if you can't deal with a takedown.