Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I bet the coaches at your gym can help. We have a supply of syringes, sterilization stuff, and several eager amateur surgeons who are happy to drain crunched ears.

Whether or not this is a good idea I can't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Cephas posted:

Wait is $75/month supposed to be high for judo? The cheapest martial arts I've seen offered have been $80/month. What's the typical going price for judo if not $75+?

Most of the judo clubs I've worked out with are university-associated and cost nothing or ~$20/year.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What about the Gerbi choke/Peruvian necktie?

Edit: Gerbi, not Gerbil

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It's a position that's easy to defend long enough for a judo referee to stand us both up.

Also if they're higher level than you they're probably trying to work from the worst position that isn't an outright pin.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've always used a mental 'heaviness' sliding scale based on my opponents skill (for sparring.) If they are behind me in skill I'll try not to apply too much pressure, even if they're heavier than me. If they're significantly better than me you bet I'm going to utilize as much pressure and weight as I possibly can.

As a solid middle weight I want to get better against guys that are heavier/stronger than me and are trying to use every advantage they've got, but I'd prefer to do it against opponents I actually have a chance at countering.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Pocket Billiards posted:

Really disappointed with mine. It's too flexible and I can't build up enough pressure when trying to do my shoulders.

I've got this one and its definitely stiff enough for shoulder and back pressure.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
This is a long shot but does anybody know anything about judo or bjj clubs in Reykjavik? Will be traveling there and think it'd be neat to practice with the locals. Unfortunately online information seems a little sparse.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Rinar posted:

You can check out Mjölnir for bjj, when I used to go they had open mats on saturdays and classes pretty much every day. Send them an email and see what they can do for you, the front office is really accommodating for people visiting. I'd say it's your best bet as they're used to international visitors, they're even hosting a few pro fighters that are fighting on upcoming Invicta and UFC cards. Mjölnir is the most successful bjj school in Iceland, usually dominating local tournaments and sending competitors to competitions abroad.

The judo scene in Iceland is decent. The Reykjavík judo club has an active facebook site, you can send them a message and see what they can do for you.

If you're driving you could also go to VBC in Kópavogur, I have a few friends that attend there and only have good things to say about it.

This is awesome info, thank you, and also the guy whose username is numbers.

^^ Guy above, brutal windpipe chokes can definitely damage the cartilage in the throat or even fracture the free-floating hyoid bone (a common sign of murder by strangulation.)

I don't think there's much you can do, it's going to hurt for a couple days. Ibuprofen might help, as may ice packs applied to the throat.

Preventing these isn't always possible if your partner lacks restraint. This type of injury is why I tap early to chokes.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Nierbo posted:

Think of it as you can go and if you don't enjoy it that you can just leave early and go home or go lift weights instead. But youll find after the warmup youll almost always decide to stay.

That's what I tell myself when I'm not feeling like practice. Just get through the door. I don't have to stay (though I always do), I just have to get there. I also remind myself that I've often regretted skipping practice but never regretted showing up.

Consider your goals as well. Do you come to practice to have a good time or to get better at your respective martial art? You can't count on having fun but for every practice you can count on being better at the end than you were at the beginning.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I just go to the local TJ Maxx or Marshalls. They've got tons of Nike/underarmor type shirts for ~$10.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Ippon seoi nage, osoto gari, kata guruma (fireman's), ouchi/kouchi, hip throws or uchi mata off a collar tie or whizzer. Sumi gaeshi off kimura or (arm-in) guillotine grip. Foot sweeps. Most throws will work with modified grips.

Personal favorites are osoto, fireman's and uchi mata. I like hitting all three off a whizzer.

Edit of course beaten by others.

ihop fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 6, 2017

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My lovely amateur guess is that he doesn't want his bjj takedowns affecting his judo throws in a negative way. When I do judo standup, I want to put my opponent flat on their back with not much regard for what happens afterwards. Often, this means hitting my throws with maximum speed and power, with a chance that I'll overthrow him and end up rolling over him. In judo I've still won the match, in BJJ I've just given my opponent at least two points and probably top position. Sure I could temper my judo takedowns when doing BJJ, but if I was competing at the highest level of both sports this is one area I'd really try not to mix.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I picked up an Adidas champion bjj gi and am quite happy with both price and quality. I like that it has minimal branding, and the fit is nice. I think it also comes with a 10 year warranty against ripping but who knows if and how they'd honor it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Spats are always the answer.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Out of curiosity, in a school that only teaches Judo and no Jiu Jitsu, how much concentration, or time spent, is there on Newaza?

This varies greatly from club to club. Since you can win a judo match from the feet, and since you'll spend most of your match time on your feet, some clubs practice very little newaza. Like <10% of class time spent on the ground. Most clubs I've trained at are about 60/40 on the feet.

That said, I got my judo black belt right when bjj was starting to catch on. 4 or 5 years later when I started bjj I was getting schooled by most blue belts. Now that I'm a pretty experienced blue belt myself I can handily beat most judo black belts on the ground, even if they put me there.

Feels good.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If I'm shopping for wrestling shoes, should I go snug like snowboard boots or loose like running shoes? Anything to look for/avoid in any particular model?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They should just be, you know, comfortable. I guess you want them relatively snug? But really they should just fit properly.

Are you buying wrestling shoes for actual wrestling? If you're getting them for another grappling sport...don't.

Wrestling class. It's probably my terrible technique but the shots are tearing up the tops of my feet and toes. Plus I figure they'll help inhibit my inclination to use leg sweeps and focus on shooting.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I, for one, welcome the new American Willie dee

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Serious anecdotal answer: I cross train with periods of running or strength training. Strength training feels good and maybe helps with injury prevention but for me personally running is way more beneficial for standing/sitting pajama wrestling.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
One of my old judo coaches had dual nipple rings and refused to wear any sort of rash guard. Always made me nervous sparring with him.

I've seen people tape up various facial piercings but it seems like it'd be a pain.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What if you dumped a bucket of difficult-to-remove, conspicuously colored/smelling liquid all over them?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Followed by the feeling that you just woke up from a loving amazing 3 hour nap.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I recall reading, possibly on these forums, that getting hit in the liver makes the receiver instantly feel like they've been lethally poisoned.

That article about the physiological reaction is interesting. I wonder why we evolved that specific response.

In emergency medicine, if you're trying to start an IV on someone's external jugular you can press on the liver to make the vein stand out.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
All the worst judo injuries I've seen have occurred doing not-judo.

Also if I skipped practice because something hurt I'd still be a white belt.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

JaySB posted:

I have one of these:

https://www.sisuguard.com

As far as breathing goes it's the most comfortable/least restrictive one I've tried. Still never been in the position to bite or be bit though.

I use these as well, they're super low profile so breathing/drinking/talking is hardly affected. I wouldn't wear one for punchsports but for general grappling they're great.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've got both the aero and the max. I personally wear the max most of the time, for both judo and bjj. I'm sure it's just in my head, but the nextgen aero is SO low profile that I don't feel as safe wearing it. I also felt the nextgen was more difficult to mold, even compared to the"lastgen" aeros. They're cheap enough to order both to try out.

Word of advice though, avoid the white color. Inevitably they get dingy and you just look like someone with nasty hosed up teeth.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Going back to the Sisu talk, be careful not to leave them in a hot car. Managed to melt all 3 of mine today.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Isn't there some mid level mma fighter who ended up amputating that same toe because he couldn't wait for it to heal?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
have you picked out your outfit yet?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Bob human being is going to fit in here just fine

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

OscarDiggs posted:

Is this an appropriate place to ask for advice on improvement?

Two big things I noticed on my first Judo session was firstly, I was either doing the hand movements or doing the leg movements, but not both at the same time, and secondly, I was taught and managed to practice two different throws, and one of them was a leg sweep throw. I could only manage to keep myself from falling over half the time when performing it; I just don't have the balance for it.

So, I can't practice my falls since I don't have a crash mat, and I really can't pratice any throws since, not only have I only done it once so I'd likely do it incorrectly unsupervised, there's also no one to practice with. Is there, however, ways or means for me to practice my coordination and balance?

Keep working and temper your expectations. The movements of judo are complex and unfamiliar. Add in a resisting opponent and they might even seem impossible. You've got to build muscle memory and the only way to do it is repetition. I always tell new students to do a technique a thousand times and they'll be "ok" at it.

You can start building up those repetitions with solo uchikomi using resistance bands. I'm sure there's instructions on YouTube, but basically secure one end of the band to a doorknob or tree or post or something. Hold the other end in your left hand, or both hands, and practice your (mainly front-throw) entries. The band does a decent job mimicking the feel of a resisting opponent. You can up the realism by putting a pair of shoes where your opponents feet would be, then work on placing your feet relative to them.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

slidebite posted:

Question about mouth-guards - since it's not really the kind of thing you can try out ahead of time is there any kind of a consensus on best kind/type/brand?

I gag on bulky mouth guards but have used SISUs for years with no issues.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm guessing straight arm lock, like when they try to straighten out of the kimura.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I too measure my martial prowess by an arbitrary arcade machine. How I fair against other humans is irrelevant.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
There are a lot of judo clubs that are much further towards the hobbyist/recreational end of the spectrum. It's unfortunate, in my opinion at least, because I feel like a bjj club can have recreational players sparring with competitive players and both can get something out of it. If you have competitive judo players sparring with recreational players one of them is going to stop showing up. Eventually you end up with a fairly homogeneous club with little appeal to one of those groups.

It's also been my experience that many judo clubs trend towards recreational over time and it's very hard to drag them back the other way.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Xguard86 posted:

Is that due to the nature of judo? Harder on the body when you're thrown or requires everyone to be close to the same fitness? I've heard kinda similar stuff from judo guys so def seems like a thing.

but bjj and judo used to be almost the same thing, I wonder if judo rule changes have had some unintended effects.

I don't really know. I have a few theories based on the small number of clubs I've trained at long term, and the slightly larger number of clubs I'm loosely associated with. I think it's a bit of a chicken/egg thing, and I'm not sure which is the cause and the effect, but really it comes down to numbers and retention.

My first club was somewhat of a judo oasis, lots of dedicated coaching talent in an area that shouldn't have it. This also meant lots of classes offered. When I started I had the opportunity to attend 2 beginner classes and one advanced class every week day, with additional advanced classes on the weekends. The beginner classes were of course mostly beginners, but we also had the olds/frails/hobbyists there, as well as a few brown/black belts who wanted to work fundamentals. The advanced class was 2 hours of pain. My current club, and most clubs I'm involved with now, offer maybe 3 practices a week, with only one type of class. The first club was HIGHLY competitive in the advanced classes, and the practices were quite large (for judo in America.). There was a constant churn of newly-promoted brown/black belts. My current club is decidedly more hobbyist. In the 8 years I've been here we've promoted a bunch of yellow/orange/green/blues, maybe 6 or 7 brown belts, ZERO black belts. Most of our practices are majority beginners, a few super out of shape guys, and a couple geriatrics. At almost 40 I'm the youngest black belt at my current UNIVERSITY club, which is shameful.

I think the real culprit is offering only 1 type of class. That means you're going to have total beginners, not-especially-athletic hobbyists, and competitive killers in the same practice. Most judo clubs are so desperate for members they'll do anything to avoid driving new people and hobbyists off. For an advanced player this means pulling back on throws, going easy (REALLY EASY) during sparring, and generally avoiding doing things that might injure or even intimidate new folks. I've been chastised by the head coach at my current club for sparring too hard with another black belt, because it was the beginning of the semester and he thought we were scaring the new guys. There's always going to be more beginners and hobbyists, so that's who the classes will cater to.

This is no fun for advanced/competitive players. We've had a few high level players come through over the years, they almost always disappear after a couple classes and I can't blame them. I think I only stick around out of pride and a sense of obligation to give back to a sport that's given me so much.

I think the reason it's so hard to go back the other way is that to do so you first need a core number of relatively advanced players, you need seperate practices where they can try to kill each other. Which, if you don't already have that core, means you need to recruit and retain a bunch of players through late brown/black, so you have the numbers to justify the space and extra practices. But if the only way to retain players is by making sure not to intimidate/injure them, will you ever get enough advanced players or will they start experiencing the same frustrations I do and go looking elsewhere?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah judo has a very long and gradual learning curve, and everyone else is on it with you, which makes it hard to gauge progress. I probably didn't hit a proper osoto until close to a year in, and not consistently until MUCH later.

One thing that may help is, as someone else mentioned, pick a couple techniques you like and try to spend any free time working on those. Until you're at least a black belt class time should be split between learning a great variety of techniques, so you at least possess the knowledge, and developing a few techniques that you decided to focus on. The preferred techniques can and will change over time, but try to stick with one or two for at least 6 months. If your class allows undirected practice (like uchikomi or throwing practice of choice) make sure to practice the throws you want to be good at, not necessarily the throw of the day. When sparring make sure to attempt your preferred techniques at least once or twice per round, even if they fail miserably.

Along those lines, I found it very useful to develop counterpart throws where the defense against one makes uke more vulnerable to the other. Seoi nage/kouchi gari, uchi mata/ouchi gari, osoto/sasae. Try to make the initial entry into either technique look as similar as possible, that way uke has to make a defense decision (lean forward or lean backwards) before he/she has figured out what throw is coming.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Something to keep in mind too Travic: When I spar with lower rank players, I can feel when their entries are sloppy or lack control. Usually because they're moving too fast or trying to use too much muscle. I can tell that if I allow them to throw me at that moment, it's going to be "uncomfortable" at least. So I defend their entries. The harder and faster they come in, the less control they usually have, and out of self-preservation I'll defend or counter the throw. Especially on big throws. If they work a slower smoother entry, even if I see it coming, I can tell they're in control and I'll give them the throw.

If you can, try to find one of the upper belts who seems to have a good attitude. Ask him to spar with you, and ask him if he'll let you be selfish and work on your throws, lightly defending or counterattacking, but not directly attacking you. Spar with him at about half normal speed and effort. If he doesn't let you throw him 2 or 3 times during the round, find someone who will. As you get more comfortable, the pace will increase naturally, and sooner or later you'll be going full speed. This is something I'm happy to do with new players, or players of any skill really, and I feel it really helps bridge the gap between drilling and full resistance sparring. It lets the beginners start to feel the mechanics of a throw as it's supposed to work, and the sparring becomes more relaxed and is generally more fun and less painful I think.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Combo post!

kimbo305 posted:

The overall Japanese tradition vibe is pretty low. We do the ending ceremony in Japanese, but no one's bothered to tell us what any of it means.

In order to make more complete judoka, here's what the words of the closing ceremony at my first, very traditional club meant:

"Keotsuke" (stand at attention)
"seiza" (make the kneeling position, there's actually a specific way to arrive at this position. It's not super important, but the origin of the motions is kind of neat.)
"mokuso" (close your eyes, meditate on the practice, what you've learned and worked on.)
"yame" (unclose your eyes, forget all that poo poo)

Followed by three bows:

"otagai-ni rei" (thanks and hespect to everyone)
"sensei-ni rei" (thanks teachers)
"shomen-ni rei" (face the front, or wherever Jigoro Kano's picture is, and give thanks to the founder(s) of judo)

Beginning of class had the same stuff but reverse the order of the three bows.

Most clubs just do Keotsuke-rei, stand at attention and bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If you want to clinch up I think you should go for it.

Judo players don't like it when people clinch up. They act kinda like it's crude to forgo the gi and directly grab hold of someone. But really it's just because it's scary. NOBODY wants to be there. Big throws happen when you lift people. If they've done judo long enough they remember the time the D-1 wrestler showed up and wrecked everybody's poo poo.

But you're still using the same judo principles to throw from the clinch. Unless you're literally just picking them up you've still got to move them off balance. You still have to move into position and apply whatever finishing motion.

Being comfortable in the clinch is a huge physical and psychological advantage, gi or no-gi. It's an easy standing position to force. If it's gi you can grab a belt grip and now you have direct control on your opponents center of gravity. It becomes much easier to defend shots if you're too old/slow/lazy to sprawl. Your opponent probably doesn't want to be there and will be focusing on escaping the clinch, not so much on attacking or defending. If your opponent doesn't do stand-up they're going to be terrified and/or exhausted and will likely try to pull the shittiest guard and only the rules of the sport and your own kindness will keep them from becoming a crater.