Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Kashuno posted:

I'm intrigued by learning some martial arts now that I've started losing weight and am a bit more healthy. One thing I'm worried about is that I have a pretty bad knee from being hit by a car when I was a teenager. Are there any specific martial arts I should avoid if my knee isn't particularly great?

What are you looking for in a martial art?

Judo isn't always smooth on your knees but it's not that bad either. A lot of people with messed up knees do judo and they don't seem to have problems, you'll probably just avoid doing certain throws or do them only on one side. My knees can act up and I never had problem with judo, but your mileage may vary.

BJJ can be quite hard on your knees since you're on the ground all the time and there's a lot of kneeling/moving while kneeling/low stances and also some leg locks which might scare you if you have a weak knee.

I'm not sure how kicking might affect you so if you're more attracted to striking may be something like boxing would be best. I'd definitely avoid anything like muay thai where you may get kicked in the knee if you fail at checking a kick

Also avoid anything with flashy/jumpy kicks like some forms of kung fu.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Neeber posted:

My gym is a former TLI-affiliate with the scammiest most mcdojo looking website (think random bold underlines, italics, yellow highlights) ever but the owner's a legit BJJ black belt under Fabio Holanda and our competition team brings back a fair number of medals every competition. I just show people the facebook page instead of the website whenever someone seems interested in hugging their fellow man.

Good gyms tend to have the ugliest website though so it'S a good sign. A very web 2.0 polished website always makes me feel like that is a mcojo. Ugly website with spinning gifs? Trustworthy!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TheCardhouse posted:

Just went to my first BJJ class ever and it was pretty different from what I was expecting after reading a decent amount about others' first experiences. The gym was way more packed than I expected, there must have been 50+ people there.

They had a group broken out just for newbies with about 12 of us in it. I was not alone in being brand new, two other people I talked with also started just this week and I got the impression that everyone was in their first month or two. What we did was drill I think 5 different moves instructed by a couple blue belts. 1 from guard and 4 from mounted. Mounted stuff was about how to maintain mounted position plus 3 different submissions (americana, armlock and some blood choke using their arm and your bicep) that could be used if the bottom person tried to bench press the top person off.

The weird part was I ended up paired up with someone going through their second class so both of us were basically going through the drills extremely slowly trying our best to copy what they showed but still getting it wrong. We did often have one or another of the blue belts talking us through it as we were drilling it so that helped, but it still felt bizarre drilling against someone else who was just as clueless as me. I guess the most surprising part of it was that when it was over after an hour(all we did was those drills) I had barely broken a sweat because of how slowly both of us were going just to try to figure out the motions.

It wasn't bad but I really wasn't blown away excited by it like a lot of people are after their first lessons and like I expected/hoped to be.

different school do it differently. I'm personally very favourable to having newbies roll against experimented dudes the very first day just so they get to feel just how much they don't know how this work. I also believe it's good to drill with more experimented people often. But I know a lot of school split newbies and others completely until the newbies have the basics which doesn't seem ideal to me, but it still works.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 15, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Omglosser posted:

Tread carefully, many normal people just like you have landed a successful ippon seoi nage in randori and have become addicted to judo.

Yep. Now is the time to stop if you don't want to become a weirdo that pays to become better at hugging people and then thrusting his hips at them while wearing white pajamas for hours every week.

Congrats on your first class. Judo is on of the best thing that ever happened to me, I hope you enjoy it as much as most people in this thread. Getting experienced people to fall "for real" in randori is going to take some time, but in your typical randori people are supposed to accept the fall when your technique is good and people take risk that you can capitalize on, etc. so you'll get plenty of throws.

And newaza is the best because like you noticed, even a newbie can sometime get something "legit". May be the guy wasn't going 100% until then, but at some point when you're caught in a bad spot even someone inexperienced can give you a bit of a challenge if newaza isn't your strongest point (which is the case of the vast majority of judo guys).

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 16, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

DarthJeebus posted:

I am seriously considering taking some MA classes, and a big reason is because they scare me shitless, and I want to learn discipline in the face of adversity. I feel the need to be pushed far outside my comfort zone and I can't think of a better or more direct way to do it. Thinking about BJJ classes in my area because I don't want to get punched in the face intentionally. Good enough reasoning? I am a skinny fat goony goon and I feel embarrassed even thinking about it.

That'S a great reason to do a MA. Judo did WONDERS for my confidence, general attitude in life, social skills and resiliance to failure.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Smoking Crow posted:

muay thai good, krav and wing bad

This. Krav Maga is mostly bullshit.

Other than what the original post in this thread says about self defense, if you want an effective martial art stick with competitive martial arts like Wrestling, BJJ, Judo, Muay thai, Boxing, kick boxing and similar. Krav Maga might be something you'll enjoy, but from my experience Krav classes are generaly a joke.

Also, it's a military combative kind of things which means that even if it's thought well (it generaly isn't) it will still suck because soldiers don't need to know much about hand to hand combat it's just rudimentary stuff so they don't loose their poo poo on the off chance a situation where they have to fight without their weapon comes up. A lot of people have the misconception that police officers and military somehow have "the best martial arts" while the reality of it is : these guys use weapons/tools, they only need basic knowledge of hand to hand fighting.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 20, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Wrageowrapper posted:

Pretty sure that is Tomoe Nage. I was taught to only use it when you are completely knackered and have nothing else but its just so much fun.

It's a legit good attack, but you have to know when to use it. It's a really great newbie crusher since they tend to push on you a lot so they go flying easy. I think a lot of coach tell people to stay away because in competition if the other guy looks like he kind of may be tried to do foot sweep and dodged your tomoe he might get ippon since you fell on your back, so it's kind of risky in comp. I still used it quite a few time to sort of pull guard in judo when I felt overwhelmed standing up and it led to a few victories, but it's called a sacrifice throw for a reason.

Neon Belly posted:

Isn't it considered not best practice to shower before rolling, unless necessary? I was under the impression that the skin already has some good bacteria set up as a first line of microbial defense, but showering can mess up that balance for long enough that immediately rolling after can be (marginally more) risky.

I think people complicate stuff for no reason. Do you smell bad? No? Then put some fresh Deodorant, brush your teeth, clip your nails and wear a clean gi/rolling clothes.

If you do smell bad, add a shower to that.

Entenzahn posted:

Now that I'm about to start boxing I'm actually getting a bit worried - how much damage can the sport do to your brain? If I'm anxious about this sort of thing I should probably leave out sparring, but is boxing without sparring still useful?

I don't do boxing mostly because I'm scared of brain damage. I don't think getting hit in the head regularly can be good, but if you use head protection and the sparring is "light" as in people are pulling their punches a bit I don't think it should do much. But personally I'd never feel comfortable getting punched in the face multiple times a week with any sort of real power. I don't know how scientifically "correct" that worry is, but I wouldn't take chances.

Any martial art without sparring is going to be fun and get you fit, but you should not expect to be able to use the techniques you learned against a resisting opponent. I mean if you ever get in a one on one fight without weapons being fit, being able to throw a strong punch and be able to dodge stuff somewhat is certainly not going to hurt, but I'd bet my money on a guy who has been sparring for a year over someone who's been training for 10 without sparring.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Surprise T Rex posted:

To be honest I'm way off being able to try that yet.

I'm struggling to do O Soto Gari with any level of consistency after only a few classes, though I'm not too frustrated, I can see that I'll get into the swing of it all eventually.

give yourself time. My O Soto still sucks and I've been doing this for something like 8-9 years by now.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

willie_dee posted:

Bjj and wrestling guys, are toes getting wrecked from rolling a thing? Both my big toes are kinda bruised from 2 weeks ago and now one of my little toes is black and swollen to twice it's size. Theyn ever hurt at the time but then when I get home I notice them.

It's a thing, mostly with "cheaper" softer mats. Like puzzle mat and stuff that are super grippy. Zebra mat and judo tatami help that a whole lot.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have a new favourite turnover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0JVGcIYv8

This thing is dope as hell. Been flipping guys much heavier than me so easily. Worst case I force some hands to move away from their lapels so I can try and go for my favourite choke of all the time, the good old clock choke.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

JaySB posted:

No one has tried to invert their guard or just roll on the arm you threw across their body?

Inverting the guard is very rarely gonna happen in judo and if it did I'd be quite happy because that give me a chance to try and pass their guard/avoid mate. People stalling by being flat on their stomach and just hoping for mate is very very common since you have a few seconds to turn them over or else you're stood up. It's relatively easy to defend most turnovers for long enough to be stood up.

I don't see how they could roll on the arm? When I'm putting it across their body I am in a very strong position perpendicular to them if they they try to roll my way they aren'T going to accomplish anything. If they roll the other way then they give me side control. Once you catch the skirt of the judogi there is no way they will roll on your arm either. It puts a poo poo ton of pressure on them when you walk around them and once again I don't think people could just roll you over.

Anyway, try it to see if it works and I'd be happy to know if people found glaring weaknesses to it. I'll the people at my club so I can use it on people who know how to defend it and see if I can still make it work. Obviously if you do BJJ then someone being flat on their stomach is like a wrapped giftbox so there would be no incentive on just flipping them over

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 19, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Does that mean you can use two hands to strip a grip now?

I think it's ok. You can even use pistol grip and fingers in the sleeve now.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CommonShore posted:

It's often a mix of learning/trying new things, revisiting old stuff, reinforcing stuff, and then seeing what comes to you in the moment without "thinking" about it.

Eg UFC this past weekend got me thinking about ezekiel choke / sode guruma. I hadn't played with it in like 6 months, and back then I didn't like it. In that time I've learned things and gotten better at stuff, and upon revisiting it, I've found value in it.

That's one of the things I love with grappling. There are so many moves I sort of dismissed when I was newer and some day I relearned them and started loving them and other moves I relied upon and rarely use anymore. It's really nice to see your game evolve and change over time.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Subyng posted:

Any Toronto/Canada goons know how much it costs here to train Judo?

One of the nice things about judo is that it's cheap as far as MAs classes go.

I'm in Canada (not Toronto) and for a whole year (well 29 weeks since that club closes for the summer) my club is 185$ for 1 time a week, 255$ for twice a week and 315$ for 3 times a week.

I'd expect prices to be around that for the cheapest clubs in Toronto

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
2v2 BJJ is such a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeAebAF8B7o&t=279s

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
People said it a lot but yeah there is no "getting in shape for martial arts" prior to doing it. Especially if you are in terrible shape right now. The kind of cardio/muscles required for fighting is so different than what you would get from going to the gym, running, etc. that even if you were dedicated and trained 4 times a week to "get in shape for martial arts" you would still have poo poo fighting cardio when compared to someone who dedicated half that time to grappling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

redgubbinz posted:

What if I'm attacked by an ambulatory bike frame on steroids?

Thanks for the advice, I thought that fee was a little high given what basic gym memberships and personal trainers tend to go for. Most places around here seem to offer a free session or two, might as well give em a try.

100$ a month sounds really expensive for Aikido, unless you go to 6-7 classes a week which is not a common thing in AIkido.

Of course you might live somewhere crazy where everything is stupidly expensive I dont know.

But I did aikido for a little bit and it was fun. I much prefer judo, but I can see the appeal of Aikido, just don't think you're learning something that would be effective if you were to get in a fight (not that it really matters for most people). It's fun and very relaxed. Plus you get to do flips and stuff. You also won't really get in shape doing Aikido.

If you don't mind the pain and getting thrown unwillingly judo is amazing.

BJJ is also really nice and kind of easier on your body since throws seems to be the hardest thing on people in grappling.

If you main goal is to get fit and you wanted to do a martial arts I'd probably go with boxing, kick boxing, muay thai or something like that.