Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
I've been doing capoeira for two years and can answer questions about being really bad at Sexy Dance Fighting, in case anyone wants a discipline where you aren't supposed to hit your target and have to play musical instruments to advance in rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Bumping this thread since it's been over a week.

What's everyone working on - I'm working on double underhooks from butterfly

Also please share any funny injuries

Martelo de chão, which has the benefit of everyone in my group being bad at, and trying to recover confidence after a head injury three months ago. Got a rabo de arraia to the head; broke my nose, got a concussion, suddenly worse in the roda than I was before.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Does stuff like that happen often in capoeira?

Ideally, no. There are, as mentioned before, games and styles where you can do full contact, and of course when you're playing with a regular group in an informal game you can do a lot more silly poo poo than you can when it's a performance or a mixed group. But for the most part, the object is not to connect. In this case, my opponent went for a kick that's normally done straight up, but went out. I saw her go for the kick and dodged as though it would be coming from above. She's about the same height as I am, so her heel with her leg fully extended is roughly the height of my eyebrows. We both misjudged distance and time and CLUNK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWpoxVIhd_E

The kick in question

While I should have looked where I was dodging--I am really bad at reading the game yet--the burden is generally on the higher level player (her) to go easier on the lower level (me). So while I'm still shaky, she is too, fearing she'll injure someone else. It's a weird lesson to learn.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Next week is my group's batizado, the ceremony where we get promoted in rank and then have a big party, but only after a week-long festival of master classes and guest workshops. Anyone here interested in a play by play?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

quidditch it and quit it posted:

If you go to learn what, for the sake of this analogy, is a fighting art, and it wouldn't help you at all in a fight, and would in fact probably get you beaten up if you tried it, then you have accidentally learned dancing. Dancing is cool, and will get you fit whilst having fun, but there are better dance styles than Aikido.

You got something against dance fighting?