Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I wrestled in middle school, grew up with brothers and loosely followed UFC in the early 2000’s. When I first went to the local MMA gym it was an open mat nogi day. A white belt explained the rules to me and said let’s roll. I snapped him down, circled around took his back and RNCed him. I think he was very surprised. I can’t say I went for the first month without rapping anyone, but from what people tell me it’s pretty normal.

Anyway it’s a tough sport, and time spent is the only way to get better. Some people do learn faster than others, and being in shape certainly helps you spend more time on the mats. It’s kind of insane, to think that you should be winning without putting in more time than others, unless you are a fast learning freak, super fit or a genetic freak.

I’ve always loved nogi, don’t really care for gi BJJ though. I will say that my enthusiasm suffers when I don’t have a training partner to set my sights on, as a achievable goal to beat, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do you have any idea why no one wants to roll with you? Are you hurting people? Do you smell? Are you a spaz? Those are probably the most common ones.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I thought you usually jerk then clean

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I too like to beat up white belts and humble brag on the internet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

According to a buddy of mine who was a high level competitor back in the day, the double leg was banned in Judo because some people didn’t like the way it looked.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

It really sucks too because you don’t see a lot of Judo guys dominating in MMA these days. Clearly it is a useful skill to have but without the gi and rule set it, few judoka have really excelled and many argue that you’d get a lot more mileage out of time spent learning wrestling.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I need to get new Thai gloves, shins and mma training gloves soon. I had windy 14’s which I loved but have a hole and some broken stitching, cloth shins that my sparring partners hate and CSI gloves that were awesome. Unfortunately all of those are like 10 years old. I’d like to get similar stuff except i should probably get leather shins but money is tight, does anyone know of some good deals?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

A lot of places just use a marker. Hopefully not permanent.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You should worry less about Conor vs the mountain, and more about Conor or the mountain vs a regular drunk rear end in a top hat. Both are at a tremendous advantage

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-78SnIEuDg0

This guy who used to run an Aikido gym started training MMA and has now given up on Aikido after initially trying to convert some of it to MMA. Pretty cool perspective.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I haven’t trained in a while. I noticed that often times when I got sick in the past it was from running myself ragged at the MMA gym.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

written assignments

What

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I was training with a smaller guy who was a wrestler who I had 30-40 lbs on. Got in a scramble , we both collide heads. I say “dude, are you alright?”. He looks at me funny and goes “DUDE, are you alright?” Jokes on me, my brow was split, blood was gushing on my face and I had to get 5 stitches. He was fine.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

JaySB posted:

Smith doesn't really talk about attempting to take the guy down and restrain or choke him out.

He probably remembered you don’t sell PPV buys with takedowns and restraint.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Looks like it's this, here's a five minute video. I'm only skimming it because it's already past my bedtime, but so far it just seems like it's an incremental improvement over what the UFC uses now, I don't know if that's true or not but it doesn't sound like a snake oil pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGupKJ8Hbs

Edit: Also, I mean, it's the guy in the interview pushing it, and Joe Rogan accommodating him. Which, you know, is super on brand for Joe, for better or worse.

“The guy” is a former UFC champion. I think it’s safe to say he has some skin in the game. Obviously don’t take his marketing at face value but I don’t think it’s a stretch he wants to make a better and hopefully safer glove.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I think you guys may be reading into the reduction of concussions thing a bit too much. If we are talking about the actual competition glove, you don’t really want to a glove that reduces concussions because it just means people are going to be hit more until they are KO’d. If you can make a glove that feels more natural, protects the wearer’s hands more, is less likely to snag during a fight and less likely to produce cuts you’ve designed a glove that is 100% safer.

The training version of gloves tend to be overbuild to reduce hard contact so people are less likely to develop contusions. They may also allow the striker to hit a little harder in training without upsetting their opponent, but again that would be a bad thing in actual competition.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nothing is worse than taking time off grappling, then getting inner bicep bruises the first time you go back.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

There’s no other BJJ schools remotely nearby?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Can’t we just beat up a car or smash barrels like the Street Fighter bonus stages?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Steroids are rampant all over competitive BJJ, which is no secret. Winning a lot of tournaments brings reputation for the gym. It’s not surprising that gyms are like this, but I feel like that shouldn’t be thrust in your face on the first day.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Teach them breakfalls and tell them to concede takedowns. Not much else to do.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

A lot of military people I’ve trained with have been complete tools and I got the nudge from the owner to hurt them a little. This was at multiple gyms. That said some are fine, but you have to remember that being in the military is to be indoctrinated. Some are able to see what it is and others drink the koolaid. I imagine cops are the same, although most cops I’ve trained with have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

I won't compete in Jiujitsu again until I can get down to a moderately lean bodyfat; it's just such a gulf if you sign up fat and your opponent, of the same weight, signs up lean. They feel like a totally different person when they grab you.

I don't know what, if anything, could be done to make it fairer; I mean in a since it's already fair because you can just be in better shape, but still, it's keeping me out of tournaments.

With Judo it isn't a problem around here because they have few enough people doing Judo that they throw all the vaguely similar people into matches so it's not so much of a constantly disadvantaged position.

Can’t you do a masters or directors division? I think all of us are around that age.