Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

IronDoge posted:

I have a local Tiger Schulmann's that I see an acquaintance of mine post pictures of and they seem to be having fun and actually attending competitions and such. Any opinions on the chain in general? They offer an free intro class so I suppose there's no harm in giving it a shot.

There's very little detail on the website about what they actually teach, which is kinda shady. The rashguards say "TSMMA" but it looks like they're mostly doing karate? You'd usually expect a breakdown of classes, which arts are taught when, who the teachers are and a breakdown of their qualifications and competition records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

that's pretty much how i warm up, how i navigate around my house, and how i dress myself

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

3 hours a week? I thought most soldiers got a two week course during basic training and that's all.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think when people who are bad at fighting say "Krav Maga is effective, because the IDF use it!" they've usually trained more Krav than anybody in the IDF

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

working on buying more sick gi patches, mostly

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Somebody posted a rant in this thread awhile back about how martial arts training was great for making friends because it combined all the different aspects of human bonding. One of them was shared hardship. Does anybody remember that post and know how I can find it?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

my dojo... is the street

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Lately I've been swimming a couple of times a week. Really good cardio exercise to complement grappling. Almost no joint strain at all, lots of big (gentle) rotational movements, and your body feels really good afterwards. It's like simultaneous cardio and joint rehab.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

O Sensei is what aikido people call Ueshiba, the founder. He was an rear end in a top hat.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I know you're talking BJJ, but that strangle is illegal in Judo - the only gi strangles permissible are with uke's lapel or with your own sleeve (Sode guruma / ezekiel)

The IJF should explicitly outlaw fun or pleasure of any kind. It's obviously what they're working towards.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Don't get how it's not true

The better you get at grappling the less energy you expend. Good for grappling, bad for cardio

Example: To take backs I used to explode over the top of people as soon as I caught sight of their back. Now I just cup my hand on their hip and shuffle my own hips out a bit.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

It increases your grappling cardio though, no? Which is the whole point?

The point was to answer this person's question:

ManOfTheYear posted:

Do you guys do any conditioning for grappling? 6 minute rolling sessions destroy me and no-gi stuff is so explosive I'm short of breath after few minutes. Wondering if there are any effective routiunes i could do when I'm not able to go to grappling/bjj. For some reason gi stuff is much easier fitness-wise.

He could roll for an extra 30 minutes a week to gain both a small increase in his experience level and a small increase in his grappling cardio. Or, he could spend 30 minutes a week doing conditioning which would not increase his experience but would greatly increase his grappling cardio, which is what he wanted to know about.

Personally I do extra conditioning but only in the lead-up to a competition. I'm too lazy the rest of the year. No-gi stuff is more explosive and there's also more repetitive full-body movement. Gi is less so but strains your grips and forearms more. The longer you train the less effort you will expend and the less tiring it will get. To answer the question, HIIT works pretty well, running or swimming are fine. If six minute rounds are killing you, maybe do six minute workouts with one minute break. Keep it easy but inject short bursts of intensity into it, and then over time start making the intense bursts longer and maybe up the workouts to seven minutes.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

switch gyms immediately

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

also give us the details

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I left my first school for something similar. I wasn't involved in any way but I realized that the owner was a weird creep.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

willie_dee posted:

gently caress Akido, if it doesnt work in MMA it shouldn't be in the thread.

Now someone tell me if I should stop breaking someones arm if they start tapping in a street fight, are people honourable?

I don't know if this is sarcastic or not but i'd be inclined to either

A: Take something like a gift-wrap grip and just restrain/enrage the attacker until help/cops arrive. You'd have a free hand to make the phone call, too.
or
B: Snap a limb and run away if you're unsure about the environment/other attackers/don't trust cops

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I just saw the most realistic portrayal of BJJ-for-self-defence that I've seen in a film: Green Room (2015). It's a thriller about nazi punks and it was very believable in every respect. If you've ever been at a punk or black metal show that skinheads have crashed, it feels so real. There's one character who trains a little bit and it becomes a plot point.

I thought it was an excellent movie, so I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it. I'll wait until a couple of you have seen it before discussing it. Warning: contains extremely gross/believable knife violence. It just got added to Australian Netflix.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Magnus Manfist posted:

Did I manage to completely miss that?

One of the other bandmates says "settle down, jiujitsu" when he is getting angry at the promoter with the mohawk.

The touches I really liked in that movie included:
Asking somebody else to watch for "when he goes out", them being confused when he's conscious again ten seconds later, and then them having no idea how long it actually takes to kill someone with a RNC. Which is something I've always wondered and never got a solid answer about. I think it's a surprisingly long time, more than a minute? Longer? I also liked how he wouldn't disengage the armbar until somebody had a gun pointed at the dude's head, and I liked how it seemed to take a lot of violent effort to do the actual arm break. I think somebody asked that exact question in the grappling thread recently, wondering how much force it took to actually break the arm. I also like how the guy didn't come across as an expert, but more like a blue belt.

Magnus Manfist posted:

Similar note - I saw the first Lethal Weapon the other day. It's mentioned a few times that Mel Gibson knows jiu-jitsu, and then in the final fight he does actually finish Gary Busey with a triangle. It's an 80s action film, I assumed "jiu jitsu" just meant generic movie-martial arts and the fight would all be spinning back fists and poo poo (ok most of it is)

Rorion Gracie was a 'technical advisor' on that film, I think it was their first big hollywood break.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nothing wrong with doing two arts at once, aikido and wing chun are both pretty hokey though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah Aikido isn't taught in a very practical way. They teach you how to throw someone who is trying to punch you, but they say "no, punch like *this*" and demonstrate a super exaggerated haymaker where you step forward way too far and nearly fall over on your own. Then they drill it and go "right, you can now stop punches." It's so codified that it probably hasn't accepted any new input since the 1940s, and there's no attempt to improve what's being taught over time. So if you'd like to learn how to block hollywood punches that will never be thrown at you, go for it. If you want a fat white guy to get mad at you for attempting to mimic a real punch, try aikido.

When people want to try aikido, judo is usually what they're actually looking for: an effective, scalable toolkit for self-defence built around a philosophy of non-violence. (by scalable, i mean you can crank it up and down from "pacify an aggressor without hurting them" to "murderous rage" as a situation warrants.) (also, I stole that description from somebody in this thread)

Judo, BJJ, Sambo etc are all similarly cool and will simultaneously get you fit while also turning you into a bit of a weapon. Boxing and Muay Thai are both great if you want to hit people.

Wing chun is not quite as bad... it can't handle grappling or any kind of rotational strike, but you might learn some cool stuff. They tend to be very culty, though. They'll spend a lot of time explaining to you why they are the ultimate art while never being able to actually demonstrate said superiority on any kind of skilled opponent.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I feel like 'discipline, humility and respect' are byproducts of learning any difficult physical endeavour, anything where you have to grind out improvements over time.

When a TMA that lacks those ingredients claims to build character, I think they're advertising fire when they only have smoke.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hey I got all my dentistry finished which means I can go back to wearing a stupid custom mouthguard

I'm thinking of having it just say "MOUTH".
or maybe "TEETH".
"MEMES"

suggestions welcome

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

"RUDE DOG"

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Subyng posted:

Can you tell me more about positional differences?

The major positions are largely the same, but they're used to achieve different goals. The turtle position, for example, is a strong defensive position in judo, while bjj players tend to use it as a transitional position and they try not to stay there long.

Learning one won't damage your understanding of the other, if that's what you're worried about. They're quite complimentary.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think if I was old or recovering from injuries or something tai chi would actually be pretty cool. It's basically a more-vertical yoga right

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wish joe rogan would stop talking about BJJ on his podcast because now gyms are filling up with the kind of people that think joe rogan is profound

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 21, 2017

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

LionArcher posted:

For me personally it's been effective for self defense, but a lot of that is Philosophy. I've defused a poo poo ton more altercations by being funny and talking people down.

Are you crediting years of aikido training with teaching you to verbally de-escalate conflicts? You can learn most of it by reading websites for fifteen minutes

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

it is incredibly effective against me actually, i am fantastically weak to 'gun'

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I used to think that aikido made sense if you imagined it in a context of swordfighting. Arms-length wrist-grabby grappling is suboptimal in a weaponless wrestling context, but I can imagine the situation arising where two swords lock together so you grab a wrist and send them flying. But then, aikido is from the 20th century, when swords were long obsolete, so idea that idea kind of falls flat.

kimbo305 posted:

I find it interesting that the 3 aikido commenters are on a spectrum about how much engagement is shown:

Pretty sure we're all on the spectrum in this thread

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If it was a historical recreation thing, Ueshiba was the 1920s japan version of a huge weeb

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's a nerve cluster on the back of the neck towards the bottom that you can smash while you're in the thai clinch and the ref won't notice. All it does is hurt and make you feel dizzy, though

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

In my experience, small people get good fast, because they kind of have to

and if you're mean to them when they're new they come back at you like the count of monte cristo with their tiny little bastard legs and their beady hateful little eyes and they make your life a knee-ridden hell

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

when you guys are old you're going to be speech-slurred retards

while i, an esteemed gentleman, am gonna look like that guy in the deer hunter who comes home from 'nam with three limbs missing

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

Could you tone your SJW down a bit?

i'm a social justice mage, you fucker

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So I have an opportunity to renovate a bit and turn half of my garage into a matted area, but I'm going to have to do my weights down there too. I can drag my bench and squat rack on and off the mats as needed... but how can I make mats that won't be destroyed over time by having weights lifted on them a few times a week? I can do 30 or 40 mm puzzle mats, or I can do the full rener gracie thing with layers of foam and carpet... could I just drag some kind of other flooring on or off the mats that would protect them? I'm thinking I'd have to protect the areas where weights will hit (eg while deadlifting) and also protect the points where the legs of my bench etc touch the ground.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nevermind, comrades! I got permission to take up even more space!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cool of him to test his stuff out and be humble about it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find the whole premise of krav to be weird. You're learning the martial art of the IDF. But soldiers are garbage at hand-to-hand. Modern military combatives only exist to give soldiers the confidence not to flee at close range. They do two weeks of it during basic training. I imagine if you've done 3 or 4 months of Krav, you've already done way more Krav than any Israeli soldier. And that's weird.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 9, 2017

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I would probably say no-gi just so you don't have to drop money into a gi if it turns out that it's not the hobby for you. Are you male/female small/large? I would say if you're male/large try no-gi and if you're female/small try gi.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Music Theory posted:

What's the thread opinion on capoeira?

Lots of fun, limited martial application. Hope you like singing