Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I like that this OP gets right down to the stuff that got asked billions of times in the last thread and is deserving of 5 stars, although perhaps it would've been more courageous to take a stand on throwing guys into the scorers table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

I don't wear regular mouth guards when rolling because they make breathing hard and I don't like taking them out of my gooey mouth to talk. Are Sisu mouthguards goon approved for BJJ & are they good enough for getting punched in the face? thanks

I personally use a custom, but we've got folks that use them for striking and swear by them.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KildarX posted:

So it's legit coaches, teaching legit stuff; but stealing everything else that makes McDojos insufferable?

This is an unholy marriage you see more and more of these days in BJJ as well.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

It's hard to blame people when you're trying to run a profitable business and those tactics are proven successful. While being a good teacher and nothing else generally leads to failure.

Yeah, I do hope a happy medium between blackbelt-with-no-business-sense and full-on-TLI-bullshit emerges as some kind of standard though.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

will a general practice doctor be able to do anything about this

I'm sure it varies, but the fuckhead I went to the first time I got it wouldn't even drain it for me, he wanted to send me to a plastic surgeon.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

It all depends on what they're comfortable with. I would imagine he was worried he would mess it up and you could end up worse with a bad ear or no ear and he would have a lawsuit.

In my experience there is often a doctor or nurse who trains that knows the procedure and everyone just goes to them.

My new doctor, who reminds me a lot of the Tim Roth character in Lie To Me, massages them lovingly and calls them wrestler ears.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Grandmaster.flv posted:

What's everyone working on - I'm working on double underhooks from butterfly

This for me too, oddly enough, shucking the arm to get to the back mainly. Also truck entries.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KildarX posted:

There's truck entries from butterfly now???

Probably, but that was supposed to be a separate thought.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Rationale posted:

're: foot placement.

I find that its not overly important to focus on. Granted, I can't outbox a grocery bag, but I find its more important to hit the guy an getn out of the way than it is to worry about which way your toes are pointing. Seriously, watch some fights. Those guys don't study toe chi.

If this is not a serious post then its brilliant.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

Is everyone in the thread getting together to laugh at me behind my back? :ohdear:

On the contrary, goons will make every effort to be sure you're included when they want to laugh at you.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Speaking of Krav, was out getting lunch and noticed we now have one: https://www.flnation.com/

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
e: lets just say theres some pretty funny stuff on that site

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 23, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its weird that this is the 2nd place offering stick-fighting out here but we have no BJJ gym. (I mean in my actual little town...if I try 20-45 minutes I can hit over a dozen gyms)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Yeah we have wrestling "clubs" here but its mostly kids so all the adults eventually just end up training at a BJJ/MMA place.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

My question is, will the ref hit you for stalling in the stand-up phase if you are moving around your opponent, fighting off grips/takedowns but still taking shots, etc?
gently caress no, they'll probably think you're a wrestler sand-bagging.

Also it appears you have not been turned on to our awesome grappling thread. :glomp:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Omglosser posted:

I think my bjj prof was grooming my gf to be his sidepiece. I don't think she was the first either. Is this a 'thing' for instructors nowadays or something? I'm not giving details cuz this ain't e/n.

lovely and frowned upon but unfortunately not unique.

Actually I was just thinking of guys banging female students. I haven't heard of poo poo like that outside of TLI rumors.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I also suspect I actually ruffled some feathers with the anime comment and for that I do apologize lol
I was unaware of the BJJ/anime relationship and hence not angered. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 14, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

One of the signs of damage occurring is rigidity, which can feel like they are resisting further, their eyes don't necessarily close, and people still breathe. It can look like an opponent is still resisting the choke, even though they are completely out and experiencing brain damage.

Yeah, this can be really weird. Combined with the gurgling sounds people make if they go out and are still getting choked, it can really seem like someone is still awake.

quote:

eggshell issues
I don't know this term :downs: , does that mean its more susceptible to future damage?

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 10, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
The old thread was like a honeypot because it had Aikido in the title then the OP made us sound all welcoming to dumbass ideas. Boy were they in for a surprise when they started posting!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Why? It still teaches discipline, manners and respect.
Hey rear end in a top hat, before you go moving the goalposts, your original smug rear end assertion was regarding street-fighting.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

You still doing the morning classes at PH? I haven't been crushed in a while you should make it out at night...

Got too busy with works to do mornings much to my great sorrow. I'll be up there tonight though :hfive:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Hey I got all my dentistry finished which means I can go back to wearing a stupid custom mouthguard

I'm thinking of having it just say "MOUTH".
or maybe "TEETH".
"MEMES"

suggestions welcome

get one with busted out teeth :haw:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Magnus Manfist posted:

Hey dude - this thread more or less descends into slapfights anytime something other than brazilian jiu-jitsu is mentioned (though bjj is extremely cool).

Not really.

Wrestling, muay thai, boxing, judo, sambo, fencing etc all get discussed sans slapfight.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Subyng posted:

Yep, I'm having a lot of fun! I did jiu jitsu before so I'm already familiar with the techniques so far.

I also joined a BJJ gym. Enjoying that as well, although to be honest the "bro" culture of it doesn't really vibe with me, although I'm not sure if this a product of the specific gym I'm training at.

Very much varies, even within affiliations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Did some MMA rounds for the first time in a while. Jesus christ I need to get in better shape than BJJ requires.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bangkero posted:

In fact, box and wrestle at the same time.

Maybe I can mix those with the martial art of BJJ also.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dave Grool posted:

MIght be tennis elbow from blowing out your grips. It comes from overexerting your forearm muscles.

Agreeing with this, its pretty common and I had a couple month period early on when I was dealing with it also. For me this was because I grabbed on for dear life like every roll was a life or death cagematch.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mewse posted:

Former boxer doing yoga problem: I keep trying to tuck my chin in warrior 2 pose

My yoga AND boxing problem is I flare my chin. :smith:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I've trained with guys before that said their Aikido training was a good supplement to other martial arts. This also jibes with what I read when I researched it way back in the day in that it was better being learned to augment something else, vs standalone. If nothing else, they at least teach legit wrist locks.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I was in a competition a couple years ago that penalized a point for pulling guard. They switched away from that the following year, I think because they caught so much flack for it. I really thought it was great though, and for would love to see more no-gi comps do this.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

What are people's view of the paper cutter choke here? I'm finding myself using it more and more when I pass to side control but some people call it a move that leads to DQ.

Its actually something I should try to look for more. Also:

CommonShore posted:

DQ? Seriously?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
that was a pretty great read, manyak

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Kuvo posted:

this is still the proper way to do promotion pictures right

Indeed it is, congrats!!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Yeah, I did enough striking to attain "not horrible" status, but am too old and decrepit to push my luck. If I was young and trying to be the baddest motherfucker possible, I'd definitely start there though.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
To be fair I'm probably betting on the juiced up fighter over the moron trying to hammer and chissle the u lock.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

T.S. Smelliot posted:

. Should I try and work out a bit first so I don't show embarrassingly out of shape compared to what I was or what

gently caress no, get in there.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I'd rather have a concussion than a torn acl or something but I'm also retarded.

I'm just terrified of getting some kind of palsy and having to do bum fights for catfood in order to survive.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Whenever I get the inevitable "BJJ and judo isn't that bad for you and stuff? Like, it can hurt your knees and back?"

Lumping those two in together for injury potential is a little misleading also, unless you're at a BJJ school where you always start standing and don't pull guard.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

olylifter posted:

Also the back buddy is loving great. I bought one the other week and its unreal.

Got one after reading this and holy gently caress you weren't kidding, this thing is great. Haven't touched my soma/lacrosse balls since it got in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Idk wtf you people are on about but please link me this back buddy thing, sounds cool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5FH9PM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1