Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

hi liter posted:

Do ya'll train with any cops?

Yeah lots, and it definitely seems like even more of a thing lately. Rolled with a swat team guy last week who's maybe the strongest man I've ever met, I'm seriously terrified of what he's going to be like with a few years under his belt.

Best story is three guys outside one of the schools smoking weed and one of our cops rolls up on them. Only two of the guys knew the cop. Those two and the cop played it up like bust. The third guy was in a car he'd "borrowed" without permission from his employer and freaking the gently caress out. Apparently he didn't think it was funny and left the gym a while later :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Can't! No heel hooks in amateur in Florida.

Haha holy poo poo I can't believe I didn't know this. You training at West?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

No heel hooks and pretty sure no toe holds either. Yeah West, and PH usually once a week. All at night classes though can't make any mornings.

e: Just read the the actual rules, apparently the only legal leg attack is a knee bar

"(b) In addition to the aforementioned fouls, fouls/illegal techniques while on the ground include:"
"3. Any submission attacking the legs ankles or feet other than a straight knee bar (Heel hooks or any angled leg locks);"

So lets hear some tales of that victory :dance:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
:tviv:

Daaamn, nice finish!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I think anything other than puzzle mats is gonna get torn up by the bench, no way you can keep that on solid ground I guess?

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 24, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

JC what are you walking around at these days?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Whats up MA thread, I'm a brown belt now.
Congrats!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Music Theory posted:

Cool, thanks. Probably going to end up with capoeira, then, because of the acrobatics thing.

I'd take capoeira classes if we had someone legit near me just because the poo poo looks so cool.

e: oh poo poo, you didn't actually say group sex....kimbo :argh:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
A smattering of The Darlok related fight comments from the local crowd:

That was the nastiest break I've witnessed live at an MMA event. What a warrior that dude is to be smiling on the way out of the cage. Hats off to him.

coach that wasn't there: Let me guess he was pretty laid-back about it
coach that was there: Totally fine

I see one post saying it was one of the worst breaks he's seen then another one saying Darlok was smiling on the way out. That sounds about right.

I still haven't watched it tho cus I'm a complete wus.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 3, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

It didn't look like you did, it confused me how that happened, given it looked like you went down pretty flat. Sucks dude :/

Guys that have watched footage from the other corner say it happens when darlok posts to turtle up, not during the slam

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Oh really? Haven't seen that myself. I would imagine it had to already have fractured quite badly at that point for that happen...

Again, I'm not watching it :barf: but I guess that's just when it became visible, his knee apparently rolls into it and its pretty easy to see from the angle they have from what I was told. I'll message you some names.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 3, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm in awe of fighting twice in a month in any event.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 11, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Thanks man - you been training at PH recently? I'm going to try to get back to classes soon just to rep stuff that doesn't require usage of my arm.

Mostly North lately but I'm hoping to get back over there soon. Congrats on the purple belt!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Lost pretty bad. Huge knockdown that I barely made the count on, and was way too one dimensional after that, knocked down twice more. Well, couldn't have been more two knockdowns cuz 2 in a round would be fight over.
Have video; will share.

Sorry to hear that man. Hats off to you in any event, takes a brave man to step in a cage.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

old.flv posted:

no, you can do as many steroids as you like

Paulo Miyao would probably disagree.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

generatrix posted:

Hi, I'm not new to posting here, but I'll introduce myself anyways. I'm Trevor Childs, and I train under Ron Dupuis at Windsor Brazilian Jiujitsu (in the warmest place in the frozen north, Windsor, Ontario, Canada).

Ron and I are in L.A. to train with his instructor: Jean Jacques Machado. We got to do classes and roll in the main HQ in Tarzana, 805 Jiujitsu, and the JJM school in Malibu. On the first night Jean Jacques and Ron promoted me to black belt.

All the lovely people who tried to tear my arms off (I'm the tall goofy looking guy in the panda gi)

It was my first time rolling with multiple black belts, and going in I was mildly terrified. But I was able to hold my own and play my game (half-guard with lockdowns from the bottom, grinding to mount from the top). I have some tricks they aren't used to, and they have some that were a test for me. It was a great way to gauge my skills against a wide array of styles, aggression levels, and body types, and really solidifies where I am in my BJJ journey. I got to train and roll with Greg Hamilton, Mike Armstrong, Jay and Mike Zeballos, and a number of other great people.

I started training just over nine years ago. At the time I was 315 lbs, 26 years old, and hadn't done anything seriously athletic for over a decade. I had seen BJJ on an early season of The Ultimate Fighter (back when the show was mostly focussed on their training), and passed by WBJJ every day on my to and from work. One day I wandered in, and after that first lesson I never wanted to leave. I trained every hour they were open, and got my blue belt fairly quickly because of the hours I put in.

An avulsion tear took me out for a few months, but I went back as soon as I was medically able. That patten repeated twice more, for patellar tendonosis at purple belt, and traumatic tennis elbow (i.e. I slipped while in an armbar) requiring surgery at brown belt. When my knee was healing I decided to finally start eating properly, and now I'm at about 210, which looks a bit skinny on my frame.

The cliché quote is that "a black belt is just a white belt that kept showing up." That's me. I'm not naturally athletic, and I'm nowhere near as strong as other guys. My physical gifts end at being tall, and more flexible than big guys usually are. It doesn't really matter though, because I kept showing up. I kept learning, and training. Now, after this last week I'm confident that I am where I should be for this rank. Things that were major problems for me at white and blue belt are now things I can weave around, because I kept showing up and learning for nine years.

(Note: I did try açaí for the first time this week, so it could just be the magic jiujitsu berries that carried me)

So, yeah, this is getting pretty long, but that's my story so far. A fat, weak, computer programmer living far from the major training hubs can become a tricky and technical black belt. Just keep showing up.

That's awesome, congrats!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Oh my, that is nice.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
ShowTheArt invitation tourney up in NJ is streaming live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIe-7DZEWM

Started at 12:30, they're doing the girls tournament first then men's.

e: mens just started

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 26, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So this hurricane's heading straight for my house but the last thing to get stowed was my mats, and I got some drilling in this morning. Thank you, Irma, for verifying my priorities. If I live through this, my rDLR is going to be on another level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

You're a guy that's completely in love with the idea of looking for fights in the wild against bike thieves.
Peter Parker let a bike thief run free once, makes u thikn