Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The introduction to Renzo's book has a pretty good history of bjj. Written by danaher before he was famous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
After the intro it's all pretty down the middle bjj and vale Tudo techniques. I guess it's kind of weird because there's basically two books jammed into one

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Still doesn't measure up to Matt Hughes book. Source of my AV

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Never served but like most things there are probably average soldiers, good soldiers and lovely but not lovely enough to kick out soldiers. Kid might end up the last one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It's kind of funny because you see old time photos of the gi and it's so different from both judo and bjj. Bigger but also shorter.

Edit: also just realized that the belt is different. Looks like just the standard Japanese belt, an obi.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

it's pretty rare that someone takes a clean punch in a boxing match. Even when they land flush, it's often mitigated a bit by an angle or roll. Power is also lower because you just can't throw as hard against a moving target who might also hit back. As Bruce Lee, of all people, pointed out.

There's quite a few videos of normal people taking a shot from the pros as a stunt. Usually to the body or a leg kick. They're fine* after a few minutes.

*Except that one guy who got his femur cracked taking a leg kick from Forest Griffin.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Go on, tell him his outfit looks dumb. I dare you.

Looks like a character out of one of the old final fantasy games. This is a compliment

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Stuff like kettlebells and isometrics might be what you're looking for? Pilates too.

I agree on finding it kind of boring though. I used to do yoga with our MMA coach and I enjoyed his classes. He took that fighting coach outlook (in a good way) so he'd correct our details and we had progressions towards more challenging positions.

I tried a class with a pure yoga teacher and it was similar; it was his class for the serious practitioners. so they were all 10x better than me but the focus and mentality was a fit. Versus the more casual offerings where people probably don't want to hear how they can improve. So, also maybe you can find a better fit in the yoga practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Well that's pretty awesome. I played a poo poo ton of fight night and dreamed of a full VR experience.