Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So my wife and I had a baby recently, and she's starting to get really freaked out by all the weird poo poo that strangers say and do to people carrying/pushing babies. She's never had much interest in martial arts, but I think she's looking for some kind of assertiveness training? Can you guys think of any type of training that basically lets you practice basically yelling at strangers for being rude in public?

I know some self-defense courses include an element like this, but I'm not sure what search terms to use.

congrats buddy! Verbal self-defense is what you want to google. I've taken Verbal Judo at my old workplace, apparently it's a prominent communications course that is popular in North America. I'm not sure if it's overkill for your wife but you can check it out and see if there might be a seminar close to you.

http://verbaljudo.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Thanks Kimbo and well done stepping up again this year. Yeah, you were pressing the fight but you looked a bit more jittery compared to last year. Not a lot of clinching, but I guess that was because he was bigger? Seeing that knockdown in the second was tough.

You've done the event twice now and you've got a while before deciding whether to do it next year. I look forward to an update when you start grappling 4 realz.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

generatrix posted:

Hi, I'm not new to posting here, but I'll introduce myself anyways. I'm Trevor Childs, and I train under Ron Dupuis at Windsor Brazilian Jiujitsu (in the warmest place in the frozen north, Windsor, Ontario, Canada).

Ron and I are in L.A. to train with his instructor: Jean Jacques Machado. We got to do classes and roll in the main HQ in Tarzana, 805 Jiujitsu, and the JJM school in Malibu. On the first night Jean Jacques and Ron promoted me to black belt.

All the lovely people who tried to tear my arms off (I'm the tall goofy looking guy in the panda gi)

Congrats! :toot: That's awesome, thanks for the update.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Free standing boxing bags!

I'm moving to a new place which has a tiny (but big enough for home practice) outside space, there's a wall but the landlord won't allow for drilling holes in it; so hanging bags are out of the question. I'm aware most free standing bags will move around during use.
Anyone have some recommended brands /things to look out for (central europe/intended for continuous outside use) ? I mainly do Muay Thai and i've been wondering if a bob/human-shaped type free standing bag would be worth it (especially for training aim and precision)

Thanks!
I'd probably just get a bag with targets (or duct tape with permanent marker) rather than one of those humanoid dummies.