Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I've been doing BJJ 2-3 times a week for a little over a year now. I noticed today that my left ear, specifically the inner cartilege part is a bit swollen maybe bruised with a bit of pain. I'm worried about cauliflower ear. I know I should probably start wearing earguards, but will a general practice doctor be able to do anything about this or do I need to go a sports medicine doc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
As a newbie BJJer, I'm gonna go ahead and say do it. Like others have said, prepare to be smashed for at least the first year.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
What's your guys take on standup sparring with takedowns, groundwork, but super light striking technique? I train at a BJJ gym and for the most part we train for straight BJJ sport and competitions, so no striking at all. However, recently we've had a few guys who are preparing for MMA fights come through so during sparring we'll start standing, w/ MMA gloves, throwing super light boxing and KB technique to work your way into a clinch. From there it's takedowns into BJJ w/ strikes on the ground. Obviously, you're just tapping the guy with your fist to let him know he's open to strikes. I find that mixing in strikes, however light, completely changes the dynamics of grappling. I guess my question is how useful is this from self-defense as well as sport/MMA/conditioning perspective? I found that I really enjoyed this type of sparring because it puts together all the things I love about striking and grappling without really having to worry about head trauma.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

ICHIBAHN posted:

As for training with strikes, I'd love that. It'd probably highlight how weak the bjj we learn is for self defense.

I mean, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it weak. I found it especially useful for top game, but I had a fairly illuminating moment when I ended up on bottom, apparently with my entire face and upper torso exposed. My partner just politely reminded me "MMA rules, dude". I had to cover up immediately, but it definitely reminds you of bad habit muscle memory.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is there a go-to site for BJJ tournament schedules? I'm looking to compete as a white belt, but it seems there are more tournaments for blue and above. I'm in Norcal if that makes a difference.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm getting ready for my first BJJ tournament as a white belt. I've been going through the rules book and familiarizing myself with the ref's hand signals and fouls and prohibited techniques. Does anyone have any general advice for a tournament newbie?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Magnus Manfist posted:

2) Get someone with decent wrestling to train simple takedowns and defence with you. Very simple - literally just double and single leg takedowns and sprawl defence, but do it a lot, until you can definitely make it work. In bjj we (at my club at least) train starting from the knees 90% of the time, then in comps you start standing up. At white belt, people are not prepared. If you shoot a decent double leg it will very likely work, they'll find themselves on the bottom, panic, tire themselves out, you submit or hold onto your points lead till the end.

Won't work any more at blue or above, but against white belt level guys it's a the most simple possible, super high percentage gameplan.

Funny you mention takedowns. I do have some TD and TDD training from my striking experience. My question is, will the ref hit you for stalling in the stand-up phase if you are moving around your opponent, fighting off grips/takedowns but still taking shots, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Quick trip report from my first BJJ tournament. Overall I'm not all that happy with my performance but it is what it is. I competed at white belt level at 167lbs, had two matches. Lost both.

Leading up to the matches waiting in the bullpen feels a lot like the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan. The waiting is what kills you.

Match 1: Decent amount of standup, a lot of back and forth. I managed to sprawl when the dude shot but my legs weren't back far enough so he got the take down. I recovered guard. Dude then went for a bunch of cross chokes. I defended them, tucked the chin, didn't really feel like I was danger. I managed to reverse and got pulled into his guard. Had a hell of time trying to break open his guard which I think is where the majority of the time went. He tried a couple of sweeps which I fended off. I ended up in half-guard a few times managed to catch an underhook and get myself out. Some more unsuccessful guard breaking on my part. At that point I was down 11-0. Ref stopped the match with 15s left because apparently I had a bloody lip. I didn't ask for it, didn't seem like a big deal. First aid came over with some gauze and dabbed it a bit. poo poo, I'll take a breather if they offer. Last 15s I manage to sweep and get the guy in side control. Buzzer goes off. 11-3 final, his. Overall, I feel like I was too passive/not aggressive enough. My instructor said I could've had him and that I had an answer for everything he threw at me, I just stayed too defensive.

Match 2: Much taller guy. Only had a few minutes to recover from my last match. I was pretty much gassed. Did a bit of standup but the dude just out wrestled me, got me on the ground, took mount and Americana. This is the one that hurts the most.

All in all, I'm glad I participated. I think the thing that most surprised me was the speed of the rolling. You need to be quick as hell to pull something off. Not feeling so hot at all right now but I'll be back at class this week with a lot of stuff to think about/work on.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 12, 2016