Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

JaySB posted:

I'm just a blue belt who thinks he knows it all.

Is that not redundant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Odddzy posted:

A guy that's done bjj for five years with a wrestling background that trains 3-4x a week is probably someone i'd put more money on in a fight against a moped than you.

You've never seen willie fight a moped.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

If he tried that poo poo on me I'd drop my inside axe kick to his face. I call it The Widowmaker.

gently caress that I’d take my knife and stab him in the face!

IN THE FACE!

mewse
May 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's with the running shoes meme?

Nike-do is the most useful martial art

mewse
May 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So boxing is superior to kickboxing?

Yes, and Jiu Jitsu is superior to boxing, and Judo is superior to all three

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

self defense is a scam designed to get you to kill yourself.

:lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse
May 2, 2006

A guy I know was a heavyweight amateur boxer and he lives in a rough part of town. He got jumped by 2-3 kids recently and knocked out one of them. Made another piss their pants. He got concussed and said he was flash KO'd for a second.

This is not good stuff, he was lucky they didn't have weapons.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I Killed A Moped Thief And So Can You by Willie Dee

mewse
May 2, 2006

That thing about using whatever works is why some people consider him the grandfather of MMA

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Apparently Lonsdale has become a neo-nazi brand?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59wjq8/learn-to-spot-the-secret-signals-of-far-right-fashion
Good thing that pair of gloves never worked for me.

This is loving bullshit. Apparently those new balances are crypto fascist because they are red and black. Meanwhile they circled the lonsdale logo instead of the loving "NTNL SZLST" tshirt right beside it

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, they updated the article with an interview. When they initially posted it to facebook it just had that thumbnail image with no explanation

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Didn't some dude in the ufc 1 compete under a gym that had bone breaking in the arts title.

Are you thinking of the Academy of Small Joint Manipulation?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

willie no it was ironic

lmfao

mewse
May 2, 2006

When will Crossfit Defense debut in the UFC?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

It was just the instructor's attitude and claims during the whole session that was making me cynical about Crossfit Self Defense being practical. He kept pointing out how it was highly usable in any dangerous situation unlike like most martial arts, which I felt like he was mkaing a dig at me for wearing a rash-guard with my girlfriend's BBJ club on it. He also kept saying that having a "body forged by CrossFit" will allow you to make more sense of the motions and movement, which again, makes no sense. There was no sparring because it was "not a sport techniques" course.

If I ended up in one of those things for some reason I wouldn't mention any training I've done until seeing how the instructor acted a little bit.

"MMA doesn't work on the streets" "techniques too deadly for sparring", gently caress off

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jab him in the nose until he backs off

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Pain is weakness leaving the body. Keep going and you will grow to love pain.

I hate this expression because it's one of those crossfit cult sayings that ends up with everyone in the hospital for rhabdo.

Training should never leave you in pain. Tired and sore, of course, but real pain is your body telling you something is hosed up and you need to listen to your body in order to prevent injury. Never "just push through the pain", don't believe "no pain no gain", etc

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

One guy keeps calling himself a Kino Warrior(whatever the gently caress that is)

Isn't kino that PUA poo poo about touching girls to seduce them

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Google is showing me that it is a workout program called Kino Warrior shredding and it's big on intermittent fasting. So the guy is just a idiot.

I like my explanation better tbh

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Oh I keep forgetting to add - we have a 5-year old girl at our club now who is becoming an amazing source of entertainment in judo. She has four older siblings and a dad who participate and compete, and she's been watching judo as long as she has been alive. She can tie her belt but not her shoes.

This loving girl. She's tiny for her age with platinum blonde pigtails and lightning blue eyes, and she's ankle picking and overhead throwing her brothers. I had a 11 year old boy come up to me after working with her and say "if she were any bigger she would have kicked my rear end just now."

It's one of the most :staredog: things I've ever seen when a tiny little doll of a girl grabs a resisting opponent and executes a sode tsurikomi goshi.

Wittle Wonda Wousey

mewse
May 2, 2006

The amazing part about Jack Slack is that he intersperses clips that illustrate what he's talking about, which kinda has the effect of making his claims inherently true. I haven't seen any other writer that is able to break down the striking game like he does. I've even caught myself reading articles and going "man this guy knows what he's talking about" and scrolling up and it's Jack Slack writing the drat article

mewse
May 2, 2006

I thought human experimentation was illegal

mewse
May 2, 2006

My trained amateur boxer friend with one bout on his record is participating in one of those things (3 months of training before bout) and I think he's gonna maul his opponent

mewse
May 2, 2006

His one bout was a bloodbath and his face got rearranged in the process of losing so I don't think he understands how far and away better trained he is than some accountant with no training

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Surely the fact hes already had a fight completely disqualifies him from this? Kinda hosed up for his opponent, RIP

That's the first thing I asked him, "aren't they gonna see you have a bout in your record book?" and he said he asked them if it's ok that he already has a "little bit" of experience and they said yes. They know he had a bout already.

e: and then he started talking about how he's not gonna be able to wear all his gear to the training sessions lest they think he's some kinda pro lol

mewse fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 23, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ive seen a couple white collar boxing events that had completely awful bouts. It irritates me when they’re deemed as black tie galas and there’s no real boxing fans in the crowd

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Isn't that because nearly every ticket is sold to friends and family? I know a ton of people who want me to do it so they can purchase a ticket to see me get beat up.

The ones here are usually billed as fundraisers or something so yeah friends+family and some sketchy charity

mewse
May 2, 2006

Drop Database posted:

Requesting advice. I've been training muay thai for a while now, in an effort to get stronger and fitter, and I feel it slowly coming together - my punches are becoming snappy and powerful, my kicks are speeding up, technique is getting better, and things are flowing more; I'm staying relaxed, and even my fitness (I'm a fatass) has slowly grown to the point where I feel energised after training, rather than drained. The problem is that all of the above goes out the window when I'm sparring! Faced with the prospect of being hit, I tense up, stop moving or revert to back/forward movement, fail to manage distance, flail with my hands instead of keeping a solid guard, etc. And this is even when sparring with people I know won't (experienced fighters who can control their power extremely well) or even who can't (people half my size) actually hurt me. How do I stop being such a pussy?!

The same process for how you became loose and relaxed during training will eventually happen for you during sparring.

A couple things that might help you: try to pay close attention to what your shoulders feel like when they're loose, and when they're rigid and tensed up. When you get a good feeling for what the difference is, you'll start being able to consciously force them to loosen up. They might tense up again when you get distracted by someone trying to hit you, but then you can loosen them again. They'll eventually stay loose.

The other thing that helped me is that when someone is pressuring you, you don't just have to cover up and practice your defenses. A lot of the time the best way to get the pressure off you is to sting them with a jab. This seems like a simple thing but it was revelatory to me when I was new to sparring.

And if you wanna try something really dumb do some flinching drills

mewse
May 2, 2006

Squirrel Burger posted:

Mold Belt is the secret rank of the ultimate goon self defense technique, which involves being too gross to approach or attack

Your gym doesn't even award my belt rank :smug:

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's like some bizarro world where Willie posts the most sensible thing about roids but this isn't a steroid thread, could you guys please STFU about it. I really don't enjoy reading advice about using steroids better

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I think boxing needs a kata section where trainer and fighter do a coreographed sequence of pad work.

That's basically what Floyd does with his uncle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXr1dqNqam8&t=778s

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yoga is cool

mewse
May 2, 2006

bob human being posted:

Hello. I have a few questions.

First off, has anyone here studied ryu-te? I practiced it when I was in middle school, and later when I was maybe 19-20. From what I understand, it's basic karate.

Secondly, how well does that hold up to other arts? I'm guessing the answer is "muay thai is better" as it seems to have grown considerably in popularity. I also understand that I mostly learned striking, and have a major gap in knowledge of grappling and throws.

It may only be a dream, but I'd like to join the UFC someday. I don't want to be the next CM Punk and get told "I'm all heart" for getting my rear end kicked as long as I can take it. I'm far from physically ready due to a multitude of setbacks, but I'd like to make a game plan.

Your dream to compete in the UFC is unrealistic. It's like someone in their 20s saying "I'd like to play major league baseball" when they played a few seasons of little league as a kid. I would suggest if you speak to trainers local to you, you say "my dream is to compete in amateur MMA", which is much more achievable but still an incredibly tough goal.

Your martial arts experience probably means jack and you would have been better off participating in boxing or wrestling growing up.

Find an MMA gym local to you that trains UFC level guys, they will give you better advice.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

That school doesn't look to me as if it can take someone into MMA.

If their BJJ credentials are real it could be legit but the whole self defense thing is mcdojo

mewse
May 2, 2006

bob human being posted:

I have done a few striking sessions and while I won them all

Lol "winning" at sparring

mewse
May 2, 2006

pre:
FADE IN:

TRAIN INTERIOR - DAY

WILLIE is seated on the train, heading to a party in LONDON

WILLIE (Voice over)
              This drat moped violence has got to stop.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Question just out of curiosity: Could a person be arrested (for assault) while engaging in sparring/tournament at a martial arts place if they take it too far?

A guy got out of control the other day while sparring (boxing) and the guy he was punching had taken his gloves off, was holding up his hands, and yelling "stop, stop, i'm done!" and the guy followed him off the mat continuing to punch him.

Or, like at a tournament, and someone blatantly breaks a rule and hurts someone.

Yes.

In hockey, Todd Bertuzzi pled guilty to criminal assault charges when he cheap shotted Steve Moore and broke his neck.

In my venue there's a waiver you sign when you register as an amateur boxer and part of it is you release other members from liability for any reason whatsoever, but I sincerely doubt that would hold up in court if there was criminal assault involved.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was gonna say the biggest fraud is professional wrestling but that’s more about how people think muscles = fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Has anyone else ever had the experience of having a guest instructor from another school teach a seminar and despite them being very good at the art, the seminar goes against everything you’ve learned?

And I don’t mean in a “oh wow this makes so much sense” kind of way, but more in a “he’s saying these fundamentals that are necessary and good and practiced by far better fighters are actually bad” kind of way.

Every gym has a particular style so I have had the experience "oh we don't do things like that here".

Your three choices when you encounter this are:

"This new technique is garbage, I'm going to ignore it"

"There's some validity to this new technique, I'll try to integrate it with my existing style"

"Everything I've learned before this is a lie"