Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody have any experience with kids boxing?

I was involved when boxing canada dropped competition age from 11 to 8. As Kimbo was saying I think you definitely have to be comfortable with the coach. A run of the mill MMA place might not be great.

The young kids don't really have the power to cause traumatic brain injury. I think I've witnessed 11yos punching each other in the head for entire 1.5 minute rounds without harm. I wouldn't want to allow kicks to the head tho.

e: also see if you can dig up Dana Carvey on the Norm MacDonald show talking about his dad making him fight other kids in his back yard - and never, ever do that

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh man “I can join the advanced class if I agree to get beat up”

mewse
May 2, 2006

here the link bae

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wonder how many ribs that broke

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

When sparring stand up, anyone got any tips on how to not lean back at the waist and instead use my rear leg to pull back? My body naturally wants to keep my feet planted and bend at the waist but it's clear that thats a rooky mistake

I think keeping your feet planted is the root cause of this problem and you need to drill in/outs while bouncing around. Leaning back moves the center of gravity off your feet and sets you up to catch a big punch

mewse
May 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Got it. I got that vibe, but don't really know anything about it.

My kids have done BJJ and Muay Thai for years (after doing taekwondo for years) and are wanting to check out something different.

The only offerings in our area that aren't immediately identifiable as "mall karate" are this wing chun place and a judo place.

Judo is way more legit than wing chun

mewse
May 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm not familiar with BJJ other than it is supposedly the most effective self-defense style of fighting. But from a distance it seems mostly grappling focus which doesn't seem that fun to me. Unless, that is an ignorant statement.

Preference for striking is totally valid

mewse
May 2, 2006

My experience in boxing was that if some young buck decided to start throwing hard in sparring then someone much better than them would put them in their place. It doesn’t sound normal at all for a brown belt to be beating on people.

mewse
May 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So that game doesn't measure punching power but rather speed?

Speed is power. Force is mass * acceleration. The faster your fist is flying when it hits the bag, the larger the acceleration and the more force is measured.

It's why once you start getting good at the heavy bag your punches start to pop rather than thud

mewse
May 2, 2006

A drop of sweat fell from my brow into my coach’s mouth once

mewse
May 2, 2006

They mention safer for the fighters a couple times so I guess that gets game of telephoned into less concussions

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

So last week a very Thread FAQ happening happened in my circle of peers. If XGuard86 wants to add this to the OP it's almost a perfect illustration of "Martial Arts as Self Defense" I encourage it. I intend to tell this story for the rest of my life when teaching judo/bjj.

So the main character in this story is a guy who I'm going to call Jeff. I used to train with Jeff, though I haven't for some years at this time - the reasons aren't important. Jeff is in his early 40s and he's a retired amateur MMA and Muay Thai fighter. He's also gigantic. He's upwards of 6 feet and 200 pounds and he has the physique of an action figure even in his 40s. On top of that his elbows, knees, and knuckles look like pickaxes from training and conditioning. He's a purple belt in BJJ. I've rolled with him and I've been kicked by him. He's unbelievably powerful and he knows how to use that power effectively. The bottom line Jeff is what those in this field would call One Bad Mother Fucker.

So on a nice autumn evening last week Jeff is at a public outdoor space with his kid. A group of men and women starts yelling racial slurs at him. He tries to leave with his kid and the group obstructs him. A fight breaks out. It's the archetypical "but if u cant run" fantasy situation.

From here I've now seen video.

They're in the middle of the street. Jeff is by this point shirtless because his clothing has been torn off and he has 4 attackers around him, swarming him. He towers above his attackers. He looks the part of a big scary dude. This looks like a video game. Jeff grabs one person and throws them 10 feet onto the asphalt. He hits an osoto gari on another and kicks them and sends them rolling away like a beach ball. He drags a third to the ground and gets a knee ride going while completely ignoring the kicks and punches from the 4th. The first two start to get up and they throw a few more strikes at him, but they're pretty hurt already and they don't seem to be affecting him much. He doesn't strike the person who he has pinned. It's unclear what's going to happen next.

A 5th person enters the frame and stabs Jeff 5 times.

Jeff is expected to make a full recovery, thankfully. As of the time of posting 4 of his 5 attackers have been arrested.

The bottom line is that there's no winning in self-defense situations. I'm not sure what Jeff should have done given the premises of the situation, but the reality is that self-defense in the wild is about which side is willing to escallate the conflict more. He had every physical advantage, the training advantage, and the experience advantage. There is no class or martial art or technique or physical training that Jeff could have done but didn't which could have "won" him that fight. Just buy running shoes.

Fuuuuck I heard about this from my parents, apparently the elders are pretty upset that the attackers were indigenous kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

That loving sucks.

I was involved in organizing amateur boxing events in Canada for a while and got to speak to the main doctor we'd have attending the events. He told me he would call the nearest emergency room prior to an event and warn them that he might be sending them someone with a brain bleed - which is the specific injury that happened here.

I have to think if this were a sanctioned event with an amateur sport association involved, then the permanent damage could have been mitigated by having a doctor on-site with a plan to get the kid treatment ASAP.

Protect yourself at all times!