Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

I love the little things in the show. For the recap of Eleanor's death, there's a magazine w Tahani on the cover while she's waiting in line.

And it's the magazine she brings up when talking about her Stem Cell Benefit!

Also Jason guessed the prank show twist; his other guess was alien zoo, which has to be true too. Why else would you have tiny, cordoned off neighborhoods unless you're doing weird social experiments for alien enjoyment? All the demons (besides Shawn) seem obsessed with human culture (the Bad Place people love the Bachelor to the point where it even gets a mention in the official code, the Nixon tapes, jalapeņo poppers, beer, suspenders, Friends) and how people react to different situations/tortures. They invented Janet, but weren't able to make her a close enough approximation to real humans, despite 27 tries (Micheal even tinkers with her personality, but can't figure it out and wasn't able to predict her actions). The real Good Place is where they shuffle off all the perfect people because they're too boring to bother with. That's why they're willing to pour so much effort into a Bad Place for only four people' they're constantly searching for exciting ways to poke the anthill and even participate like in the Black Mirror episode White Bear, which Schur is definitely a fan of, because he did an episode himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its a little odd how easily Jason pulls off the stoic monk act early on knowing what we know about him now, but I think it happens in a short enough number of episodes that its not too odd. Like there's a couple of moments where he seems a little too "sage" but I think they did a solid job giving him silly excuses for it.

He did only keep up with it for a couple days and he was freaked out during the Ariana Grande bit. And speaking of episode one: "My parents were pretty crummy people, so they're probably both... maybe they're being used to torture each other, that would work!" It's amazing how much better at being Lost this show is than Lost. Also, the first shot is of Elenor opening her eyes and looking up. LOST.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CountFosco posted:

Yes, and of course the world of a Game of Thrones is actually a post-technological apocalypse scenario with dragons being the products of genetic engineering and magic being just manifestations of sci-fi telepathy, telekinesis, and other mind powers. Because we must blithely follow the phrase "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" even when said "magic" defies basic scientific foundations. Or we could just accept that this is a show which creates an ontology which allows for a being that transcends our material universe.

That's the plot of Adventure Time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I listed a ton of really specific examples why that would fit in with the show. The neighborhood revolves around only four "real" people and the rest are actors taking delight in torturing the protagonists, which is exactly the plot of that Black Mirror episode. Add that to the fact that Mike Schur wrote the back half of the season after doing his own Black Mirror episode, which itself is beat-for-beat identical in theme and detail to The Good Place, where a rigidly defined mathematical form of morality is forced on people who don't accept it. Jason himself says he thinks the world is an alien zoo or a prank show in episode four; why is it a stretch to think one half of his statement is right and the other is wrong, given the fact the whole show is steeped in ironic foreshadowing?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CountFosco posted:

It's also the plot of The Book of the New Sun, but that doesn't mean it's the plot of Game of Thrones.

I apologize for my earlier sarcasm, but I get very frustrated when people won't let fantasy be fantasy, the idea that there has to be a scientistic explanation for fantastical elements in fiction. It's the same mindset that leads people to believe that the supernatural events in the Shining are actually just in Jack Torrance's novel and not therefore "real."

Oh, maybe I wasn't clear that I don't necessarily think there are aliens on top of the demons. The demons could be literal aliens (they talk about Earth a lot), but they functionally are in their curiosity of and lack of understanding of the human characters.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What makes transdimensional time-manipulating memory-altering demons so far afield from "aliens"? Greek and Roman gods lived in the stars and manipulated human affairs because they were so transfixed by them, yet not understanding them.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can read about 90% and there's nothing crazy jumping out at me. Jason was always planned to have been mute it seems. Makes sense because Michael plants the idea in his head to start. Tahani was always planned to make Chidi choose between three potential soulmates (incl. Vicky).

Chidi: Writes soulless, meandering philosophy he believes is brilliant.

The key ones Michael blew:
Chidi to Elenor: Chidi will point out Eleanor's mistakes and occasionally provide her with a push to become better (which will never happen).

Jason to Eleanor: Jason will cause Eleanor to live in fear that his impending public confession will send her to The Bad Place.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 25, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah this stood out when I rewatched the first episode. Also the part when Michael's says something about 4 good people living next to each other, and how that makes him happy. I'm not going to rewatch the rest of the season but I like how they've been dropping hints the whole time and I missed it. However, Im sure if you told someone that theres a surprise ending to the season I bet 90% of people would guess it.

Anyway, good show.

I vaguely suspected the twist in the first few episodes, but that's really hard to reconcile with meeting Trevor and the gang and how well Eleanor fits in. From that point, right to the very second before the Michael laugh, I thought it was just a purgatory where you could actually earn your place.

I desperately need a gif of the one demon ripping on Michael, where he does that head wobble after saying "I love... uhhhhhh idiot humans"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Eleanor-Chidi: Eleanor will cause Chidi to live in an eternal ethical dilemma. [Remainder is unreadable]

theflyingexecutive posted:

Chidi to Elenor: Chidi will point out Eleanor's mistakes and occasionally provide her with a push to become better (which will never happen).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ancillary Character posted:

Tahani-Chidi: Tahani will provide Chidi with the [existence] of a third option on top of the other two Eleanors. Chidi will [cause] feelings of [unrequited] love for Tahani.

Oh and they didn't call Eleanor getting the hots for Tahani.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's the most satisfying rewatchable show ever, I think I'm on my fifth run.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

After he broke up with Whoopi Goldberg he described sex with her as being like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

Haha, my mother obliquely referenced this today and I had no idea what she was talking about

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Ok, so if Sean is Michael's boss what was that conversation they had about "I bet your boss would be mad" in the bedroom? That conversation doesn't make sense if they were boss/employee and were both in on it.

Also was Mindy in on it too?

Maybe he's being sarcastic? I think Sean is Michael's boss because Michael gets excited when he asks for more info about the plan and he's at the head of the table.

Here's a question, why does Michael's office have a security guard? Inter-demon conflict? Escapees?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mindy lived in the Medium Place for 30 years. Shawn made references to having not made a judgment in 29/30 years, implying this is the judgment and he is well-aware of the Medium Place. Trevor is on her orientation video; Trevor is in on Michael's plot They can use the walkie-talkie from one specific Bad Janet to one specific Good Janet, yet "don't know where they are". I'm guessing they did the four-hour countdown so they could force the fight where they have to decide who goes to the Bad Place, which (improvised!) could have occurred with or without Jason and Eleanor.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

This show has almost no fat. It's mind-boggling on my rewatches to see how nearly every line advances the plot, characters, or atmosphere. I had written off Kabletown for not wanting to try anything remotely unorthodox, but approving a high-concept, fully-serialized comedy that had Netflix written all over it is pretty daring. It's also the first example I can think of where someone honestly went out to carbon-copy one very specific style of storytelling (LOST), change the genre, format, ton, AND improve it in every single way. This could turn out to be one of the best shows ever.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Caphi posted:

Episode 1 rewatch report:
  • Even if we assume Michael was watching Eleanor during the entire party, some of the anomalies are from stuff he wasn't around for, most notably Ariana Grande. I guess it's all magic.

I think the whole place is rigged with cameras and/or magic.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Michael also told her she was in the Good Place. Everything Michael said before the reveal should be assumed to be a lie.

I wanna believe it's true just because Jason successfully guessed they were on a prank show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pineapple is ok on pizza but is has to be paired with something particularly salty or spicy because most pizza sauce is sweet af. Also a lot of people hate it because 95% of places that offer pineapple use syrupy canned pineapple and don't bother to grill or roast it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You mean a giant evil demon vs good demon vs human ontological sword fight? That's what I want

• Locked thread