Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

They say only the best of the best go to the Good Place.

The show presents a weird and unsettling view of the afterlife, and presumably it's going to tear down the concept over the season. We see Ted Danson kick a dog into the sun and then tell its owner it's not a real dog and it doesn't actually love her. This show seems willing to get a bit weird and dark.
I have the feeling that the show afterlife is a "let's the large number of people be happy"/"actually really forgiving and not judgmental" kind of place. I have the felling the good place is a "people who are so ethical most people can't stand them" ghetto for people so high on most morality rating they make people feel like poo poo by their simple presence or who would complain that the average human paradise for is NOT INCLUSIVE ENOUGH, TOO SEXIST or whatever is their cause. Or would complain that people "less deserving than themselves" would get any kind of reward in the afterlife. You wouldn't torture them for spending their life trying to be their best and then let them feel super angry that "less good" people get rewarded with a nice afterlife too. Better let them believe they are the top 1% everyone else is in hell and let them be happy. The bottom 1% place must look horrible. At least most "people" there are probably interacting with "people" working like that dog replica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

This would make sense with the "no cursing" clause.
The universal translation thing is also pretty telling. I bet racist people only see version of people from their favored ethnicity.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

I am here to learn about ethnics.
Is there a football team and a prom?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

This show has a really strong premise. They can go anywhere with it and make it funny. I'll be honest, I thought that was gonna be it's biggest fault but I was wrong.
Yes there are so many ways they could have misused their whole show afterlife concept and ruined their own show and they clearly aren't doing that and it's pretty pretty good i am surprised.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

I wanna call them Realanor and Bellanor but whenever I start to type it I can almost see "Cutesy Portmanteau: -15.837" appear on a screen somewhere.
I kinda hope the journos who created the brexit portmanteau (because politics needed brangolina-like portmanteau) will end up in the bad place.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I'll take political portmanteaus like "Brexit" every single day, and twice on Sundays, if it means we can stop using "-gate" as a suffix for political stories.
Lol when the media add a -gate suffix behind some word, most of the time they will always put the word scandal behind it so people don't get confused by the "-gate" thing. So everything is the "-gate scandal". Thank you for reminding me that the "Gategate scandal" or "the Monicagate scandal" or "the Panamagate scandal" were scandals, i wouldn't have guessed, media. gently caress you Watergate hotel.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oasx posted:

I disagree, Tahani was set up to be this patronising snob in the first episode, but her backstory and behaviour during the series so far shows that she is truly a really good person. When she talks about celebrities all the time it isn't to brag but simply because they were part of her lifestyle.
Also notice that she is constantly setting up parties for people, that is again because that is part of her lifestyle and how she shows people that she cares.
She is a petty person that do a lot of good for all the wrong reasons (mostly her crazy father/mother-fueled jealous resentment against her sister). She is a relatively likable flawed character despite jealousy being her main motivation. In the end, she just want to be loved too. That's hardly horrible. She definitively want the love (and probably need the support) of her actual soulmate, a Buddhist monk, which may be pretty bad for DJ Jason.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 5, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oasx posted:

Real Eleanor may have had a lot of good thoughts and gone through hardship, but that doesn't mean that she actually really helped a lot of people, Tahani could very well deserve to be in the good place more, we just naturally overlook that because she was born rich and Is really pretty.
Real Eleanor was helping orphan-aged kids and is super honest, so it's probably a lot of points in "made sure some kids life didn't turn to poo poo". Also she died trying to save other Eleanor. But yes the poo poo that happened to her make Tahani's privileged life as a "born wealthy philanthropist" look horribly unfair. She still did raise a lot of money for causes, i suspect to a crazy obsessional level to "show her sister she was better". Like I said: selfish reasons, good results.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I like it's obvious it's hell when even their lovely devil office neutron coffee got a weird taste to gently caress it.

• Locked thread