Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This surprised me.

End of the third episode is starting to confirm my suspicion that NONE of the people are supposed to be there. They are all just playing the part. Now this doesn't seem to be part of Michael's design, so either it's part of Michael's boss's system and he's not in on it, or it's going to turn out that some guy in a different department has been fudging numbers to meet quotas. Which is what I'm really hoping.

Janet is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Some of the people have to think they belong otherwise when Eleanor came out to Chidi he would have gone "Really? Me too!" But it may be a situation where those people just think they're good enough and have big enough egos to not question it.

That's a good point. I guess I don't think that everyone has a case of mistaken identity like Eleanor or Jianyu. But it definitely seems like Tahani gamed the system somehow, because like someone else said, she comes off as a pathological liar.

Chidi's an interesting case. He seems nice enough, but at the same time, he's a professor of ethics who isn't even sure that you can teach people to become good. Which means what, he spent his life educating people without trying to turn them into good people? His life's work is a book that was never published and, according to Michael, is incomprehensible. So I'm not saying he's a bad person, but it seems like at the very least he's an example of how the evaluation system works in kind of a strange way. I.e. did he even help anyone during is life, if was he just a nice person who didn't do anything wrong and thus accumulated a massive number of point without ever sticking his neck out for anything.

I guess it's a bit cynical to suspect that no one belongs there, but Michael himself punted a puppy into the sun because he thought it was somehow a thread to his perfect society. Surely that type of action would have a severe penalty if taken by a mortal during their life...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't think our kicks would reach, really.

Well right, but surely you get what I'm saying.

edit: I expect the shows themes to be more about how dogmatic, objective evaluation of the goodness of people is a flawed concept and less about how everyone is actually lovely. Like I kind of wonder if Michael's boss just told him what he wanted to hear with regards things worked. Obviously that's what Michael does for his citizens (like with the dog construct).

Like I can just picture the scene where Michael is questioning God about how he knows everyone is going to the right fit for his perfect neighborhood and God is just like "because there's a very complicated evaluation process, stop worrying about it and finish the darn thing".

Regardless, there're a lot of possibilities, and the humor so far has been pretty great, so I look forward to seeing them explore this broken-ash afterlife.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 24, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I feel like you've never met a humanities grad student, Snak.

Why is that? Because of my comments about Chidi, or because of my comments about Tahani?

edit: Oh, you mean because I said that Chidi didn't really do anything, when he would have actually gone and done plenty of good works just in the process of getting his degree? Which I think he mentioned in the pilot? Yes, I thought of that, but it seemed slightly contradicted by episode 3, where Michael said he had really only done this one thing, and it seemed like he really didn't like doing much of anything that involved working or traveling. I assumed this was simply a retcon because of how characters change from a pilot to a show.

No, I haven't met a humanities grad student, I'm just going off of the show's logic. The way that things work in real-life is rarely relevant to how they work in tvland.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 24, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still really hoping for the addition of a character, maybe in the next season, who is involved in the scoring process and screwed a bunch of things up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You have to do dishes in heaven? gently caress that poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm constantly surprised that, despite the sitcom setup, each episode seems to be a direct continuation of the previous one. This amount of serialization is getting pretty common in dramas, but I didn't expect it in a sitcom.

Little bit of Cyrano de Bergerac going on with Chidi and Jian Yu and Tahani.

Another great episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I wouldn't be disappointed if this was a one-season show. The pace of things means they could wrap up the storyline in such a timeframe.

They could honestly go in any direction with it too, though. Like, an obvious direction to go would be to have Michael get fired/demoted, changing his role in community. You do a whole season about that. It's such a character driven comedy that the actual circumstances are barely relevant.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Froyo apologist spotted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Real ice cream, yes, but the vast majority of ice cream in the US is soft serve, which is about as far away from real ice cream as froyo is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

Glad we sorted that debate. Now let's ruin the next joke on the agenda just a little.

Why did Michael think ROCKS were to blame for the cosmic imbalance?

The joke is that rocks in the good place work like Christmas lights used to: If you have one bad rock, the whole chain is bad. This is because the backend data handling for rocks is implemented using a linked list, but the rendering objects for rocks are implemented separately and linked by a cross-reference table.

Okay, which joke is next?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hope Adam Scott plays Gabriel, Michael's longtime rival, who runs a very different type of neighborhood. And also he has his own Janet.

edit: But to actually comment on the episode: At first it seemed like a big deal that we were seeing Chidi flashbacks. And that was nice. But wow did they upstage that quickly.

Janet has been my fave since the second episode, and she is strongly defending that position.

This show is real good.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 22, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I'm kind of expecting the opposite. I'm thinking that Eleanor being in the wrong place is easy more embarrassing to someone else and Michael might want to help cover it up, because if his boss finds out about it it will be really bad for everyone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't mean embarrassing in that sense. I mean "if god finds out that a mistake like this was made, he'll demolish everything, fire everyone, and start from scratch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Michael seems selfless enough to do it regardless of whether doing so gets him tormented so long as the souls in his neighbourhood remain safe.

But that's what I'm saying. If someone upstairs would consider the entire neighborhood contaminated and ditch the whole thing, then Michael would have incentive to cover it up. Wacky hijinx ensue.

You know, maybe the name Michael is a red herring and this actually Lucifer's origin story.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's interesting that nobody sold Jianyu out, as it's unlikely that Eleanor was a mistake and he wasn't. Eleanor being sent to the bad place and he still pretending to be good shouldn't have fixed anything, and Chidi doesn't owe him anything - he only told Eleanor he'd always stand by her regardless.

They were essentially all saved by the file showing up at the 11th hour, right before Michael questioned Chidi.

Chidi's appeal to Michael was a really great scene though. Michael as a character is really great. Because he's essentially someone who has a great deal of responsibility and authority, but he's really just learning how it applies to human beings. But it's a process we get to see. From the first few episodes, I really thought he was going to be a kind of lame "wacky boss/fish-out-of-water" character, but he's so much more.

I'm still trying to figure out if Tahani is really supposed to have been a real celebrity who knows Kanye and Taylor and Beyonce, or if she's some kind of pathological liar. The cube turned green after she said that, but the way she phased it was something like "I have been so distressed since [event]" which could be interpreted as true, even if the details of that even are not...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

Agreed about real Eleanor in the bad place being a perfect idea for an episode.

I want a second scandal to happen at the Watergate Hotel so people can brainlessly call it Watergate-gate, and if it that happens then there's no limit to the absurdity that journos will come up with. So on future wikipedia you'd end up with a page about "The 4th Watergate Scandal, also known as Watergategategategate"

They would just call it hotelgate.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

If you're not happy to receive free pizza, regardless of toppings, you should go to the bad place.

But a hundred free pizzas is just wasteful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Literally everyone was trolling the main four the entire time. That's amazing.

Edit: including not being able to swear.

I hooe we get more Michael flashbacks or work scenes in season 2. I've been hoping the whole time for scenes showing more of the bureaucracy involved, and they finally did it!

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 20, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Their version of the bad place still seems way better than the real bad place. You'd think they would be fine with socal awkwardness as torture instead of having their skins ripped off forever.

Now I am imagining some kinda, I dunno, hipster Cenobites.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

What a great show. A few additional episodes centered around Chidi lecturing on a different topic in ethics would have been nice, as I liked how the episodes further explored those concepts through the plot. I guess they only had so many episodes to work with. Jason's unexpected mastery of Consequentialism was excellent.

Also Bad Janet must be real (ie. not a bad place employee playing a role) as they were able to use the Janet-specific walkie-talkie feature to communicate through Good Janet.

There's no reason to think we won't get more Chidi lectures.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are so many little hints.

Eleanor's comment about how Chidi shouldn't need glasses is a perfect one.

Also, when Janet said that it would be literally (physically?) impossible for her to visit Jason when he went to the Bad Place, this raised a red flag for me: Bad Janet visits all the time. I'm wondering if Janet meant it would be impossible because Jason cannot go to the bad place, he's already there. She is literal that way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The twist really does explain Eleanor's house. I just couldn't fathom "real" Eleanor being into those terrible clown paintings.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

I think we should call them Fake Real Elanor and Real Fake Elanor, just to make things a little more clear.

If this doesn't become a thing in season 2, I will be sad.

Re: that smile: If you had told me they used visual effects to achieve that smile, I would believe them. It was that crazy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Janet seems to be an actual utility used by cosmic beings in their work. You could make a fake good Janet, but maybe it was a lot easier to just use a real one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure he thinks it was his best con ever "Check it out: I discovered if I'm just really sleepy, I look wise! So I've been playing madden all night instead of sleeping to make myself smarter. Oh and smoking a bunch of weed".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's completely crazy to think that aliens will ever factor in to this show at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

What makes transdimensional time-manipulating memory-altering demons so far afield from "aliens"? Greek and Roman gods lived in the stars and manipulated human affairs because they were so transfixed by them, yet not understanding them.

Conceptually? nothing.

Thematically? Everything.

You'd be mixing two overlapping allegorical frameworks for no clear purpose besides being a twist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That makes me about as uninterested in Fargo as I could possibly be.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

clown shoes posted:

Ted Danson is actually the devil, right? That's the long game.

Ted Danson is actually the devil, who has been placed in a construct by God to teach him to be better. His job is actually fake in the same way the good place is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like that they don't go overboard with special effects.

I actually think that crazy poo poo happening in the pilot was like, the weakest part.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

Real Eleanor would insist on going as one of them and then Bambajan would burst in as scheduled with the one crazy trick he found (the Bad Place hates it!) in the rules that will save them all. Real Eleanor would disappear for a while and then probably pop up again a few years down the line whenever needed to gently caress with them again.

Yeah. Bambajan was a huge troll. We didn't know this at the time he burst in, so we just thought he was being regular confused rejected. Since he's a demon who's in on it, he must have been extra confused why no one cared about his solution where no one had to to go to the bad place.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, Bambadjan was meant to introduce a convenient plot device to keep them all together, but Eleanor shut that down. The real question is how they would've kept the drama going with Eleanor and Jason outed but still allowed to stay in the "Good" Place. I guess it depends on the details of the one crazy trick.

There are actually a lot of options for that. Like, they could have had Eleanor do something that Tahani does all the time, but because Elenor shows the most improvement, it count for a whole bunch of points. Like have Eleanor throw a really mediocre party but get a bunch of points for caring.

Conversly, they could have made up some bullshit about how, because Jason is so stupid, there's no actual malice or ill will behind any of his actions. That is, like Eleanor's good actions didn't count because of corrupt motive, Jason's bad actions wouldn't count because of lack of corrupt motive.

Neither of those make real sense, which is why they would drive everyone nuts.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For a long time, "normal" people thought that pinapple on pizza was some rare abomination that no one really, actually like outside of some weird hosed up freaks. But because of social media, they have realized that those people do exist and are serious about the qualities of pineapple on pizza. Horrified, the "normal" people are spurred to vocalize their disgust as their way of life is threatened.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, we know that Janet can hack the train and make it go where she wants, and it seems to me that if the train goes to the middle place, it can also go to the good place. So I expect an arc where they escape from the bad place and show up in the good place, and then probably actually cause some chaos, since they will be bad people loose in the good place. Like what Michael tricked them into thinking was happening in season 1, but for real.

edit: ^ I remember that commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This isn't related to anything, but I loved the little bit in the flashback where Michael was inspired to create "The Good Place" by his coworker complaining about vanilla flavored antimatter coffee. That little lightbulb moment is great.

• Locked thread