Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

I can't stand Sugar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Dugong posted:

That episode with the Not Merge Feast has to be one of the biggest dickmoves by production right? I haven't seen all the seasons but the challenge of balancing a pole on each hand was used for individual immunity in HvV and I'm guessing was planned to in Gabon. The onion alliance were likeable and I can't stand Sugar, Susie, etc.

They'd done it before. Twice! Thailand had a fake merge, and the first post merge immunity challenge in Fiji essentially split the contestants into temporary tribes. I maintain that Michelle Yi is the single hardest dry gently caress in survivor history and deserves another chance.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dugong posted:

The onion alliance were likeable and I can't stand Sugar, Susie, etc.

drat this is the wrongest opinion of all time

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Marcus getting voted off because Crystal happened to know his cousin or whatever + the ensuing dismay/downfall of the other lovely Onions is one of the great moments in Survivor history

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

xbilkis posted:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

xbilkis posted:

It's only half wrong. Everyone on Gabon after the merge is unlikeable except like Matty and Randy in a curmudgeonly way.

But the most unlikeable is certainly Corinne.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dugong posted:

The onion alliance were likeable and I can't stand Sugar, Susie, etc.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This is your biyearly reminder or whatever that Ken spent that entire season groping Matty.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

#1 all time survivor showmance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If I remember right Charlie also asked Bob a question about all the spooning they did.

It's actually amazing the only returnees have been Sugar, Randy and Corrine. Pretty much everyone post-merge (and maybe Ace) has some potential coming back, but I think especially Matty. Maybe Crystal just so we can watch her utterly fail at anything physical again.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/Vfc3qCD.mp4
I was watching an old Eminem music video and there is a sequence where he wins a challenge by licking the log.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

garthoneeye posted:

It's only half wrong. Everyone on Gabon after the merge is unlikeable except like Matty and Randy in a curmudgeonly way.

But the most unlikeable is certainly Corinne.

How do you all remember all this?

I've watched every season and I can't remember poo poo. I don't know which season Gabon is, I vaguely remember someone named Corinne and Matty, I recognized Randy's picture above but I remember nothing about him.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
For those waiting until a new survivor starts have a look at Hunted(US), a cheesey reality show where teams of 2 have to evade 'authorities'(former army, police etc) for 28 days to win $250k. Rob's supplemental podcasts for the 2 eps have been great so far and the second double ep is a big step up from the pilot.

As for Survivor New Zealand despite being filmed right after the AUS season no airdate has been set. Not listed in the schedule's released so far, April or later.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Teckiwi posted:

For those waiting until a new survivor starts have a look at Hunted(US), a cheesey reality show where teams of 2 have to evade 'authorities'(former army, police etc) for 28 days to win $250k. Rob's supplemental podcasts for the 2 eps have been great so far and the second double ep is a big step up from the pilot.

As for Survivor New Zealand despite being filmed right after the AUS season no airdate has been set. Not listed in the schedule's released so far, April or later.

I watched the first season of Hunted UK but gave up during season 2. How's the US version so far?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Orange Sunshine posted:

How do you all remember all this?

I've watched every season and I can't remember poo poo. I don't know which season Gabon is, I vaguely remember someone named Corinne and Matty, I recognized Randy's picture above but I remember nothing about him.

I have a decent memory for most of the seasons.

Gabon is memorable because of how much of a poo poo-show it was. The players who were traditionally strategic fell right at the merge, the player with the most control in the game was ridiculously capricious, the winner is arguably the worst Survivor winner, and almost everyone was needlessly rude and actively unlikeable at some point. Corinne was so mean that it almost became sad. At the reunion Jeff asked her about it, and she basically said if she wasn't mean she wouldn't have any other personality.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also Corinne is addicted to attention and is the worst part of every live show.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

garthoneeye posted:

I have a decent memory for most of the seasons.

Gabon is memorable because of how much of a poo poo-show it was. The players who were traditionally strategic fell right at the merge, the player with the most control in the game was ridiculously capricious, the winner is arguably the worst Survivor winner, and almost everyone was needlessly rude and actively unlikeable at some point. Corinne was so mean that it almost became sad. At the reunion Jeff asked her about it, and she basically said if she wasn't mean she wouldn't have any other personality.

Bob was okay as a winner, probably lower-tier because he only made it to FTC because of Sugar but he wasn't exactly carried.

What always gets me about Gabon is that Susie almost won. I mean on paper her resume isn't the worst (swung to take out a key player right before merge, won the last immunity), but when watching the show nobody would have pegged her as runner-up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Piell posted:

Also Corinne is addicted to attention and is the worst part of every live show.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

Dugong posted:

I watched the first season of Hunted UK but gave up during season 2. How's the US version so far?

The first ep is rough, the second double ep has me hooked now so I'll follow it. iirc it's a limited run of 8 episodes until Survivor: Game Changers begins. Have not seen the UK version.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Teckiwi posted:

The first ep is rough, the second double ep has me hooked now so I'll follow it. iirc it's a limited run of 8 episodes until Survivor: Game Changers begins. Have not seen the UK version.
I was sold by the first episode. It's extremely dumb and fun.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I was sold by the first episode. It's extremely dumb and fun.

There was a stand out pair of friends that made the first UK season. They illustrated how insane being on the run can make you.They ended up splitting up but both made it to the end because they were so unpredictable. One of them decides to blends into a village fete by getting a clown facepaint.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Teckiwi posted:

I like Hunted and if this has to be the de-facto thread for it's discussion so be it.

One thing that is glaringly apparent is that using most any form of communication to contact friends and family should be avoided at all costs, especially cell phones. The show doesn't really explain it but aren't there different legal rules to set up a wiretap via a conventional land line phone versus cellular? I could be wrong but I think there is.

Using any wireless device is open to interception from literally anyone if they have the will to go and find it. If it uses radio frequency it can be hacked and tracked, period. It's always the case. I've known a couple HAM operators that opened my eyes to it first hand well before cell phones were the ubiquitous societal norm. It's dead simple and as the show clearly shows it spells the downfall for fugitives almost immediately.

The Wolves seem to be the most clever as far as staying off the grid or by using TOR but even they hosed up with their letter mailings once handwriting experts confirmed those letters were penned from the same source. Once the Hunters get the contents of even one of those letters, their entire trust network has been breached.

While I'm not even remotely part of the :tinfoil: crowd, the last episode where the Hunters cracked an email account by correctly guessing the security questions answered by the fugitives makes me proud that I never answer those requirements correctly. Even if you knew my first pet's name or even my mother's maiden name I have and would never have those replies be those actual answers. No faceless website needs to even have further data of what my mother's maiden name is. They likely already know it anyways. There is no point to confirm it even further.

All of those security answers I use are a series of passphrases with semi-complex or purposely wrong spellings, use of random capital letters, punctuations and numbers that me and only me know the sequence of.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Long-time lurker, and it's this show that's getting me to post.

So far I think six teams have been introduced, with three left to enter. Found it interesting that Team Airsoft's run has had a count of days being hunted, but none of the others that I've noticed. The Wolves are trying the secret email account with all comma staying in draft, but I think with so many others having access may mess up that system, especially after the USPS turning over scans of the envelopes. The HQ analysts don't know the exact content of the letters, but enough to spook the Wolves and probably burn all their current resources. And it was the pair of Pakistani friends that were using TOR, but sounds like they're possibly compromised too.

Been a fun show to have in the background so far. I think the ex-gang member & his g/f might do okay if it turns out their possible slip ups have been more deliberate than shown so far.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

That's not Corinne. She wasn't on the Heroes/Villains cast.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's Stephenie LaGrossa.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The line between Trump to Mark Burnett to Survivor to me makes me feel uncomfortable.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lampsacus posted:

The line between Trump to Mark Burnett to Survivor to me makes me feel uncomfortable.

Are you worried he's going to make Survivor great again?

Build a wall across the beach and keep the two tribes from merging?

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

I dislike Trump intensely, and I'm a big fan of Survivor.

Whatever excruciatingly tenuous connection exists between the two doesn't trouble me one bit. That way lies madness.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
since this is also the Hunted thread I binge watched the 2 UK seasons available and they were great, I like the way they end each season.

Presumably they place the hunter teams too far away on the final day to catch any of the contestants who were undiscovered throughout the morning? Both times the hunters never had a chance to catch them as they receive the extraction location too late to arrive on time, would outrage the audience if the hunters found the extraction by dumb luck/an educated guess and it was then impossible to win for any team.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Survivor cast being officially released today. That's the start of the pre-season. :newlol:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 8, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What the hell happened to JT? :psyduck:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nothing?

Jeff on idols:

quote:

“Given that it is Game Changers, we’re going to change the game constantly. So when it comes to idols, there will be no consistency,” says the host. “Usually there’s a theme. You have to find them in a certain way or work a certain amount of effort to get it. Not this time. One might drop in your lap, one might be at Tribal, one might be at the bottom of the well, one might be at a challenge. It depends how often idols get played for how far down the list we’ll get. Because if idols are held until the end, then we won’t see anything and we’ll use them next year. But if things go well and people start playing their idols — which I think will happen — it could be a really fun and crazy adventure to watch them and what they have to do to get them.”

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Max: Jeff Probst sounds like Kellyanne Conway justifying the theme of this season

https://twitter.com/fymaxwell/status/829387407455686656

Michele: What the gently caress Jeff?

https://twitter.com/meeshfitz/status/829392057781407745

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"They were willing to make a move that might change the game" means nothing. They either changed the course of the game or its a hypothetical situation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If we're comparing Jeff Probst to Kellyanne Conway I feel like we may be losing perspective.

Its just Survivor. They have a dumb theme every season that never 100% makes sense. Jeff always calls it the greatest thing ever and when he doesn't we all say "oh, crap, this season is gonna suck if Jeff isn't hyping it as the best thing ever."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Poque posted:

What the hell happened to JT? :psyduck:

tocantins was filmed 8 years ago!!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They are going to have to get Tai (Taj?) another pet chicken or he just won't be the same.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Shneak posted:

"They were willing to make a move that might change the game" means nothing. They either changed the course of the game or its a hypothetical situation.

Some don't even fit that extremely generous definition of "game changer". Caleb was medivaced before even attending a tribal council and Sierra was the epitome of "ride along at the bottom of an alliance until it's my turn to be voted out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm thinking a lot of odd picks were last minute grabs after a few potential returnees said no.

Like Wentworth.

• Locked thread