Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I loved the "stop being so likable" line near the end. Like yeah that guy was a weirdo who fetishized black culture, but he seemed genuinely aware of cultural appropriation and that kinda stuff, like he was kind of aware of his privilege. It would have been to easy to have him dropping casual n-words like he actually thought he was black.

That quote especially reminded me of the whole 2014 grammy Macklemore text fiasco. Even if you have the best of intentions it can get very weird very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Veskit posted:

I don't really have perspective on this, but for white people is this show empathetic enough for yall to get it, or is it just a different kind of experience do you think? Like was the part where Earn had no interest in Africa confusing, understanding or what?

IE I've confused a lot of white people not giving a gently caress about Africa and being generally angry about that question.

I got it, especially since I could empathize with Earn seeing his race being used as a hobby and the notion being grating or possibly even offensive. I think the line Earn gave to Craig summed up his not knowing where in Africa he came from well- "There was this thing called slavery.", which combined with a possible general lack of interest in where he came from, had both slipped Craig's mind in his excitement.

The only way I can tangentially relate to it is I've seen people regardless of race not have much interest in their heritage; then, there are those who use it when it's convenient. I have a friend who had no interest in her Jewish heritage (I'd known her since 1995 and neither she nor her family ever mentioned it in conversation, so I didn't know until last year) until she found out she was running out of time for a free Birthright trip to Israel, at which point she became Jewish (in name only) as a means to satisfy her wanderlust. She uses it more as a souvenir at this point than anything else ("look, I made my name on Instagram in Hebrew and got a tattoo which I hope doesn't say 'I'm a dumbass' because I can't read the language!").

I think the thing I like the most about this show (and Black Jesus, which seems like a lighter, less serious version of this) is while I can't directly relate to what they're doing and where they've been, all the main characters are sympathetic as hell and you like them so well you want them to succeed.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 27, 2016

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Vegetable posted:

It's like that last episode with the feminist prof. She's not the caricature most comedies would deploy. This show embraces complexity and that's what's giving it its unique voice.

The moment she and Paperboi found common ground in freedom of speech made that episode for me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It felt clear to me from how the show portrayed it that within the context of the episode the idea of an American black person going to Africa was more something a white person idealising/otherising black people and black culture would think of than just a regular black person living their life. And especially with the idea of not knowing their actual roots due to slavery it comes off as thoughtless and amusing. I really liked the writing for that character, as mentioned previously he does seem genuinely aware of his privilege but is almost rubbing his empathy in everyone's face. The slam poem was perhaps a bit much but it was funny as hell so it worked imo.

I love this show

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

He would make for a great character on The Good Place. Well intentioned but a total weirdo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

youre not aware of your privilege at all if youre holding a juneteenth ball in a wannabe plantation house staffed with all black servers wearing tuxes while work songs are sung by guys dressed up as slaves and youre reciting slam poetry about white oppression and youre white as hell. not to mention the slave ship buffet lol

the whole point of the episode seemed to me that these people were celebrating the abolition of slavery by basically roleplaying as antebellum planter aristocrats

it was a pretty good take on southern high society bullshit

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 27, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

The only way I can tangentially relate to it is I've seen people regardless of race not have much interest in their heritage; then, there are those who use it when it's convenient. I have a friend who had no interest in her Jewish heritage (I'd known her since 1995 and neither she nor her family ever mentioned it in conversation, so I didn't know until last year) until she found out she was running out of time for a free Birthright trip to Israel, at which point she became Jewish (in name only) as a means to satisfy her wanderlust. She uses it more as a souvenir at this point than anything else ("look, I made my name on Instagram in Hebrew and got a tattoo which I hope doesn't say 'I'm a dumbass' because I can't read the language!").
This is half of people who do Birthright. I have no religious beliefs and frankly think Israel is pretty terrible but I'm considering it because hey, free trip!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

youre not aware of your privilege at all if youre holding a juneteenth ball in a wannabe plantation house staffed with all black servers wearing tuxes while work songs are sung by guys dressed up as slaves and youre reciting slam poetry about white oppression and youre white as hell. not to mention the slave ship buffet lol

the whole point of the episode seemed to me that these people were celebrating the abolition of slavery by basically roleplaying as antebellum planter aristocrats

it was a pretty good take on southern high society bullshit

The loving Cocktail list had me dead. Anyone have a screen cap of that list?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Dexo posted:

The loving Cocktail list had me dead. Anyone have a screen cap of that list?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Those are the exact cocktails a "woke" white dude would have at a Juneteenth get together.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Veskit posted:

I don't really have perspective on this, but for white people is this show empathetic enough for yall to get it, or is it just a different kind of experience do you think? Like was the part where Earn had no interest in Africa confusing, understanding or what?

IE I've confused a lot of white people not giving a gently caress about Africa and being generally angry about that question.

The show very clearly has specific experiences and references that I don't/can't personally relate to, but it's empathetic as hell and the themes are almost always universal to everyday human struggles and joys and banalities kind of poo poo.

I'm a white history phd student who mostly focuses on African American experiences and I've met that white guy way too many times in my field at conferences and workshops. He is like the worst nightmare of how I might ever be perceived. That guy is way more prevalent in anthropology or English than history, though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I like how a couple are also badly named drinks even aside from the puns. Underground Rumroad doesn't have rum in it. 40 Acres and a Moscow Mule has vodka but no ginger beer, which is the defining ingredient of a mule.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Plantation Master Poison is amazing

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
"Wait, why do you have your sister's underwear?"

Appreciated that the rich wife obliviously dropped the T-word and her husband cringed.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Paperboi has the best facial expressions.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Season Finale". :(

This show needs to come back as 13, hour-long episodes next year.
Hell no. 30 minute episodes keeps the writing tight.

Jerkface posted:

At one point she says something like "thanks mom"

"Thanks, Mon."

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm a white guy that grew up going to an all-black high school. My dad went to an all-black high school before me. My best friend is black. My current girlfriend and my previous girlfriend are both black. I've seen that white guy too many times. It's cringe worthy but at the same time his intentions are good.

The whole not wanting to go to Africa thing is pretty obvious though. My ancestors are from Syria, I sure as hell ain't going there.

I do work in a South African restaurant though and I get a kick out of telling people my white chef is African-American.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

Hell no. 30 minute episodes keeps the writing tight.

Agreed. I think an hour (or 45 min, whatever) would draw it out a bit too much.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I've been looking online for those bars that Paper Boi spit at Alfred in the club.

Frankly, if there was a mix tape out there with those bars, it WOULD be the hottest poo poo on the street.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The podcast About Race discussed this show on its latest episode and it gets to a lot of the questions about the show's tone, style, identity, etc. Give it a listen.

(also subscribe to it because it's great and funny and super insightful)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Dead Snoopy posted:

I've been looking online for those bars that Paper Boi spit at Alfred in the club.

Frankly, if there was a mix tape out there with those bars, it WOULD be the hottest poo poo on the street.

Most of the song's on the show are Donald Glover's. You can tell it's him when the Paper Boi song is playing during the credits at the end of the first episode. And the Justin Beiber song is Glover singing. So I'm guessing all these songs will show up on his next album or he'll release a soundtrack when the season ends.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVtrghW5Y4&t=105s

(really hope you're right)

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 29, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Daric posted:

Most of the song's on the show are Donald Glover's. You can tell it's him when the Paper Boi song is playing during the credits at the end of the first episode. And the Justin Beiber song is Glover singing. So I'm guessing all these songs will show up on his next album or he'll release a soundtrack when the season ends.

It's actually Donald's brother that raps the Paper Boi songs.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's actually Donald's brother that raps the Paper Boi songs.

Is it really? They sound exactly the same, that's amazing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Daric posted:

Is it really? They sound exactly the same, that's amazing

That's what Brian Tyree Henry said

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So like where's the line for white people appreciating black culture? Couple Ta-Nehisi Coates books on the bookshelf but maybe no slave ship buffet platters?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

prom candy posted:

So like where's the line for white people appreciating black culture? Couple Ta-Nehisi Coates books on the bookshelf but maybe no slave ship buffet platters?

I think not condescendingly white-splaining about black people TO black people is a reasonable line.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

prom candy posted:

Don't act like you loving get it

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

prom candy posted:

Carlton Banks is the blackest you can act. Anything beyond that is verboten

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Carlton Banks is the blackest you can act. Anything beyond that is verboten

i wish i could dance like him

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Atlanta: 'Free chicken sandwich day, nigga.'"

(Nelly' Ride Wit Me plays) "Yo, this Beyonce's best song!".

Going to be a long 42 weeks. :(

E- The dynamic between Earn and Vanessa is one of the best things about this show.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 2, 2016

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
elevators!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What if we just found out that Ja Rule was a dog the whole time? :aaaaa:

Edit: this was a real good episode altogether

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 2, 2016

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

This is a good show and I hope the quality can continue, and strike a balance between message, story, and weirdness.

I still can't thank my high school friend enough for giving me his ATLiens CD way back. Just some clueless boys way up near the mountains in :canada:.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Man if Van told me I could stay the night my rear end would never leave

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
This whole series has been fantastic. I'll say that comparisons such as "Twin Peaks with rappers" or "Spike Lee directed Eyes wide Shut" are doing it a diservice though, if this show has one defining quality is that it's totally it's own thing. It borrows a bit from the Louie sales pitch (as a light story-driven comedy that feels lived in and based on honest personal experiences) but is there anything you can really compare it to?

With the year marked by the very derivative Stranger Things, it's really refreshing to watch Atlanta, never know what to expect from its plot or its characters, and still feel incredibly satisfied by the overall quality of the whole show. With Dong Lover playing some superhero sidekick soon I hope they can keep up with that quality next season (and get a longer running length, some episodes feel like they could have been way longer than 25 mns).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

White Rabbit posted:

"Spike Lee directed Eyes wide Shut"

thats a quote from the show, no ones comparing it to eyes wide shut lol

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
That makes more sense actually. I think "Twin Peaks with rappers" is how the creators themselves described the show though. Well it got me interested in it for some reason, but I'm glad it turned out another way.

Invisible cars and nutella sandwiches, not loving murder mysteries with no pay-offs.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Oh poo poo, there's no reason to attack Twin Peaks and Stranger Things just to say you like Atlanta.

:smith:

I do agree though that there is nothing like this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Daric posted:

Man if Van told me I could stay the night my rear end would never leave

That storage unit looked prettttttty tight though.

• Locked thread