Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
'Addiction' to striking a public posture of outrage already has a name: narcissism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ddraig posted:

If you fundamentally believe that all people are created equal then I really don't know how you can live in the modern world and not be outraged. The alternative is despair, and anger at the very least has historically been a catalyst for change.

I'm always suspicious of global One Percenters (namely, Anglophones with the leisure and means to Post for hours every day on a comedy website) who make a display of being the angriest, most outraged people in the world ... on behalf of other people, naturally - those not smart enough to know how outraged they should be. That's not to say that the alternative is apathy. On the contrary - the alternative is action. Outrage can be a motivator for action, but mere exhibitionist outrage is nothing but narcissistic virtue signaling.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

You really think one percenters post here?

By being a native English speaker, from Canada, and having the leisure to post thousands of times on a website like this, you are globally a One Percenter.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

McDowell posted:

What action taken would you suggest, TheImmigrant? Boycotts? Divestments? Sanctions?

BDS groupies are a bunch of poseurs.

I focus on where I can be most effective. With the training and professional license I have, that's obvious. Last year, I logged almost 80 hours of pro bono work on behalf of indigent clients and other causes I deem to be worthy - I'm on track to do the same this year, because I'm a sucker. It's an average of just over 1.5 hours a week, but at my normal billing rate it adds up.

Also, I've decided to begin calling strangers 'racist' on Internet forum SomethingAwful, so that I can be truly virtuous.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

McDowell posted:

You sound pretty pleased with yourself, like a narcissist.

Okay.

What do you do to Make a Difference, beyond the very important work of Raising Awareness here?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

McDowell posted:

lol ~make a difference~ through lawyering. People who really try to be different get crucified, this planet is being recycled. Its cute that you give a person with pneumonia a hankie and fancy yourself as a great healer. Heck you can even bill for it, how magnanimous, time is money!

I picture you smoking a Gauloise with a sneer from under your beret as you typed this. Such an exquisitely affected pessimism you have.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by denigrating the act of doing ~2 weeks of free work. It's not like dude claimed to be a world-changer.

Hell no, it's not changing the world. Most years, it means preventing the removal (we used to call it deportation) from the US of a couple of aliens, or doing an adjustment of status (green card) for someone who overstayed a visa for ten years and began a family in the US. Removal defense is expensive if you're paying sticker for it - you're looking at easily $10,000 if you litigate it to an individual hearing.

ICE is merciless once an alien is in removal proceedings. When screening, I see dozens of possible clients who deserve to stay in the US. The only way they can is with competent legal representation, and most can't afford it. I get loving angry at some of the cases, and there's something I can do about it.

It's not 'raising awareness' with likeminded people on the Internet, but it's something. So gently caress you, Ddraig, you utter poseur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

"Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

-A Noted BLM Loudmouth

Or, to rephrase, "The good is the enemy of the perfect."

Losers gonna lose.

• Locked thread