Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think for some people, reading about issues that make them angry is their only point of contact with issues that they care about in their personal bubble of influence.

I, for instance, live in a town of 1800 people with an almost 95% majority of Republican voters. I will never talk politics with any of them, nor will I ever make a difference in their political ideology, but I have an aggregate source of news links in D&D to read up on that makes me pissed as hell about Republican policies and current actions. These encompass issues that personally affect myself (QUILTBAG legislature at the state and national level, marijuana legislation, school funding that benefits rural communities) and also issues that do not, but I'm still heavily invested in (LSS introduction of refugees and immigrants, Dakota Pipepline protests) but I'm still required to seek information outside of the normal information circle provided by my area, these same sources most people in my area would deem not only sufficient, but "varied"

I don't think it's an addiction to outrage, I think it's a source for some people to realize that there is a constant stream of information that they should be outraged about. They have a lot that matters to them, and the information age has allowed them to realize that the things they care about are easily accessible, and also much more hosed than they previously thought. Not only that, but there are many portions of inequality that, to a layman, are easily sources of outrage, but they are left unaddressed. A person may become overwhelmed by how poo poo society may be, depending on their perspective, but it's less an addiction to outrage, and more a chase of what impassions people to care about politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread